Weird 6 Nations!

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Druid

Re: Weird 6 Nations!

Post by Druid »

Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:50 pm I wanted France to win!! If only cos the Welsh wanted England to win!!
Not this Welshman. Besides, we need no favours from the Saes.

Wales vs Italy: Wales needed a BP win, job done in under 30 mins. Wales switched off a bit in the second half and should have scored another two or three tries. Of course Italy had 2 yellow cards so played with 14 men for 20 minutes which enabled Wales to win another match by a fluke. There are questions about why Italy are in the 6N but they showed moments of decent rugby in attack, and they're much better than Georgia. Also having Italy in the 6N means Scotland don't get the wooden spoon almost every season :)

England vs France: Good close match, could have gone either way. England were much improved, I thought Itoje's try was very marginal but sometimes you need some luck, or a sympathetic ref ;) France looked dangerous at times but those big heavy forwards were struggling to get around the pitch.

Scotland vs Ireland: Warren Gatland will be wondering why he travelled all the way to Murrayfield to watch this. Both sides were poor. Scotland only winning 1 from 8 lineouts is just unacceptable at this level, and Finn Russel's brainfarts don't make up for his occasional moments of genius. Ireland's forwards were good, Tadhg Furlong's little run with a couple of sidesteps was the highlight of the game, and Beirne put himself about to good effect as usual. Their backs were shit though, with the two Kiwi imports (Gibson Park and Lowe) being the worst.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Druid wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:54 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:50 pm I wanted France to win!! If only cos the Welsh wanted England to win!!
Not this Welshman. Besides, we need no favours from the Saes.

Wales vs Italy: Wales needed a BP win, job done in under 30 mins. Wales switched off a bit in the second half and should have scored another two or three tries. Of course Italy had 2 yellow cards so played with 14 men for 20 minutes which enabled Wales to win another match by a fluke. There are questions about why Italy are in the 6N but they showed moments of decent rugby in attack, and they're much better than Georgia. Also having Italy in the 6N means Scotland don't get the wooden spoon almost every season :)

England vs France: Good close match, could have gone either way. England were much improved, I thought Itoje's try was very marginal but sometimes you need some luck, or a sympathetic ref ;) France looked dangerous at times but those big heavy forwards were struggling to get around the pitch.

Scotland vs Ireland: Warren Gatland will be wondering why he travelled all the way to Murrayfield to watch this. Both sides were poor. Scotland only winning 1 from 8 lineouts is just unacceptable at this level, and Finn Russel's brainfarts don't make up for his occasional moments of genius. Ireland's forwards were good, Tadhg Furlong's little run with a couple of sidesteps was the highlight of the game, and Beirne put himself about to good effect as usual. Their backs were shit though, with the two Kiwi imports (Gibson Park and Lowe) being the worst.
See, normally I talk with people before and after (and sometimes during!) the games with your kind of knowledge. I've really missed that!!

Got a friend out here that knows a lot of ex-rugby players from various countries and he has a friend that used to play for Italy! He said that it was really difficult for them as they knew they just weren't as good. But I guess that there aren't so many teams/players to choose from in Italy as everywhere else?

I'm really looking forward to Saturday as it'll be sociable watching for the day. Bit gutting as wanted France or Ireland to win and it seems as if it won't be either :( But hey ho - at least I'll be watching those three matches with other people (must remember my glasses!!)

:)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Druid

Post by Druid »

France are still in with a chance of winning. They need to win both their remaining games, ideally with 2 bonus points AND for Wales not to get a losing BP. If they drop a point it goes to points difference and Wales have a significantly margin there. There will be pressure on them to get the try BP on Saturday which could work in Wales' favour. Hopefully Wales will win and claim another GS
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Well France certainly turned up for that one! :o
Druid

Post by Druid »

Didn't they just

Best game of the tournament by far, two teams that played some really good rugby. Poor discipline cost Wales in the end, and we had used up all our luck earlier. I'm gutted that we lost but bear in mind that 6 weeks ago I thought we would lose to everyone except Italy, so we've done pretty well.

Have to wait now until Friday to see the final positions, hoping for Scotland to keep them to 20 points but I think France will be too much for them, especially as they know exactly what they need to do
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Definitely a brilliant game! All three winners were my choice on each game, so that was cool :D

The last one had a few of us sitting on the edge of our seats towards the end, but I'm seriously well chuffed!!

Need to see if I can find a couple of friends to watch the game on Friday with but am really hoping that France can beat Scotland big enough to win!

:D :D :D

On the poor discipline, it seemed like Wales were lucky not to lose another player at the end :o The ref seemed to be getting a little p'd off with them!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

That wasn't poor discipline that was tactical - wind down the clock with repeated infringements and risk the ref getting annoyed enough to do something.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

slowsider wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:33 pm That wasn't poor discipline that was tactical - wind down the clock with repeated infringements and risk the ref getting annoyed enough to do something.
That's a point. Totally forgot that! Up until the last try, I was getting sooooo pissed off with the time wasting! But hadn't realised that they would risk players being sent off just to waste time :o
Druid

Post by Druid »

Diolch yn fawr to Scotland

That was a hell of a game, well done to Scotland for hanging on in there and not giving up. Well deserved winners

Wales jammiest Championship winners but I don't care
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yup. Totally gutted that France couldn't pull it together and go for a big win, but pretty chuffed at how well Scotland played :banana-wrench:

Not overly pleased that Wales won, but at least it wasn't a grand slam!! :lol: :lol:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

France won until Doulin had a brain fart and failed to kick to touch. clock was in the red.
Druid

Post by Druid »

slowsider wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:32 pm France won until Doulin had a brain fart and failed to kick to touch. clock was in the red.
We've seen some questionable decisions - I'm looking at you Gareth Davies - but I can't for the life of me figure out what Dulin was trying to do. Why couldn't he have done something that stupid last week? Strangely, if he had kicked it out and France had won by 3 then the final positions would have been exactly the same:

1. Wales - 20
2. France - 19(16)
3. Ireland - 15
4. Scotland - 12(15)
5. England - 10*
6. Italy - 0

*I really enjoyed typing that