BSB is Go.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: BSB is Go.

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:18 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:59 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:42 pm Is the point of either BSB or Club Racing to feed riders to MotoGP?

Personally I don't think so, BSB exists to make money for who ever runs it, it does this by being entertaining on the telly and attracting crowds, club racing exists to entertain the people who are paying for it, the racers.
Everybody has to start somewhere and thats at club level with the next progression normally to BSB (within its support races) as thats the National License class.

Chaz Davies, Casey Stoner, Sam and Alex Lowes all started in Superteens class at club level. Jake Dixon and Cal Crutchlow started on 600's at club level

All moved to BSB support race classes apart from Stoner. All then moved up into MotoGP or WSB paddocks .

One of the few exceptions to this was Scott Redding. He didnt do UK Club racing and straight into CEV hence his faster route into 125GP than probably any UK kid racer. When he came back to BSB he didnt know any of the circuits having only raced Donington and Silverstone.

The amount of money thrown at some kids at the club racing level is incredible and out of them 1 or 2 will make it to a decent BSB or support class ride each year. Out of all of those 1 or 2 will make it to a world championship paddock every 4-5 years
I agree with all of that, but I don't see what it's got to do with what I posted, IMO the purpose of club racing isn't to produce riders for MotoGP, that it's the only way to get racing experience in the UK means GP riders will have done it.
Lost me. If the purpose of club racing isn't to produce riders, where would they start instead? You can't go into BSB without a high enough licence, you can only get that from club racing, so where would riders start if they can't start club racing?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:04 pm Yeah, Witham mentioned all that. He's proving he can ride any sort of bike, well.
Some of us keep an eye on younger riders before they hit the big time and dont need the Eurosport summary ;)
I agree with all of that, but I don't see what it's got to do with what I posted, IMO the purpose of club racing isn't to produce riders for MotoGP, that it's the only way to get racing experience in the UK means GP riders will have done it.
If i take a parallel thing. The purpose of Air Experience Flights with the Air Cadets is to provide flying experience for many many youngsters. A very few of them then go on to be Fighter Pilots. By that analogy you are correct as its not the purpose it was run for but they will have all done it as part of the journey as they have to start somewhere .... which is where I was coming from ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bugger. Sometimes I have to admit that Bigyin does talk sense sometimes.

But not very often ;)
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:21 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:59 pm

Everybody has to start somewhere and thats at club level with the next progression normally to BSB (within its support races) as thats the National License class.

Chaz Davies, Casey Stoner, Sam and Alex Lowes all started in Superteens class at club level. Jake Dixon and Cal Crutchlow started on 600's at club level

All moved to BSB support race classes apart from Stoner. All then moved up into MotoGP or WSB paddocks .

One of the few exceptions to this was Scott Redding. He didnt do UK Club racing and straight into CEV hence his faster route into 125GP than probably any UK kid racer. When he came back to BSB he didnt know any of the circuits having only raced Donington and Silverstone.

The amount of money thrown at some kids at the club racing level is incredible and out of them 1 or 2 will make it to a decent BSB or support class ride each year. Out of all of those 1 or 2 will make it to a world championship paddock every 4-5 years
Lost me. If the purpose of club racing isn't to produce riders, where would they start instead? You can't go into BSB without a high enough licence, you can only get that from club racing, so where would riders start if they can't start club racing?
Club racing isn’t for young talent it’s for amateurs to have fun ish mainly.

The path to go is minimoto, mini bikes, talent cup, moto3 etc preferably with some of it in Spain. Nowhere do they touch a production bike. If they start older then straight into SS300 then junior superstock but this may limit them to production bike racing.
The lad we sponsor in the ohvale championship is planning this, one of the kids with him has gone straight into talent cup from the minibikes and then hopefully a Spanish championship.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Couchy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:15 pm

The path to go is minimoto, mini bikes, talent cup, moto3 etc preferably with some of it in Spain. Nowhere do they touch a production bike. If they start older then straight into SS300 then junior superstock but this may limit them to production bike racing.
The lad we sponsor in the ohvale championship is planning this, one of the kids with him has gone straight into talent cup from the minibikes and then hopefully a Spanish championship.
That's my point. There needs to be a path
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:19 pm
Couchy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:15 pm

That's my point. There needs to be a path
There is, it’s quite clear and some of it is supported by people backing the kids. Hickman and Laverty run an academy for the mini bikes. They don’t want the kids on production bikes as that is a harder path to GP. This is how the Spanish and Italians do it. Like I say minibikes lead to moto3 bikes so it’s a good thing. The minibikes series is a British series and well supported. The reason most don’t see it is because it’s run at go kart tracks with kids starting at 6-8 years old.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You can guess my next question then.

Why are we not seeing any of these moto3 riders?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:39 pm You can guess my next question then.

Why are we not seeing any of these moto3 riders?
At he moment there are 3 British riders full time in CEV Moto3 with a couple doing the occasional round like O Gorman but looks like he will be a while recovering after his Knockhill crash this weekend

Scott Ogden is the only name i know of the 3 lads in CEV and even he came from the usual Minibike, Metrakit, Superteen and club and British Talent Cup/ BSB Moto3 pathway before going to CEV but picked up by Aspar ..... this is what "should" have happened to Rory Skinner 3 or 4 years ago but didnt have the money
McSatan

Post by McSatan »

Woo hoo! All restrictions removed for BSB Brands weekend after next. I'll be the fat bloke in orange, don't know which post yet, probably Druids or Coopers. Party on, campsite BBQ pissups and everything!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

McSatan wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 am Woo hoo! All restrictions removed for BSB Brands weekend after next. I'll be the fat bloke in orange, don't know which post yet, probably Druids or Coopers. Party on, campsite BBQ pissups and everything!
You'll need to narrow that down quite a bit ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:34 pm
McSatan wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:36 am Woo hoo! All restrictions removed for BSB Brands weekend after next. I'll be the fat bloke in orange, don't know which post yet, probably Druids or Coopers. Party on, campsite BBQ pissups and everything!
You'll need to narrow that down quite a bit ;)
Ooooooooh !

:D
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

And then spend 10 days in isolation ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:04 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:02 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:01 pm Just had my first proper look at Rory Skinner. I like him. He's still riding by the seat of his pants.

He could do very well :)
Kid has been around for years and should have been in the Moto3 grid 3 years ago winning the Talent cup and being Moto GP Red Bull Rookies. Somehow the money wasnt there for the ride that was available and he went back to square one with the family run bike back in the UK
Yeah, Witham mentioned all that. He's proving he can ride any sort of bike, well.
The kid wants to go to the top :)

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/news ... ar-skinner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Some epic racing, tyre choices and crazy battles.

Well worth a watch.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Avoided this thread all weekend as i recorded it each day due to working and watched it each evening ......excellent racing and a great advert for changing the race format from 2 X 20 plus lap races to a club format of 4 X 10 lap races ..... all in, all the time :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub

Post by Skub »

Good racing for the most part, Rory Skinner seemed to be suffering so soon after the arm pump op. He's the man to watch at the moment.

What's going on with Brookes? What a difference a year makes.

GWS to Brad Jones. Posted yesterday by MSVR.

"Brad Jones (iForce Lloyd & Jones BMW) crashed on the opening lap of the first Bennetts British Superbike Championship race at Brands Hatch yesterday (Saturday 24 July).

The race was immediately red flagged, and he was attended to by trackside and vehicle medical teams.

The rider was unconscious at the scene and transferred to the circuit medical centre for further treatment. He was then evacuated by helicopter to Kings College Hospital, London.

He will remain in an induced coma for 24/48 hours after sustaining serious head, chest and pelvic injuries and is receiving all necessary treatment.

MSVR is in direct contact with the family, who extend their thanks for all the support that they are receiving, and to the BSB Medical Team and Racesafe marshals who attended Brad.

Further information will be released when possible. Additional updates are not expected in the next 48 hours".
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955