PANIC BUY!

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: PANIC BUY!

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:07 pm
Potter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:20 pm
IIRC the director of the BBC had to resign about ten years ago when they gave out news that was absolute lies, I can't remember what it was about now and can't be arsed to google, but they tried to hush it up as much as possible.
You mean the situation with Dr David Kelly, the Hutton inquiry etc?
Nope, a quick google....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/20297295

Like I said, you won't remember it because despite being caught for telling blatant lies they threw someone under the bus then just carried on.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

What's the difference between petrol and paraffin?

There are two effs in paraffin but no effin petrol! :lol:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yambo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:27 am
There's no fuel in the village, the nearest is İçmeler, over the big hill. I don't have a car and my electric bike will probably get me there on a full charge but won't get me back.
. . .
As long as it gets you half way back you should be ok
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:14 am
"The man at the front... actually said 'You could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker," he said.

I don't trust the BBC anymore, I'm struggling to believe that's not made up.
If it's true then it's scary how stupid some people are.
The BBC make up all sorts of shit, even to the extent of their employees commissioning forged documents in order to dupe people into believing their authenticity with a view to enticing them into holding "sensational" scoop BBC interviews. Then when the truth is known the BBC tries, successfully for many years, to cover it all up. Trust the BBC? How drôle. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Docca

Post by Docca »

DefTrap wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:16 am
Potter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:34 am
They were covering up their top stars touching kids, so you think they wouldn't make a story up to sell a bit of news?
If you watch again old footage of the interviews / appearances of Sir J-S, especially in his latter years - he pretty much tells everyone what he's up to. This one is particularly excruciating
That's ITV by the way, and that's sir David Frost letting him crack on and that's an audience of Joe public cackling at how naughty he is. And it's only 1989.

Theres an awful lot of complicit acceptance going on, is the point, can't just single out the beeb.
Jesus, that was uncomfortable to watch.
Potter

Post by Potter »

irie wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:22 pm
The BBC make up all sorts of shit...
And along with the rest of the media it conditions some people into unconscious bias, racism, etc.
Wrong thread and wrong forum for it though.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

DefTrap wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:16 am
Potter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:34 am
They were covering up their top stars touching kids, so you think they wouldn't make a story up to sell a bit of news?
If you watch again old footage of the interviews / appearances of Sir J-S, especially in his latter years - he pretty much tells everyone what he's up to. This one is particularly excruciating
That's ITV by the way, and that's sir David Frost letting him crack on and that's an audience of Joe public cackling at how naughty he is. And it's only 1989.

Theres an awful lot of complicit acceptance going on, is the point, can't just single out the beeb.
I seem to recall Russel Howard showing a clip on his TV show where a government 'whip' (?) all but confessed to cover up abuse of young boys.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Same Tesco that had both field yesterday had none again now
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

What are people actually doing with all this petrol? Queuing for more? It's not like the roads are suddenly full of cars rushing from A to B and back again.

Anecdotally, we were out yesterday for a bit, Purley area, and it didn't seem much busier than a regular Saturday. Didn't see any petrol stations with any fuel though, passed at least 3.
non quod, sed quomodo
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Rockburner wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:15 am What are people actually doing with all this petrol? Queuing for more? It's not like the roads are suddenly full of cars rushing from A to B and back
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Just done a 45 mile round trip. Local station, 2 largeish Services (A road, not motorway) no fuel of any sort, 1 station being torn apart/rebuilt and 1 scruffy little Texaco next to Farnham railway station with diesel only. Not exactly convincing that things are improving. (The local station has had nothing since Monday).

PS On the Savile thing, there was a programme on him by Louis Theroux and, to be honest, I'm not sure which one of them creeped me out the most. I felt I needed a shower after watching them both.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Probably didn't have enough fuel in the bike for a return trip to work this week, so last throw of the dice tour to fill up. My tour included Pratt's Bottom, Seal, Otford, Sevenoaks, Locksbottom, Pett Wood, to name but a few places.
End result- fuck all fuel to be had in these here parts.

Bike is now empty, as us the family bus.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

It's levelling up in action, innit.

London and the South East have had all the investment, infrastructure and jobs.

They don't get the fuel, that goes to the ones that have further to travel and don't have the good bus/train/tube networks.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:37 pm It's levelling up in action, innit.

They don't get the fuel, that goes to the ones that have further to travel and don't have the good bus/train/tube networks.
That's levelling down.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Fuel where it's needed - Brexited away. Along with Christmas. And school dinners. That is indeed leveling down.

On the other hand we have crowns on pint glasses and some of the buggers have been sent back.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:49 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:37 pm It's levelling up in action, innit.

That's levelling down.
Depends where you live. You see it as levelling down, out in the sticks with no public transport we see it as levelling up. Catch a bus/train, at least you can.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Potter

Post by Potter »

It appears to be limited to a corner of the UK, south and east of Reading, and it could be a lot worse, imagine if they run out of shandy!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I did a 150 mile round trip west from Brighton yesterday with a friend who had an Africa Twin (200 mile range) and a jerry can. Most petrol stations didn't have any, even the two that have been best stocked near me, The Big Sansburys and Asda. Found some in Henfield on the way out. It's hit an miss with most of the big stations and the smaller stations have been closed throughout.
Lockdown refugee
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Not sure what the rest of the country is like, but NW London and Hertfordshire have lost a lot of petrol stations in the last 15 odd years I've noticed. I reckon at least half of the fuel stations on my commute to work are gone and been replaced by flats. I do wonder if that's part of the issue in the SE, lost of people, not enough fuel stations and once they are out you get a big problem.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Drove straight into our local Tesco this morning and pulled up on an empty pump. In and out in as long as it takes to pay at pump and fill your tank. :)