The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
MingtheMerciless

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Gotta be a shoe in for Pinkbike Friday Fails.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Re the forks ( though not the most important thing) it looks like the lower leg casting could just be replaced. Are the stanchions straight?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:49 am Re the forks ( though not the most important thing) it looks like the lower leg casting could just be replaced. Are the stanchions straight?
Impossible to say, but i've emailed XFusion to see if they can be purchased. No reply as of yet, but it is only 8.52am :D
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:52 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:49 am Re the forks ( though not the most important thing) it looks like the lower leg casting could just be replaced. Are the stanchions straight?
Impossible to say, but i've emailed XFusion to see if they can be purchased. No reply as of yet, but it is only 8.52am :D
where is their dedication and customer service ?
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:41 pm Earlier

Image2022-10-30_09-40-37 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
That is just too kool for skool 8-)

I'm sure he'll heal quick. Its all part of the game, and when people ask him what he was doing when he broke the coillarbone, he can show them that instead of the vid.
Are the girls at school queuing up yet?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:50 pm Are the girls at school queuing up yet?
They don't exist in his brain/world. He's still pretty innocent.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Spent 30 mins this morning swapping the front/rear springs on the blue GT to convert it back to the boys setting. Also took 20mm off the bars overall as they were wider than his purple bike. So even though he can't ride for some weeks, it's all good to roll.

I've bought and paid for a set of Boxxer Select 2021 models which are air sprung so that'll be interesting.

I'm just waiting for confirmation from Upgrade bikes on getting the XFusion forks booked in for replacement lowers (assuming they're straight), seems to come in at a not-insanely expensive £240 fitted with a service too...So that'll be done as a winter project and either kept for spares or sold on. Probably kept for spares so they can be fitted back on when it's eventually sold on as he gets bigger.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:45 am I'm just waiting for confirmation from Upgrade bikes on getting the XFusion forks booked in for replacement lowers (assuming they're straight), seems to come in at a not-insanely expensive £240 fitted with a service too...So that'll be done as a winter project and either kept for spares or sold on. Probably kept for spares so they can be fitted back on when it's eventually sold on as he gets bigger.
Bike is booked in, well, the forks are... just waiting for Evri to collect and take them to Upgrade Bikes now to be repaired.

These are due at my door on Sat morning as replacements. Boxxer Select, so they're air forks instead of coil, which could be useful. We'll then decide when he's back riding as to which forks he prefers and sell one set on.

Due to cancelling some races/events we've now booked 3 dates below.

It's possible the 10th Dec may be a couple of weeks or a week too early for him, but they say kids heal fast and it's only £35 to find out. He's also got the 18th Dec with Katy Curd Coaching, although sadly he's deffo missing the coaching on the 20th Nov as that's too soon for him.

https://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/events/

We’ve booked 10th Dec, 30th Dec, 8th Jan.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

1 week in now and recovery is moving along nicely. He can actually move it about a bit, sleep better.. Still in a sling of course for now.

Still a bit of 'wait and see' in terms of what, where, when etc for him, but i think his target is 100% race at FoD on the 11th Dec. Along with the Pearce open day on the 10th to get his eye in.... That'll be 6 weeks since hitting the floor, so not completely impossible that he'll be OK for it.

The Boxxers arrive today and will be chucked in the bike, i can then start giving it a proper check over this evening. I think the rear wheel may need a check from the crash, but it's not too bad.

We've also sold a set of spare wheels which were the DT Swiss in 150 rear and 110 non-boost, the reason is, they're for the spare BLue bike... So really i'm not seeing much point in keeping them. So they'll be replaced by a spare set for the purple bike which is now standard 148*12 on the back and boost 110*20 on the front.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

New wheel day :)

With the difference in sizes between both the blue and the purple, making my world a bit more complex i've now sold the spares for the blue bike and bought spares for the purple instead. Yes, they're a bit on the orange side of things. :D

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Xfusion forks are back… which considering i only sent them on Friday i think, is pretty damn remarkable !

Big shout to Upgrade Bikes. They’ve got super spangly decals on too… I could almost flog them as completely new… but i won’t risk that just in case the lad hates the Boxxers
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2022-11-12_03-38-14 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2022-11-12_03-38-06 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Image2022-11-12_03-38-01 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Forks collected after servicing, fitted to the bike for testing.. But the lad wants to run the XFusion for first day out as he knows them and knows how they feel, handle etc... Bit weird in a way as personally i'd spend time getting the Boxxers sorted, but it's his bike and his racing, so it's not my place.
After some testing outside today he thinks he'll be OK for coaching next weekend. Me, again, i'm not massively convinced lol... but he was admittedly fairly convincing :D
So we'll see what next weekend brings.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I bet he's dying to get back on and do some proper riding again, even if just to put that massive crash behind him.
Has he been to the Marc Marquez school of how to find the limit? - :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:12 pm I bet he's dying to get back on and do some proper riding again, even if just to put that massive crash behind him.
Has he been to the Marc Marquez school of how to find the limit? - :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
That's a good question and up to now i don't know the answer as to how it will affect him. He's usually straight back up and on the pace quickly, but he's rarely crashed in anger so we'll see if it affects the confidence or not.... Dunno.
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:14 pm
G.P wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:12 pm I bet he's dying to get back on and do some proper riding again, even if just to put that massive crash behind him.
That's a good question and up to now i don't know the answer as to how it will affect him. He's usually straight back up and on the pace quickly, but he's rarely crashed in anger so we'll see if it affects the confidence or not.... Dunno.
My money is on him being up to speed pretty quick. Here's hoping anyway !
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well as much as some are likely to disagree, i’ve just spent an hour while waiting for a HPe unit to update swapping the boys brakes over on the older blue GT Fury.

Removed : SRAM Code R
Added : SRAM Guide

Now i know the argument is, the Codes are better, but someone commented not long ago about getting things ‘the same’ so he’s got the same grips, the same brakes, the same pedals on the spare bike. There was nothing wrong with the Codes really, but just slightly different of course, so as stated i wanted the same.

It also made me realise i need to order a couple of 203 rotors up for them both as a couple of the rotors i have are center lock and we don’t really use the center lock wheel any more
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

yeah yeah, i know... but he's 14... he loves the Max Power look :D

Image2022-11-16_12-38-40 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

more new rubber

Image2022-11-17_03-03-59 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »