General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Taipan »

The Cloud. Bastard thing! :angry-cussingblack:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:36 pm The Cloud. Bastard thing! :angry-cussingblack:
There is no cloud, it's just just someone else's computer.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:38 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:36 pm The Cloud. Bastard thing! :angry-cussingblack:
Not exactly.

It's quite a few of them. Rather than 1.

Some exist physically, most don't
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:11 pm
Not exactly.

Unless you have your data spread over a number of cloud providers, you are essentially using a single logical computer. It won't be a single computer, it will be a server farm with god knows how many individual machines, but they will function as a single point of presence. And hanging off the back end will be another mega-farm of disc drives all hooked together to appear as a single unit. So my statement is simplistic, but essentially correct.

You are basically handing your data over to someone you don't know and have never met and you haven't even got a clue where in the world it's being housed. I wouldn't do that even if you paid me to.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:27 pm

Not exactly.

Unless you have your data spread over a number of cloud providers, you are essentially using a single logical computer. It won't be a single computer, it will be a server farm with god knows how many individual machines, but they will function as a single point of presence. And hanging off the back end will be another mega-farm of disc drives all hooked together to appear as a single unit. So my statement is simplistic, but essentially correct.

You are basically handing your data over to someone you don't know and have never met and you haven't even got a clue where in the world it's being housed. I wouldn't do that even if you paid me to.
Lol if they didn't, then a lot of us wouldn't get paid next month. Without servers I'd be living in a box under a bridge.

Do you not have Gmail then? Hotmail? Dropbox? Imagine sharing? Even WhatsApp, SMS messages
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:32 pm

Not exactly.

Lol if they didn't, then a lot of us wouldn't get paid next month. Without servers I'd be living in a box under a bridge.

Do you not have Gmail then? Hotmail? Dropbox? Imagine sharing? Even WhatsApp, SMS messages
Yes I use Gmail and I'm fully aware that my emails are hosted on Google's servers, likewise with my Yahoo email account and I'm very careful about what sits on there. But none of my photos, music, films, personal documents etc. are hosted on the cloud, they're all on my hard disks that sit behind a firewall.

Why would you be living in a box under a bridge without somebody else's servers? What's wrong with storing your own data on your own device? (Email excepted, I'll give you that).
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:39 pm

Yes I use Gmail and I'm fully aware that my emails are hosted on Google's servers, likewise with my Yahoo email account and I'm very careful about what sits on there. But none of my photos, music, films, personal documents etc. are hosted on the cloud, they're all on my hard disks that sit behind a firewall.

Why would you be living in a box under a bridge without somebody else's servers? What's wrong with storing your own data on your own device? (Email excepted, I'll give you that).
Because servers, coulds, hosting, clusters, virtualization and telecommunications are my job.

That's why I took on this place.
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:27 pm You are basically handing your data over to someone you don't know and have never met and you haven't even got a clue where in the world it's being housed. I wouldn't do that even if you paid me to.
Apart from Google et al hoovering up and flogging data from search terms and email content, what do you think is going to happen with your data and photos?

Nothing's free. That's the price to use the service.

An interesting one, though, is Facebook's T&Cs.

Specifically, when you share, post or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free and worldwide licence to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Facebook, you give us permission to store, copy and share it with others

That came up a few years ago when Fb allowed an image of IIRC a British 14 yr old girl (who appeared older) to be used in an Australian advert. 'Allowed' being 'paid for'.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:41 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:39 pm

Because servers, coulds, hosting, clusters, virtualization and telecommunications are my job.

That's why I took on this place.
Just because it's your job doesn't mean you have to drink the Kool-aid and keep your data in the cloud. It's precisely because I worked in the IT industry for nearly 5 decades that I'm deeply suspicious of it. It provided me with pretty much everything I own but that doesn't mean I trust the industry any further than I could throw it.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:23 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:27 pm You are basically handing your data over to someone you don't know and have never met and you haven't even got a clue where in the world it's being housed. I wouldn't do that even if you paid me to.
Apart from Google et al hoovering up and flogging data from search terms and email content, what do you think is going to happen with your data and photos?

Specifically, when you share, post or upload content that is covered by intellectual property rights on or in connection with our Products, you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free and worldwide licence to host, use, distribute, modify, run, copy, publicly perform or display, translate and create derivative works of your content (consistent with your privacy and application settings). This means, for example, that if you share a photo on Facebook, you give us permission to store, copy and share it with others

That came up a few years ago when Fb allowed an image of IIRC a British 14 yr old girl (who appeared older) to be used in an Australian advert. 'Allowed' being 'paid for'.
Quite. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:45 pm

But you still use some services. How do you decide which company, which service?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

All I know is they are an effin long way away when you're trying to work on live images!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:07 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:45 pm

But you still use some services. How do you decide which company, which service?
Email is the only cloud service I use, as it's pretty much impossible to avoid. And even then there are only a few major players - the usual suspects such as Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Apple etc. I regard them all as equally untrustworthy and do my best to commit nothing of importance to them. If I was really keen/paranoid I'd use something like the Tor browser and find an ethical email hoster, but quite frankly I CBA.

All my non-email data is held on my PCs hard drives, and I refresh them all from my main PC every few months. The PC in Sheffield is my most up to date copy and the PCs in Stafford and France get updated as and when. IWFM.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:11 pm All I know is they are an effin long way away when you're trying to work on live images!
I know that one.

A few years ago we did dozens of projects typically gathering hours of HS video from multiple cameras.

All stored on in-house servers. Easy and quick to browse to find the right file. Luckily we finished that before it all went 'onto the cloud'.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:25 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:11 pm All I know is they are an effin long way away when you're trying to work on live images!
I know that one.

A few years ago we did dozens of projects typically gathering hours of HS video from multiple cameras.

All stored on in-house servers. Easy and quick to browse to find the right file. Luckily we finished that before it all went 'onto the cloud'.
The IT guys will have to set me up some local folders that can sync overnight, but Lightroom wont like or accept that.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:32 pm... Without servers I'd be living in a box under a bridge...
No you wouldn't. Without servers you wouldn't be living under a bridge, surviving on adventurous baby goats.

You'd get yourself a proper job. ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:43 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:32 pm... Without servers I'd be living in a box under a bridge...
No you wouldn't. Without servers you wouldn't be living under a bridge, surviving on adventurous baby goats.

You'd get yourself a proper job. ;)
Shudder
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:23 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:43 pm You'd get yourself a proper job. ;)
Shudder
I got made redundant age 50, had to get a job and work for a living. It didn't turn out too bad.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Let an oncoming truck through a gap today even though i had right of way. Behind it was a lone police woman who never even seen me letting them through. Its not the lack of acknowledgement that pissed me off it was the fact she was driving with her face and one hand in her lap playing on a fucking phone. Wish i was in the other van with the dash cam.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Just got home and the neighbours and their 'gardeners'* think that this is the perfect time of year to trim their hedges. (There's quite a lot of hedge). It's still bird nesting season. :roll:

Anyway, you're supposed to do it in August-September to minimise the risk of disease. (They've already managed to kill some bits and had to interplant it).

* 2 random blokes with a collection of petrol powered equipment. Their main talent is making bonfires.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire