If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Ant

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Ant »

Potter wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:54 pm
Mussels wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:30 pm I'm not sure racism has a clear meaning anymore.
I'm also lazy with the term, I sometimes use it simply to mean an objection to someone different than them.
I'm not sure I've ever met a real racist, someone that can put up a decent argument for hating a whole race of people.

And sometimes it's hard to pick the bones out of it, for example, if Andy Burnham had come up with the same plan as Kwasi Kwarteng then would he have got a lot less shit for it?
Kwasi was 100% given grief just because he's black, even a Labour MP was suspended for making racist comments about him. Liz was ousted via a misogynistic campaign, whilst the root of the cause, the bank of England got off with it yet again.
Ant

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:30 pm I'm not sure racism has a clear meaning anymore. It used to be racist to treat darker skinned people differently, when colour-blindness was mostly achieved it became about not treating them differently. It was convenient to group all darker skins together against whitey until it showed whitey was being disadvantaged, then it focussed on various smaller groups to produce the right figures for different stats.
It is just a word militants like to shout for whatever their cause is and they change the meaning to suit each time.
It's obvious when hard of thinking militants try to import every American social problem over here, they don't care if it's relevant.
A long time ago, one would be mortified to be called a racist, but these days, it's just used for anything where someone hasn't got their own way.

Didn't get that job because a white person who's far more experienced and qualified for the job got it? Then shout racism, at the top of your hard done by voice.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Ant wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:20 pm Kwasi was 100% given grief just because he's black, even a Labour MP was suspended for making racist comments about him. Liz was ousted via a misogynistic campaign, whilst the root of the cause, the bank of England got off with it yet again.
Not because the pair of them tanked the economy and caused billions of pounds of losses to pension funds, then?

Nope; racism and misogyny, that's wot dun for 'em, mistah.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Ant

Post by Ant »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:40 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:20 pm Kwasi was 100% given grief just because he's black, even a Labour MP was suspended for making racist comments about him. Liz was ousted via a misogynistic campaign, whilst the root of the cause, the bank of England got off with it yet again.
Not because the pair of them tanked the economy and caused billions of pounds of losses to pension funds, then?

It's impossible for them to tank the economy with a plan which never came into action. Maybe take a look at the BoE and QE..,,if you think that had nothing to do with it, then you really are in cloud cuckoo land.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Ant wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:42 pm

It's impossible for them to tank the economy with a plan which never came into action. Maybe take a look at the BoE and QE..,,if you think that had nothing to do with it, then you really are in cloud cuckoo land.
It's not me who's in cloud cuckoo land mate; it was the announcement of the intended measures that sent the markets into a tailspin. Do you actually understand how markets and the economy work? Let me answer that for you - you clearly don't have a clue.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yeah. You can't call them incompetent and suggest they didn't have a clue about the way markets would react and that they tanked the economy and pension funds because one's black and one's a woman. Funny, I don't remember our resident equalities spokespersons suggesting that Diane Abbot got a raw deal. Oh, I forgot, she wasn't a Tory. :roll:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Ant

Post by Ant »

Like I said, the plan didn't come into force, yet what the BoE have been doing wouldn't have any effect at all?

Yet again, they get away with it, whilst the pitch fork handlers go after the wrong crowd, so no wonder the BoE always does what it likes, as no one holds them to account, ever.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If this was a game of pin the tail on the donkey, you'd still be looking for the pin and the donkey would be long gone.
Ant

Post by Ant »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:59 pm If this was a game of pin the tail on the donkey, you'd still be looking for the pin and the donkey would be long gone.
That rather sounds like you're talking from personal experience, which doesn't come as any surprise since you always blame someone else.
The £895bn QE monster is really to blame for the market meltdown - otherwise, who else is going to pay for it? Elves?
Last edited by Ant on Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ant wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:54 pm Like I said, the plan didn't come into force, yet what the BoE have been doing wouldn't have any effect at all?

the pitch fork handlers go after the wrong crowd
https://news.sky.com/story/kwasi-kwarte ... s-12764787

Kwasi Kwarteng admits he and Truss 'blew it' and got 'carried away' with economic reforms

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... clear-plan

Truss admits mini-budget caused disruption, but says there is ‘clear plan’

https://www.euronews.com/2022/10/18/liz ... -budget-u-

Liz Truss admits budget mistakes and apologises after Jeremy Hunt announces mini-budget U-turn

https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-st ... a-12709993

Truss admits mistakes but sticks by her plan - and blames chancellor for top-rate tax cut idea
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Horse wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:06 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:54 pm Like I said, the plan didn't come into force, yet what the BoE have been doing wouldn't have any effect at all?

the pitch fork handlers go after the wrong crowd
https://news.sky.com/story/kwasi-kwarte ... s-12764787

Kwasi Kwarteng admits he and Truss 'blew it' and got 'carried away' with economic reforms

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... clear-plan

Truss admits mini-budget caused disruption, but says there is ‘clear plan’

https://www.euronews.com/2022/10/18/liz ... -budget-u-

Liz Truss admits budget mistakes and apologises after Jeremy Hunt announces mini-budget U-turn

https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-st ... a-12709993

Truss admits mistakes but sticks by her plan - and blames chancellor for top-rate tax cut idea
Well that's blown the £895bn QE monster out of the water, maybe there really is an Elf going to pay for it......

no wait a minute, we're paying for it.....no no, is HAS to be someone elses fault.
irie

Post by irie »

My guess is that in saying that you are not aware of the role of LDI's in the pension fund/BoE debacle. Google is your friend.

Edit:
Potter wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:23 pm Truss and Kwarteng didn't have the confidence of the markets, so their (somewhat radical) plan fell flat on it's face and the markets reacted accordingly.
They're to blame but not because it was an entirely awful plan, but because they didn't have a power base to launch it from, the bankers didn't like it and spat their dummies out - with the resultant losses.
See above.
Last edited by irie on Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:27 pm My guess is that in saying that you are not aware of the role of LDI's in the pension fund/BoE debacle. Google is your friend.
You would be incorrect in that assumption.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Look at her shoes! Getting it done & defending the statues!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:33 pm
irie wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:27 pm My guess is that in saying that you are not aware of the role of LDI's in the pension fund/BoE debacle. Google is your friend.
Would it be naive to wonder why the Chancellor of the Exchequer was unaware of them? Ah me, it was all the fault of the white, male commies at the BoE. :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Treadeager wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:46 pm I believe I'm asking you if you really believe that where you live now is actually less racist than Brizzle ?
Not at all. I know how 'racist' it is here. And chauvanist. And I've been on the receiving end of both. The difference is that I knew that when I came here. It hasn't changed for worse in the last couple of years (ok, 6-8 years) that I'm aware of - but I do live on top of a mountain and I am also aware of more issues in big cities.

It's not that it's around - it's that when I was in Bristol, it got so very much worse than the previous few years before the Brexit debate. The change was, IMHO, for the worst and I was very uncomfortable with it.

G.P wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:13 pm I don't think Bristol is really any different than it was a decade / twenty years ago. The fuckwit Mayor(s) had a bigger impact no detracting from the quality of life in the city than Brexit / wokeness and the tearing down of Colston's statue.
I can't get used to the Colston hall being called the Bristol Beacon, but I'll cope.
I was at Temple meads station at 10.00 last night. There was a perfectly pleasant multi cultural atmosphere. Even the Welsh Ex Pats who'd been back to Cardiff to see their team loose to the mighty England were in good spirits :)
I didn't know Bristol 20years ago. I moved there about 15 years ago and really only got to know the Stapleton/Frenchay areas. The change that I noticed mostly started with the Brexit debate and got worse up to and after the result. That was when I, as someone who voted remain because of my then lifestyle and plans for the future and the futures of my niece and nephew and my fellow seasonaires, felt uncomfortable living in that area.

I mean, if I felt uncomfortable, how do you think my EU friends who had made lives in the uk and brought up children with uk born partners felt? I know many that felt they should move out of the uk due to the rhetoric - but their lives were in the uk with their children, partners and families.

I think it's great that Bristol seems less as I remember it. But I'm not sure that would ever persuade me to move back to Bristol or anywhere in the uk
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

As for the OP: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

I'd miss the way it's polarised the population so incisively, insightfully and poetically.

Keep it Brexity! Nice and Brexity!
irie

Post by irie »

You must therefore be in denial of the fact that the BoE, in spite of repeated warnings, failed to regulate institutions leveraging LDIs! :lol:

Carry on with your rants.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:57 pm
Would it be naive to wonder why the Chancellor of the Exchequer was unaware of them? Ah me, it was all the fault of the white, male commies at the BoE. :hmmm:
Evidently you too. :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:03 pm You must therefore be in denial of the fact that the BoE, in spite of repeated warnings, failed to regulate institutions leveraging LDIs! :lol:
I've said nothing on the subject of LDIs, QE or the BoE. I was simply pointing out that the Kwarteng/Truss budget was the trigger for the markets to go into a tailspin and billions of pounds to be wiped off the value of pension funds. You are clearly erecting a straw man and then taking a tilt at it, Don Quixote-style. My presence in this little fandango is entirely unnecessary - you're doing just fine on your own.
irie wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:03 pm Carry on with your rants.
I think you're confusing usernames - (r)Ant's the one you should be talking to...