The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

Watches have gone properly mental now, we went out yesterday and the Rolex shop is pretty much down to bare shelves. We had an idea to get our eldest the same watch we bought our middle daughter at the end of last year, but even that wasn't available.

I saw a nice Patek in another shop, one you don't see too often so I popped in to enquire, it's a £30k watch and he wanted £75k, so I smiled and left.

I don't know if that bubble will hold and I'm not willing to find out either, it's just crackers. The Rolex bloke said Febs shipment came in this week and went straight out the door to buyers with big pockets.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 am
Gedge wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:27 pm Be nice if it stays technical / advice driven for watch nerds ( or wannabe watch nerds) and stays away from ‘I’m considerably richer than yaow ‘ type posts .
I agree, but in order to keep it civil and sensible let's all accept that people have different budgets and different reasons for wanting what they want.
If instead of delivering insults in the "Astrazeneca/Oxford" thread you had kept it "civil and sensible" that thread would not have been locked. Again.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

irie wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:09 pm
Potter wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 am
Gedge wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:27 pm Be nice if it stays technical / advice driven for watch nerds ( or wannabe watch nerds) and stays away from ‘I’m considerably richer than yaow ‘ type posts .
I agree, but in order to keep it civil and sensible let's all accept that people have different budgets and different reasons for wanting what they want.
If instead of delivering insults in the "Astrazeneca/Oxford" thread you had kept it "civil and sensible" that thread would not have been locked. Again.
Please - can we not? :(
non quod, sed quomodo
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Today's watch - this is my daily wearer at the moment

Nice little microbrand - seiko movement. The bezel is rotated by a second winder and it has a decent quality to it which belies the price.

Potter

Post by Potter »

I really like that, not heard of the brand but I'll have a look now.

What is the accuracy like? I really liked my Seiko 5 military watch but I just couldn't live with the terrible accuracy, I'm not talking seconds, it was minutes every day.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:17 am I really like that, not heard of the brand but I'll have a look now.

What is the accuracy like? I really liked my Seiko 5 military watch but I just couldn't live with the terrible accuracy, I'm not talking seconds, it was minutes every day.
The accuracy is fine. Time loss isn’t noticeable. It is a fairly baisc movement, but it does hack and seems to have a good reserve. For the cost, it’s a decent movement,

The pics don’t do the dial justice, it’s a lovely dark green with sapphire glass. The size is good for me at 42mm but if there’s a criticism it’s that is a bit deep at 15mm.

https://spinnaker-watches.co.uk/collect ... sp-5062-04
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Liking this one...but maybe on a strap instead.

I've recently referred a friend of mine to my employer, if he gets the job (which looks likely) I'll get a nice little bonus. At the moment it's a toss up between the Spinnaker and the Seiko SKX.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am I've recently referred a friend of mine to my employer, if he gets the job (which looks likely) I'll get a nice little bonus. At the moment it's a toss up between the Spinnaker and the Seiko SKX.
May me contentious but I keep looking at the modded SKX's, seems to be a huge market in the parts and some look brilliant.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 am May me contious but I keep looking at the modded SKX's, seems to be a huge market in the parts and some look brilliant.
Some of the Seiko mods do look great, I worry about quality though. Some enthusiasts may be OK, some may just be chucking stuff on.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:56 am
v8-powered wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 am May me contious but I keep looking at the modded SKX's, seems to be a huge market in the parts and some look brilliant.
Some of the Seiko mods do look great, I worry about quality though. Some enthusiasts may be OK, some may just be chucking stuff on.
I'm following a company called Namoki, thy seem to have a decent following and the product does look very good....
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am
I've recently referred a friend of mine to my employer, if he gets the job (which looks likely) I'll get a nice little bonus. At the moment it's a toss up between the Spinnaker and the Seiko SKX.
If you want to 'test-drive' an SKX-alike, I might be selling one of these soon :

https://www.steeldiveuk.com/product-pag ... iver-watch

(mine doesn't have the GreenMarine branding, and a couple of other minor differences)
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:27 am I've recently referred a friend of mine to my employer, if he gets the job (which looks likely) I'll get a nice little bonus. At the moment it's a toss up between the Spinnaker and the Seiko SKX.
May me contentious but I keep looking at the modded SKX's, seems to be a huge market in the parts and some look brilliant.
Most of them seem to be trying to make a fake Submariner or Yachtmaster though :D

I wouldn't call this a mod per se, but I like the combo.

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:21 am
v8-powered wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:37 am
Most of them seem to be trying to make a fake Submariner or Yachtmaster though :D

I wouldn't call this a mod per se, but I like the combo.

Yep, that's the sort of thing. A lot of really nice modded Seikos out there...
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

This may go into the 'pleasing purchase' thread as well - but I'm currently very happy with what turned up this morning from the US of A. :D

(warning, shitty photos ahead)

It's a modified TAG 1000 series:
the Dial from is a specific model that was only produced for a few years, and was an 'economy' model: brass/chrome case, push in crown and other modification for lowering the price.

But for some reason I REALLY like the way it looks. :D

This has been mated with an original stainless steel 'thincase', fitted with a screw-in crown, proper sapphire crystal, and an aftermarket 'coke' bezel (same manufacture, different material).

Compared to my 844 it seems like a bit of a toy, but I'm loving it. :D

non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm up and down with the red/blue bezels, they've been very popular over the last few years but I'm still undecided, some I like some I don't.

I have the James Bond Commanders watch with that style bezel, but I'm still undecided whether I really like it, IMHO it would look much better if it was just blue.
I haven't worn it for a couple of years and when I did it got attention because of the Instagram crowd, the Rolex Pepsi has become a big fashion accessory and I kept getting people that know nothing about watches asking if it is one of those.

Potter

Post by Potter »

When we were out the other day facing bare Rolex shelves I decided to pop into Omega and have a look at a speedy moon watch, they say everyone should have one in their collection, it's a nice watch and it's really starting to appreciate in value as well now, so I thought I'd have a look.

Too late, there are none on the shelves and they don't know when they will get more.
The cheapest I could fine one (here) was a secondhand one at £800 over retail price.

Certain watches (and almost all Rolex Professional range) have jumped into the realms of derivatives and tulip bulbs now, the price has no bearing on the actual item. Not all the very expensive stuff either, some Seiko's have always been high end and desirable but as discussed some traditionally less expensive Seiko's have gone crackers in appreciation as well.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I've been offered a Speedmaster CK2998 with 2.5 years warranty remaining, bit undecided if I'm honest. A lot people say it's the one to get but doesn't really do a lot for me....
moth

Post by moth »

Potter wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:59 am When we were out the other day facing bare Rolex shelves I decided to pop into Omega and have a look at a speedy moon watch, they say everyone should have one in their collection, it's a nice watch and it's really starting to appreciate in value as well now, so I thought I'd have a look.

Too late, there are none on the shelves and they don't know when they will get more.
The cheapest I could fine one (here) was a secondhand one at £800 over retail price.

They're on sale at just about every High Street chain here.

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/ ... let+watch/
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Send me the cash and I'll pick one up for you Iccy, £750 finder's fee.

Can't say fairer than that.

No? What about 700?
Potter

Post by Potter »

moth wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:27 am They're on sale at just about every High Street chain here.

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/ ... let+watch/
They’re advertised here too but no physical stock.
I’m on my phone though so I haven’t checked your link to see if we’re talking about the same watch.

I’m very sure I could source one if I cba, but I can’t.