Long Way Up

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dodgy69

Re: Long Way Up

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yep, it ain't good advertising for the future of bike trips. Think we're only at the commuting stage at the moment. Think charging anxiety is a thing.

Shame, looks like a great trip aswel. I'm convinced non home/workplace charging is not doable or practical. Waiting hours for a recharge when you need to be moving ain't gonna work. Battery swap stations is possibly the way. πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Good watch though. πŸ‘
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Dodgy knees wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:04 am Battery swap stations is possibly the way.
There was something in the MCN about the big Jap 4 getting together to develop standardised swappable batteries, so sounds like that's the thinking.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:10 am
Dodgy knees wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:04 am Battery swap stations is possibly the way.
There was something in the MCN about the big Jap 4 getting together to develop standardised swappable batteries, so sounds like that's the thinking.
Just like this ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1026
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 am Just like this ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1026
:lol: I knew I'd seen it somewhere else other than MCN but couldn't remember where :oops:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 pm The photo or the actual jacket ? ...... i have a couple of other pics of the jacket if thats what you want and i have the actual jacket at the ATB to try and convince the yoofs i teach to wear protective kit and not rely on the usual grey Nike tracksuit of invincibility
Photos would be good - be interesting to get comments on the failure mode which can be cross-referenced to the crash.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Supermofo wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:10 am
Covered this story some weeks back on my Elevenses webcast :) https://www.youtube.com/user/survivalskillsuk

This episode -

At the moment, from what I've gleaned, I think it's likely to be only scooters and possibly lightweight motorcycles.

Kawasaki have a electric bike based on the 300 Ninja under evaluation, incidentally.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Just watched up to ep 4 inclusive enjoying it so far! :thumbup:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

The Spin Doctor wrote: ↑Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:21 pm
Bigyin wrote: ↑Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:18 pm The photo or the actual jacket ? ...... i have a couple of other pics of the jacket if thats what you want and i have the actual jacket at the ATB to try and convince the yoofs i teach to wear protective kit and not rely on the usual grey Nike tracksuit of invincibility
Photos would be good - be interesting to get comments on the failure mode which can be cross-referenced to the crash.
Wrong thread !
The Spin Doctor

Jody wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:20 am
Wrong thread !
You're right! How did it end up here?

:wtf:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Wrong thread !
The Spin Doctor wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:07 pm

Wrong thread !
You're right! How did it end up here?

:wtf:
Wasnt the wrong thread Spin, you replied to a post on page 2 of this thread. It was just a sideline discussion that didnt relate to Ewan and Charley on leccy bikes.

I'll sort some more photos of the jacket and send them to you on an email :thumbup:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just watched No 4. Really makes you want an adventure. Bikes seem fine but charging probs continue. Great tv, on par with Mortimer and Whitehouse fishing. πŸ‘
Yamaha rocket 3
The Spin Doctor

Bigyin wrote: ↑Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:26 pm
Wasnt the wrong thread Spin, you replied to a post on page 2 of this thread. It was just a sideline discussion that didnt relate to Ewan and Charley on leccy bikes.

I'll sort some more photos of the jacket and send them to you on an email :thumbup:
Ah... yes. Goldfish memory ;)

I used to have the page display on the Rev Counter set to 30 posts or something specifically to stop that kind of thing!
TightRS

Post by TightRS »

I had Amazon Prime for a month and watched Race to Dakar, it was pretty good with various mishaps. It was quite hard to hear sometimes with the generators running at camp though.

Looks like it's free on Youtube, only 360p but the camera resolution wasn't great on Amazon either with the old helmet cams etc.

Full playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _jmn642Pnr
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Bit of a Youtube vid about a Landrover Defender thats been converted to electric.
I'm sort of in two camps with Landies and like them and dislike them at the same time.
I do really like the idea of old vehicles converted to electric as they don't usually have all the spazzy electric door handles and random shite that the modern electric cars seem to be festooned with.

The Landy fairly chucks out the horses mind as its Tesla motors and batteries.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Bigyin wrote: ↑Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:28 pm I have Apple TV as a freebie on my phone but dont fancy watching it on an iphone7 teeny screen
You can watch via the web as well if you've got a PC etc..
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

4 episodes in but its losing me now. The technical problems are more interesting than the dialogue tbh, but there's only so much meat on that bone. I'm also finding the scenery boring, which isn't helping. Snowy hills and landscapes and one horse towns repeated, just don't float my boat. Be glad to see some sun and civilisation, assuming I watch it again.
IOU0

Post by IOU0 »

Taipan wrote: ↑Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 pm 4 episodes in but its losing me now. The technical problems are more interesting than the dialogue tbh, but there's only so much meat on that bone. I'm also finding the scenery boring, which isn't helping. Snowy hills and landscapes and one horse towns repeated, just don't float my boat. Be glad to see some sun and civilisation, assuming I watch it again.
Ep5 is going to be a disappointment then🀣
To be fair, what did you expect from S America?
Doubt you'll see much civilisation until Columbia (unless they visit Machu Pichu)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

IOU0 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Taipan wrote: ↑Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:09 pm 4 episodes in but its losing me now. The technical problems are more interesting than the dialogue tbh, but there's only so much meat on that bone. I'm also finding the scenery boring, which isn't helping. Snowy hills and landscapes and one horse towns repeated, just don't float my boat. Be glad to see some sun and civilisation, assuming I watch it again.
Ep5 is going to be a disappointment then🀣
To be fair, what did you expect from S America?
Doubt you'll see much civilisation until Columbia (unless they visit Machu Pichu)
Well the Hairy Bikers made S AMerica more interesting than this pair! :lol: I'm finding the whole production a bit stilted TBH and am really just hanging round because of my interest in the leccy bikes and pick ups, but as I say there is only so much meat on that bone and they are down to repeating cliches now with both their dialogue and pained expressions. I really want to like this, but...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Don't know why they needed electric trucks aswel, bikes are enough trouble. Proper trucks with fuel and gennies. Hoping ep 6 gets better.
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Quite enjoyed last nights episode. I've realised it was because it was warmer and more sunny. I think I must suffer from SADS or something but dark foreboding skies and snow and rain depress the crap out of me! :D

Harleys seem to be holding up well. I'm impressed. This must be great R&D for the and the leccy trucks.