Debanking

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mussels

Re: Debanking

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:28 pm Well, nice (not) work, if you can get it....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66590997

NatWest: Former boss set for £2.4m pay package after Farage row
For most people I'd expect giving the press information about a client would be gross misconduct, I don't understand how she's got away with it so lightly.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mussels wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:44 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:28 pm Well, nice (not) work, if you can get it....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66590997

NatWest: Former boss set for £2.4m pay package after Farage row
For most people I'd expect giving the press information about a client would be gross misconduct, I don't understand how she's got away with it so lightly.
If it were me, I'd be out on my fucking ear before I could say 'GDPR'....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yambo wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:28 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:13 am Her position was untenable. She rode roughshod over GDPR regulation by briefing the media on an individual and told a pack of porkies to boot.

Unbelievable.

And it's the arrogance of it that staggers me. One, that they can deem an individual, who has committed no crime, unfit to hold an account after a number of years on dubious 'moral' grounds. Then to try to slip the media a curve ball to kill the story.

Good to see you say that gremlin.

What are the odds she'll get another high profile job, maybe in banking?

Soapy tenner says she will.

Soapy Tenner . . . ?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Nah. Not in finance.

And if it were me I'd stay at home and roll about naked in all my money. Fuvk working once you've hit the jackpot.
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 pm Fuvk working once you've hit the jackpot.
Most people I know have a FON number - a fuvk-off now number - i.e. the amount of money that they need to down tools and walk away to a life of retired bliss.

IME It rarely stays fixed though because over time you adjust your horizons and you see things that you didn't see before, and maybe realise that you're worth that place in Sevenoaks and trust funds for your kids to help them swerve the rat race.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:56 am
gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 pm Fuvk working once you've hit the jackpot.
Most people I know have a FON number - a fuvk-off now number - i.e. the amount of money that they need to down tools and walk away to a life of retired bliss.

IME It rarely stays fixed though because over time you adjust your horizons and you see things that you didn't see before, and maybe realise that you're worth that place in Sevenoaks and trust funds for your kids to help them swerve the rat race.
Mine is a LOT less than her £2.4m payoff.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

gremlin wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:10 pm Nah. Not in finance.

And if it were me I'd stay at home and roll about naked in all my money. Fuvk working once you've hit the jackpot.

We shouldn't forget that she resigned and wasn't sacked as most right thinking plebs think she should have been.

The board it seems thought her actions were just a bit lower in severity than a misdemeanor. She'll be back (but maybe not in finance - they can't all be blind and stupid I guess).
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:54 am
I remember many years ago my mate got a job on an oil rig and he was earning about £3k a month, it was lottery win money for me, I was at work talking to the lads and fantasising about that kind of money, I distinctly remember saying that I'd only do a few years, pay my house off and then retire to an occasional part-time job in a petrol station or something.

There are various reasons why people keep going, and not just because of greed, e.g. you might think "well I've got enough, but why not do a bit longer and give my lad a whopping great deposit for a house, make life a bit easier for him".
Or maybe you want to be the type of grandparent that can afford to pay for top private schools for your grandkids, etc.

Life is tough, who wouldn't want an older relative that took a view of making hay whilst the sun shines to better provision for his family.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:28 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:54 am
I remember many years ago my mate got a job on an oil rig and he was earning about £3k a month, it was lottery win money for me, I was at work talking to the lads and fantasising about that kind of money, I distinctly remember saying that I'd only do a few years, pay my house off and then retire to an occasional part-time job in a petrol station or something.

There are various reasons why people keep going, and not just because of greed, e.g. you might think "well I've got enough, but why not do a bit longer and give my lad a whopping great deposit for a house, make life a bit easier for him".
Or maybe you want to be the type of grandparent that can afford to pay for top private schools for your grandkids, etc.

Life is tough, who wouldn't want an older relative that took a view of making hay whilst the sun shines to better provision for his family.
me and you are very different people as we've established.
Potter

Post by Potter »

We’re all different.

Hypothetically, if I had a windfall tomorrow that meant I could stop and never work again, or share it with my kids and work for another five years, then the kids would get their share and I’d plod on at work because I know I can.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I always said I'd take the foot off the gas when I'd paid off the mortgage. Well, two paid-off mortgages later and I'm still grafting. I then said I'd jack it in at 55. I'm 54 next month and I think there's feck all chance of that happening. Maybe when the kid's out of uni. Or got her first gaff. Or maybe I'll graft 'til I keel over and die.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:49 am We’re all different.
We're certainly that. Retirement counselling and therapy is in increasing demand (mainly for men and it takes quite a lot to get most men into counselling!). There's a loss of meaning and purpose that some feel acutely apparently. Add to that the fact that some are then moping about and/or 'interfering' in the house and then the wives get fed up too and the existential angst kicks in. I know a few like that, feel they have no purpose any more. Several seem to be constantly going on holidays, not because they're fascinated by new places but because they're 'bored at home'.

Funny old world where people think that the job defines them and without it life loses its meaning. I suppose that's why some of them replace it with the hierarchy of the golf club or outfits like the Lions* (lots of committees and things to organise) etc. I suppose it's like suddenly popping out into the total perspective vortex.

* Not a bad thing given the charitable stuff they do. They get something out of it and so do others.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

On the flip side.

I think it's incredibly sad that someone can spend thirty years doing something and then one morning he can retire, just switch it off, and never look at it again. IMHO that means they wasted thirty years of their life doing something that they weren't interested in.

I've always tried to tread a fine line between getting enough of a buzz out of work to keep me getting out of bed with a bit of enthusiasm (rather than reluctantly trudging there just for money) whilst not being so absorbed by it that it defines who I am and I can't walk away from it.

On a purely financial level I probably don't fit into the western selfish mentality and I'm inclined to be more eastern orientated. There if they have one family member who drops onto a rich seam of earning potential then he keeps going and helps his siblings/kids, rather than just making enough for himself and then quitting. Although the kids in the UK get their own back by bunging their parents into an old peoples home to die rather than looking after them.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

My old man found it tricky to retire (stretched it out to 70 - easy when you're self employed to 'just do that next job' - and he did seem to genuinely get a kick out of thrashing about the country selling stuff) but eventually jacked it in as my mum's whinging about moping around the house waiting for him to come in got too much. They threw themselves into things like the U3A https://www.u3a.org.uk/ part of which is groups for retired folk to piss about together. My dad loves organising things and they made a lot of new friends that way. The downside is that c20 years later they're pretty much the only ones left and the only thing my dad has left to organise is if they can face yet another funeral.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:34 am On the flip side.

I think it's incredibly sad that someone can spend thirty years doing something and then one morning he can retire, just switch it off, and never look at it again. IMHO that means they wasted thirty years of their life doing something that they weren't interested in.

I've always tried to tread a fine line between getting enough of a buzz out of work to keep me getting out of bed with a bit of enthusiasm (rather than reluctantly trudging there just for money) whilst not being so absorbed by it that it defines who I am and I can't walk away from it.
I really enjoyed some of my jobs, some of the time, and had several of them. I never walked away from one thinking 'That's a shame I've just wasted x years there'. Same with retirement. I didn't think I'd wasted those 30 years (did some quite good stuff, some of which I'm quite proud of! Still take an interest in some areas of it). Just looked at retirement as the next job and had a list of things I wanted to do and had the time (and £, fortunately, to do).

A friend retired and worried about how his old department would do without him. I said 'Jobs are a bit like sandcastles mate, the tide comes in and they're gone...in 18 months time nobody will remember you were there - if the department is still there. :D ' Took him a while but he's happy as Larry now. (Bought a place, with land, in Shropshire. 'Eco'd' the land, set up a nice AirBnB in the barn building, volunteered as an usher at the local community cinema etc etc...doesn't have time to mope!).

Also, if people really enjoy what they do, keep doing it...mostly you don't have to retire any more. If it means having a deep and meaningful conversation at home explaining that what the other half wants will make you unhappy, have the conversation...work it out - before doing it. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I have a mate that has retired at the age of 47.

He was a senior Actuary for Axa.

He spends his life now just travelling around and also does some exam marking (Maths) for one of the Uni's here in Bristol to earn an extra few bob.

He drinks like a fish, even more than he did when he was working, so that takes up a lot of his time too.

Personally i would leave work at the drop of a hat if i won enough to do so and work more on my music interests. My job is very much just a money earner and i really don't have the passion for IT to make it into a career like so many do. I'd pretty much 100% guarantee any person in an IT support role would tell you the same...;)

I don't really get career driven people. They spend all their life making rich people richer and forget to find a passion of their own and make that their goal to achieve. People are just blinkered by money and the greed element steps in once you have enough, i am seeing this more and more as i get older, even some of my mates have turned to the dark side and work almost 24/7 just so they can have the things they don't really need but society tells them they do!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Well vive la difference.

Personally I find it perplexing and paradoxical that people that don't like work very much, don't try and earn as much as they can so they don't have to do it for so long. If I really didn't like work then I'd go for a massive salary so I only had to do it for a few years.
Ant

Post by Ant »

My Dad retired at 55, took a massive pay off too, wish I could do that, but I do alright I suppose innit.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Sad maybe, but I'm dreading retirement. I actually like what I do (sysadmin & DBA, real-time control systems).
I hate gardening & DIY.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ian wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:09 pm Sad maybe, but I'm dreading retirement. I actually like what I do (sysadmin & DBA, real-time control systems).
I hate gardening & DIY.
I was sysadmin & DBA. Also hate gardening. But love DIY