What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:05 pm Something I don't have to do very often, thankfully, which is to rip my lot at work a new arsehole.

When you've told people what to do, demonstrated the reasons for having to do it and given them the tools by which to do it, and they don't, leaving you with egg on your face and a small issue of Eur 256,000,000 to deal with, I get bloody annoyed.

They're old enough and ugly enough to know better. FFS.

Rant over.
Over or under?

I'm just back in from helping on a missing person search. Happily they were found safe and well.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Sitting in my home office at 6.45am and my boy pokes his nose around the door...

Him - Do you want to go out on the bikes?
Me - Where?
Him - Anywhere, does it matter?
Me - No. Let's go!

Just taken a breather at the end of the Palm opposite the new mooring for the cruise ships.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:27 pm Just been up to paint the new bit of the pergola roof. Been waiting for a cloudy day so don't get burned.
Soon as I started the clouds went :(

It was hot and the white paint reflecting the sun.

But Yorick's law of working says, the hotter the day, the better the cold beer tastes.

20210706_162647.jpg
If the UAE stays on the red list and Lanzarote goes green then you might find me knocking on your door for a glass of that beer at the end of the month :lol:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Will be off to Costco early as my bedroom tv has shit the bed. Will be getting (a slightly bigger) one that I can also use for Amazon Prime Video & things of that ilk.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:19 am Sitting in my home office at 6.45am and my boy pokes his nose around the door...

Him - Do you want to go out on the bikes?
Me - Where?
Him - Anywhere, does it matter?
Me - No. Let's go!

Just taken a breather at the end of the Palm opposite the new mooring for the cruise ships.
You didn't stop for a crafty smoke down at Jebel Ali did you? :shock:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... cross-city
Potter

Post by Potter »

We're 23 miles away from there and everyone went outside to see what the almighty bang was, I dread to think what it was like at the actual spot.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just been swimming again. Asked the physio yesterday if it was ok to swim so often and he just said "does it feel ok?" So, despite REALLY wanting to curl up on the sofa and snooze, I hauled ass to the pool. The coach/lifeguard handed me the resistance thingy I use for exercises and the flippery thingies.

I managed a whole 6 lengths :( :( :( My arm was sooooo tired :( :( So I gave up. Can't swim tomorrow cos have 2 x physio and a french lesson, so will go back on Saturday with, hopefully, rested arm muscles so I can go back to 12-14 lengths!!

Came home to chill out and the kitten is in full attack mode. Little bastard!! LOL :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
r1flyguy

Post by r1flyguy »

Just had my cast off my left wrist after 5 weeks, stiff, smelly, bruised and still sore, but my arm has a great tan line and feels lighter if nothing else :)

Amazing how little movement I have in it at the moment, physiotherapist gave me a book of exercises to do daily so I’ll crack on (no pun intended) with those.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

r1flyguy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:23 pm Just had my cast off my left wrist after 5 weeks, stiff, smelly, bruised and still sore, but my arm has a great tan line and feels lighter if nothing else :)

Amazing how little movement I have in it at the moment, physiotherapist gave me a book of exercises to do daily so I’ll crack on (no pun intended) with those.
Be gentle but firm too, slowly, but keep the pressure going.. you'll soon get the movement back.
Skub

Post by Skub »

r1flyguy wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:23 pm Just had my cast off my left wrist after 5 weeks, stiff, smelly, bruised and still sore, but my arm has a great tan line and feels lighter if nothing else :)

Many moons ago I fell off the bike and because I was just wearing jeans,I buffed through my left kneecap and severed the main tendon. The two ends had to be retrieved and sewn back together and my leg was in a full cast for 3 months to keep it straight. When the cast was finally removed,it was a shock to see this pale,withered leg which had no strength or bending.

The physioterrorist got me back to 100% movement after about 5 months of blood,sweat and tears,so do the exercises religiously and you'll get there man. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
cheb

Post by cheb »

Finally back home after the plane I should have taken was declared unfit to fly because of a broken windscreen.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Wandered over to Costco to look at tv's. I can either get an upfraded version of the 32in Vizio that shit the bed for $169...

... or there are several other 43in right around $400.. altho they did have a 43in Hisense for $340, not touching that with someone else barge pole.

Thinking 43in LG.... For the mo, I'm enjoying a day without news :)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Driving home from yoga, I had to do a bit of a double-take. Saw what looked like a Nissan Micra on its roof, wheels spinning with somebody crawling out of the driver's window. Then realised that that's exactly what it was. Pulled over, sat the fella down on the verge, assessed his injuries. All I could see was a cut in his wrist where I think he crawled over broken glass getting out. Called the experts and waited, and by this time we had helpful neighbours bringing first aid kits and an off duty nurse. By the time I left there were all three emergency services in attendance which, as I commented to the casualty, I had never achieved in all my years of woefully poor driving. :D

Anyway, his guardian angel had his back tonight as the car was fucked. Arsehole lucky.

As for me, I have blood on my shorts, but the yoga kept my chakras in balance.

Namaste.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Did you get his wallet?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Well this is where I got to...

Went back to Costco noticed the 43in LG & the 50in LG were the exact same price & specs etc. :wtf: Odd, I'll just get the bigger one. :thumbup:

Couldn't get me, roomie & TV in the Accord at the same time. :lol: Left her there & bought the TV home, went back to get her.
So that's three fucking trips to Costco today (it's about 2 miles away)

Unbox tv. notice the space between the legs is longer than the length of the top of the book case. :(

Drive to WallyWorld for wall mount (had already thought about this anyway, so no biggie) :thumbup:

Attach bracket to back of TV. 8-)

Can't find the fucking stud finder that I saw just 2 or 3 weeks ago & as it's over 130deg in the damn garage decide it would be easier & healthier just to buy a damn new one. Was about to drop in the garage from the heat, vision was getting sketchy.

So tomorrow morning I was planning to head to Lowes to get a spiffy new stud finder. FFS.

Had to go back to Costco a FOURTH fucking time later tonight to gas the car up, couldn't even get near the place on the previous three trips there today. Managed to hit Lowes on the way back & now have a spiffy new stud finder.

For now the TV is working, sitting on a WorkMate & leaning slightly against the book case in the bedroom :)

and breathe....

& then I had an epiphany! With the wall mount I can move the tv further towards the corner of the room above the computer desk & free up the top of the bookcase for more books!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Almost forgot the important part of my day:

Was chatting with the rather pneumatic milf that works at the lottery store this morning. She was telling me she's going back to her regular job soon & will be at the store fewer hours. At some point in the conversation she mentioned "people our age around 40" :shock:
She appeared to be genuinely sursprised when I told her I was 61. 8-)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Now I have the opposite problem... First I had a tv that wouldn't turn on, now I have one that doesn't want to turn off. :roll:

About 11.45 last night I turned the tv & cable box off. :thumbup:

A few seconds later the tv lights up again & tells me it has no signal :?

Then it turned on the cable box (actually Direct TV) :wtf:

So I turned it all off again. :thumbup:

Then the tv lit up again, told me it had no signal... then it started streaming content via the internet. :shock:

So I turned it all off again. :thumbup:

I went through this fucking rigamarole at least 9 times before finally getting out of bed & unplugging the TV. :evil:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

2 x physio and a french lesson.

The lessons with this teacher are seriously good/hard!! By the end of each 1.5 hours, I feel like my brain is melting out of my ears!!!! You've have thought that, living in an area well known for melted cheese dishes, I would remember the word for melt!! LOL LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

My second physio complimented me on my spoken French :D :D I did have to give up trying to speak it as his fingers dug further into shoulder/arm muscles that needed 'releasing'!! LOL

A mate come over to meet the kitten too, we had a great chat and her hubby is going to come over next week to help me sort out what to do with the bastard-blownup VW minibus - which is fab (he's French so better to talk to him about navigating the good and bad about it)

Currently chilling with the moglet and waiting for a text cos might be meeting a couple of friends for a 'lemonade' later.

Here's hoping the sun stays out for the weekend so I can do some warmer swimming :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Be prepared for slow progress to start but it will come with time as long as you dont push too much at the start. Once you have some strength back in it swimming is superb for any recovery on joints as low impact but gives resistance :thumbup:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

WooT!! Solved the power off issue :banana-wrench: & got the tv hung on a wall.. that was a bit sketchy by myself. :roll:

...especially as the top of the tv is only 5in from the ceiling :shock:

reflection from lights is not an issue from the bed or the computer desk etc. Will sort cables later & also have to tilt it forward a bit

Last edited by ZRX61 on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.