Inevitable new bike thread

Anything you like about motorbikes
MingtheMerciless

Re: Inevitable new bike thread

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Glad he’s OK, a valuable lesson in “everyone is trying to get you”.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Scuffmark

Post by Scuffmark »

I can only echo everybody else , pleased he's OK
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just don't let him join this place. Imagine Iccy_Jnr ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I think when a car pulls out there's not a lot you can do. It's another case of shit driving.

Glad he's OK.
Yamaha rocket 3
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Good to hear he's OK, and good that it's been the sort of crash it has by the sound of it.

Probably sounds bad, but my view is this is positive- all part of learning what can and does happen, so of definite value, with the really good bonus bit of it happening without any broken bones etc
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Really pleased that your lad is ok. As others have said he'll learn from it. Having driven in Qatar (not ridden, except on track) I don't envy any of you!!

My oldest son had exactly the same experience on his 18th birthday. Just passed his test and was riding his MT down a road with a naval base on it, a bus swung out and he (fortunately) swung down the side of it - bouncing off it. Kept the bike upright but with twisted bars and forks. Like your son mine had been coached into the habit of wearing decent gloves, jacket and padded jeans and when he saw the state of them as they'd dragged down the side of the bus he realised why!!!

It went to court as the bus driver denied liability. He was found guilty.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Shit, not good - glad he's OK. Hope doesn't knock his confidence....
Potter

Post by Potter »

I don't think there was anything he could have done, I'd have probably hit it as well. I was on the scene quickly and tbh he had no chance.

The only thing I can think is that sometimes if I see a car at a junction and I'm not sure whether he's seen me then I do a little weave to get his attention so I don't look like a static object and then I get ready. He didn't do either and as a consequence it came as a complete surprise when the bloke pulled out, but he really had no time to react at that point.

I also think it's a good lesson, he's ok, a bit bruised and unnerved but now he'll be a bit wiser. He's had motocross accidents but hitting a car full on was a bigger shock than he's used to.

The bike is scuffed in a few places but otherwise it's ok, the bits that can be replaced have already been done at the shop and the others are on order, but it's ridable and he's ridden it home now. There are no issues over insurance, the police turn up at an accident, decide there and then who's fault it is and issue a slip to each person saying what the outcome is, the insurance then immediately pay out.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I once had a copper tell me (as I was stood by the side of the road looking at my cbr400 with no front end), that when approaching a junction to cover the horn button and look at the car wheels as they're the first thing you see move.

He was being a bit of a prick about it imho, as a Corsa had just taken me out and my bollocks really smarted and that was as sympathetic as he got.

Hope the lad bounces back.
crust

Post by crust »

Ouch, glad he's ok.

Damn, the lesson's come quickly for him. bike's barely run in.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Just getting caught up...

Nice bike, your lad's very lucky

Shit can't believe he's been knocked off already, glad he's OK.

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am I once had a copper tell me (as I was stood by the side of the road looking at my cbr400 with no front end), that when approaching a junction to cover the horn button and look at the car wheels as they're the first thing you see move.

He was being a bit of a prick about it imho, as a Corsa had just taken me out and my bollocks really smarted and that was as sympathetic as he got.

Hope the lad bounces back.
I once had a car pull out on me, I swerved to the other side of the road while sounding the horn. The fucker still got me = 18 months on crutches !
Potter

Post by Potter »

crust wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:08 pm
Damn, the lesson's come quickly for him. bike's barely run in.
At the point of impact it had 49 km's on the clock and I'd done a couple of those.

Just unlucky I suppose.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

He can brag that he got his knee down first day :)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Sorry to hear about the crash... Maybe time for a Science Of Being Seen presentation
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

What's so depressing about these responses is the general theme is "nothing he could do about it".

I'm sorry but that's just not right.

The problem is in the way we teach people to ride. We teach them the basic mechanics of how to get the bike moving, but we teach them nothing about how to manage situations like this.

We've been having this crash since Gottlieb Daimler first stuck a petrol engine between two wheels, and we've done nothing to help new riders recognise the warning signs, then take some evasive action themselves.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:48 pm What's so depressing about these responses is the general theme is "nothing he could do about it".

The problem is in the way we teach people to ride. We teach them the basic mechanics of how to get the bike moving, but we teach them nothing about how to manage situations like this.

We've been having this crash since Gottlieb Daimler first stuck a petrol engine between two wheels, and we've done nothing to help new riders recognise the warning signs, then take some evasive action themselves.
I've taught you well, Spin San.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:48 pm What's so depressing about these responses is the general theme is "nothing he could do about it".

I always suggest observing all hazards well in advance and applying the brakes in good time.

Glad he's ok Iccy. :thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
The Spin Doctor

The thing is to observe a hazard well in advance, you have to know WHY something's a hazard and WHERE you're looking for it, then WHEN it changes from being a potential hazard to a developing hazard, you have to know WHAT you're going to do about it... and HOW to do that.

But we simply don't teach new riders this.

And even experienced riders are happy to blame everyone else. I've been talking strategies for avoiding SMIDSYs for 30 years online... and still people say "just one of those things". It isn't... it takes two to tangle... it may be the driver to set the crash up, but it only happens if the rider rides into it... like this unfortunately lad.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Unless we crawl passed these "car waiting " potential hazard type junctions, these incidents will continue. You can cover the brakes, get ready, but if car pulls out into your path at the last minute, you've got no chance. Poor obs from driver, simple. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

The other side of the coin though Spin, is no matter what we do as riders, and no matter how much training you have had, no matter how much you are aware of a hazard and how it can develop, the other driver will still be a dick and pull out giving the rider no chance at all, irrespective of what precautions they have taken.

It was just this scenario that took me out, absolutely nothing I could do to avoid it.