In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

Tricky wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:09 am And others it could be argued with his irresponsible comments about his time in combat.
Indeed, others might lose their lives as a direct result of his inexcusable "25" stupidity.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Will they though? Pretty sure most ex soldiers who write about soldiering will be giving you enough detail to make it pretty clear they've shot people dead. Unless the book is about how terrible a shot they are.

But yeah, it's another excuse to hang him out to dry innit
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Soldier on active combat duty killed people.

Sorry...I'm not seeing the revelation here?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:04 pm Soldier on active combat duty killed people.

There are likely to be people on here who have killed others, how many talk about it let alone post their count?
I served for ten years and met people with a wide range of experiences, nobody talked about kills. I lived in a mess with one guy for several months before he had a breakdown and jaw dropping stories came out, before that I had no idea what he'd been through.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

For people not overly interested in sleb gossip, some of you sure seem interested in sleb gossip.

I guess it does at least show who reads what papers though eh?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:19 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:04 pm Soldier on active combat duty killed people.

There are likely to be people on here who have killed others, how many talk about it let alone post their count?
I served for ten years and met people with a wide range of experiences, nobody talked about kills. I lived in a mess with one guy for several months before he had a breakdown and jaw dropping stories came out, before that I had no idea what he'd been through.
So the upset is Harry talking about something people would rather avoid?

Maybe 'people' should think more about why it makes them uncomfortable rather than the fact he/someone has talked about it?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:27 pm

Maybe 'people' should think more about why it makes them uncomfortable rather than the fact he/someone has talked about it?
It's the unnecessary details, it looks like a boast as he's talking about himself rather than how war affects people. ' Harry discusses killing people at therapy group' would be acceptable, 'I killed 25 people' isn't.
Assuming of course he wasn't killing the therapy group attendees.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

From the quote I saw he was talking about how the Army taught him to dehumanise those 25 in the context of how that's effected his mental health. I..e not boasting, quite the opposite?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Maybe they're meant to have a little chat and a coffee with them first, before deciding whether to kill them?
irie

Post by irie »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:03 pm Will they though? Pretty sure most ex soldiers who write about soldiering will be giving you enough detail to make it pretty clear they've shot people dead. Unless the book is about how terrible a shot they are.

But yeah, it's another excuse to hang him out to dry innit
He's making a pretty successful job of hanging himself out to dry.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
demographic

Post by demographic »

This from that famously left leaning paper The Financial Times.

"Policy mistakes have been blamed for the UK’s expected economic woes in 2023.

A poll of economists featured on the front page of the Financial Times has revealed an almost universal expectation that Britain will endure the deepest and longest recession among G7 countries.

Forecasts compiled by Consensus Economics show GDP shrinking 1 per cent in 2023, compared with a contraction of just 0.1 per cent for the eurozone and growth of 0.25 per cent in the US.

Inflation is also expected to remain unusually high because of labour shortages in the economy.

As Ricardo Reis puts it, the UK “suffers from an energy shock as bad as Europe’s, an inflation problem as bad as the US and a unique problem of labour supply from the combination of Brexit and the NHS crisis.”

David

Post by David »

We're all doomed Mr Mannering....
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Here's another FT article. ;)
FT wrote:Economists can’t predict the future

https://www.ft.com/content/70b921ba-4fc ... 74c70e0d8c

The article may say something very different, I can't read it.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:53 pm Here's another FT article. ;)
FT wrote:Economists can’t predict the future

https://www.ft.com/content/70b921ba-4fc ... 74c70e0d8c

The article may say something very different, I can't read it.

The rest of that article kind of proves what I was saying though eh?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I think he just pulled that 25 number out of his arse. Was his the only Apache involved? Did they send in ground troops to do a body count?
I know literally hundreds of current & former military, not one of them kept score & talked about it.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:27 pm

Hmmm, that's quite a short-sighted (some may say ignorant ) view IMO.

Leaving aside what is or isn't " the done thing", or what some may think uncomfortable, (and I'm stating what I think is the obvious here ), not everyone will see it or use that disclosure in the happy cuddly educated Dazzle / Deftrap way - this chap for one, and I suspect, more than one or two of his followers...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... s-jihadis/
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Oh dear, They just found a bunch of classified documents at the Biden Center... Remind me, what was it Joe said when some were found at Trumps place? (which it turns out, were old stuff that everyone knew about, that's why it dropped from the news cycle)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Boris Johnson is now an unperson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64223974

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Tricky wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:50 pm Leaving aside what is or isn't " the done thing", or what some may think uncomfortable, (and I'm stating what I think is the obvious here ), not everyone will see it or use that disclosure in the happy cuddly educated Dazzle / Deftrap way - this chap for one, and I suspect, more than one or two of his followers...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... s-jihadis/
I was taking the piss because it seems such an easy, yet another, issue that the guy can be crucified for. He's not the only ex serviceman to have ever pointed out the bleeding obvious. He shot people from a helicopter, we already knew it was a number between 1 and a 1000 unless he's some sort of killing machine. All we know now is that he's guessed at a reasonable number. For the record I probably wouldn't have spilled a number, to many wrong ends of stick to grab at.

The Telegraph gleefully pointing out that terrible hate-preaching Muslims are offering to off Prince Harry. What a quandary! Which side do they decide to back? :D
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:47 pm What a quandary! Which side do they decide to back? :D
Whichever story sells the most copy, as ever.
non quod, sed quomodo