Bothering at my TDR250

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
cheb

Re: Bothering at my TDR250

Post by cheb »

The broken case will be a long time being fixed, I want to get the bike on the road first and then twitch at the pretty bits.
Potter

Post by Potter »

cheb wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:20 pm I got it runningish today. It's only running on one cylinder, I swapped the plugs over and it still only ran on the same cylinder so I'll be cleaning the carbs later.

I've got some good fuel hose too so I'll likely just renew the whole lot while I'm there.
TDR carbs are notorious for gunking up, I had the same when I put mine back together.
A single run through the ultrasonic cleaner didn't do it, they needed to be stripped and run through a warm chemical clean a few times, then they were ok - but you can't get decent chemicals these days, so even then they weren't perfect - the bike ran a lot better once it had had a few tanks of decent petrol through it, the super unleaded eventually cleaned out the bits that even the ultrasonic cleaner didn't get to.
cheb

Post by cheb »

TBF it has been languishing at the back of the workshop for several years. I've an ultrasonic cleaner and several tins of carb cleaner, and also an outboards carbs to do.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

cheb wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:20 pm I got it runningish today. It's only running on one cylinder, I swapped the plugs over and it still only ran on the same cylinder so I'll be cleaning the carbs later.
Not sure how similar TDR carbs are to LC/YPVS ones, but one area that can cause problems is a buildup of crap behind the 'brass balls'. The only way to clean that part out is by removing said balls and manually cleaning the little air passages. Or taking everything physically removeable off the carb(s), including brass balls, and giving it multiple passes in the ultrasonic bath. After that you've done as much as you can and it just needs to be used regularly.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.