New bike thread!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
ajlog

Re: New bike thread!

Post by ajlog »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:28 pm
Scotsrich wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:25 pm Well that didn’t go without a hiccup.

The bars were fine, tight but I knew that but the engine bars were too wide.

Either the 1250 is quite a bit wider than the 1200 or the engine bars are different i.e further out from the cylinder heads.

So I ended up taking the gate off, so now that’s even more expense to get a new gate made and put round the back of the pillars rather than fixed to the sides.
I know where you're coming from with this. There are any number of bikes (mainly adventure style jobbies) that are off-limits to me as they simply won't fit down the passageway between me and my neighbour's house (we live in a terrace). I have even thought about removal of a course of bricks at handlebar height, but saw sense in time.

It's definitely an issue though. Bikes are getting bigger and wider year on year. Not even a vague concern if you live in a detached house with double garage, but not everyone does. I've had to fit narrower bars to two bikes I own - the Duke 690 and the Falco.

I had exactly the same with a my KTM and Vertemati Supermotos in our last house. My solution was to remove the bars to get the bikes down the alley.
It’s not as much of a hassle as it sounds, 4 bolts to remove the bar clamp and steer holding the top of the forks.

Added bonus was once refitted it was impossible to get the bike out of the garden, so any prospective scrote would be foiled early doors.