The Brexit thread

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:04 pm 5 year plans? Command economies? Is that you, Uncle Joe? :)
Looks like it eh, apparently I'm such a bad man, but it looks like I'm the only one paying a voluntary UK tax to help the sick and aged, so maybe I'm a communist hiding in a capitalists body :lol:
Pirahna wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:22 pm
You're very pro Brexit...
I'm not sure if that was aimed at me or Irie, you quoted us both, but I'm pretty sure I've said this at least half a dozen times here, I voted against it, I went out of my way to vote against it, Brexit has knackered my personal plans, I'm reluctant to share any more information than I already have but our family money sits in assets in the EU and things have changed for me now, even just the tax and VAT implications for my plans are crippling, it's impossible to do what I wanted to do because of Brexit.

However, looking at it in a long-term economic view, as a country that's been around in it's current state for about a thousand years (despite some thinking it's only their lifetime) then I look at it in a different light, and whilst the EU is going to make it unpleasant in the shorter term, I think that the UK can make it work in the long term.

Strategy isn't about today and it certainly isn't about you today.
I simply don't get people trying to sabotage something that is already in motion, won't be reversed, and has to work or we all suffer.
I've got the arse but I've changed my plans now to something that will work.
Horse

Post by Horse »

[quote=Potter post_id=
Looks like it eh, apparently I'm such a bad man, but it looks like I'm the only one paying a voluntary UK tax
[/quote]

I don't claim back some that I could, so that means I'm voluntarily letting the government have more of my money. Its not a huge amount.

There are probably others here doing similar who either CBA or don't want say so.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:55 am
I don't claim back some that I could, so that means I'm voluntarily letting the government have more of my money. Its not a huge amount.

There are probably others here doing similar who either CBA or don't want say so.
I was challenged on why I have so much to say when I don't pay UK income tax on my day job salary, my response is that I pay voluntary NI and I pay tax on the money I have circulating in the UK economy, which isn't insignificant.
I'm not looking for medals for it, I have enough from service to the crown.

Not claiming all your tax back is mostly because people can't be bothered if the amounts are small, it's the same for me, I let them keep some every year that I could claim back. Going out of your way to contact HMRC and arrange to pay extra tax towards healthcare and pensions, that you don't need to, is more of an effort.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:19 am I simply don't get people trying to sabotage something that is already in motion
Shoulda told that to the Brexiteers!

As I've said before, it's a bit of bollox anyway. You'll never know what would have happened without Brexit, outside of some dodgy sci-fi programme with a shit version of those "What if the Nazis had won WW2" storylines.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:01 am
Shoulda told that to the Brexiteers!
Ha, touché.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:56 am
Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:55 am

I was challenged
And then said that you seemed to be the only one.
Not claiming all your tax back is mostly because people can't be bothered if the amounts are small,
In my case, a conscious decision.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I was asked directly about my tax affairs, I then thought it reasonable to ask the question back and got a blank, I can only work with the information I'm given.
Last edited by Potter on Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:20 am
Based upon what?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:19 am
I simply don't get people trying to sabotage ...
Funny how "moaning on the internet" becomes sabotage :D - it's exactly this sort of language that rallied the Brexit braindead from their slums.
..... I look at it in a different light, and whilst the EU is going to make it unpleasant in the shorter term, I think that the UK can make it work in the long term.
Funny how it's all still the EUs fault, despite having "taken back control". The current "crisis" is a great example of a direct consequence of a Brexit decision that wasn't mitigated by the UK government and has absolutely nothing to do with the EU stopping the UK doing anything.

We all knew that doing Brexit would be challenging and we were told "yes, we know, we don't care, it'll be worth it in the long run". But don't stick your head in the sand and ignore the issues that are staring you in the face as if you actually want to enjoy the painful process of getting there.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:48 am
Funny how "moaning on the internet" becomes sabotage :D - it's exactly this sort of language that rallied the Brexit braindead from their slums.
I don't think a bunch of aging bikers moaning on a forum are changing anything, but the same political battles are being played out on a bigger stage and that's definitely hampering progress.
DefTrap wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:48 am Funny how it's all still the EUs fault, despite having "taken back control". The current "crisis" is a great example of a direct consequence of a Brexit decision that wasn't mitigated by the UK government and has absolutely nothing to do with the EU stopping the UK doing anything.
I don't mind you being right about that, if this current crisis happened because of Brexit and the Brexiters were right all along about foreign workers keeping pay and conditions low and the government are shit (remember the tory machine didn't want Brexit), then fair enough.

Personally I think something different.
Horse

Post by Horse »

apparently I'm such a bad man, but it looks like I'm the only one paying a voluntary UK tax to help the sick and aged, so maybe I'm a communist hiding in a capitalists body :lol:
That's the bit I was replying to, not any personal challenge to you.

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:32 am
Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:20 am
Based upon what?
Number of things. The point being it's not done by CBA neglect.

In comparison to national debt, government spending, wastage, etc., it's a piffling amount. But the last year I've had a pay cut, so it's a chunk of cash.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:30 am

Number of things. The point being it's not done by CBA neglect.

In comparison to national debt, government spending, wastage, etc., it's a piffling amount. But the last year I've had a pay cut, so it's a chunk of cash.
I didn't take it as a personal challenge, I'm simply extending that if my tax affairs are to be discussed then I think it's fair to open other peoples up for discussion.

You seem coy now about the reasons you actively don't recover your overpaid tax, so I don't know why you bought it up.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:28 am I was asked directly about my tax affairs,

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:42 am
Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:30 am
I didn't take it as a personal challenge,
Make your mind up.
You seem coy now about the reasons you actively don't recover your overpaid tax, so I don't know why you bought it up.
Coy? My business, so - as you - I'm not posting it.

To point out you weren't, as you stated, the only one. I may even have said that.

Trolling, or just not keeping aware of what you're posting, or ... ?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:46 am
Coy? My business, so - as you - I'm not posting it.

To point out you weren't, as you stated, the only one. I may even have said that.

Trolling, or just not keeping aware of what you're posting, or ... ?
Edited, ok then.
You haven't claimed your secret tax back for reasons that are apparently secret, I'm the only one paying more NI than I need to and I've clearly said why.

Shall we move on then?
Last edited by Potter on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

'Secret'? Throw in stuff like that, and the 'fuck me' to make it my fault.

Ace.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:11 pm 'Secret'? Throw in stuff like that, and the 'fuck me' to make it my fault.

Ace.
You're right, I signed back in to remove the sweary bit but you beat me to it.
I apologise, it was uncalled for.

My point was why even offer that you've volunteered to pay more tax than you should if you're not prepared to say why, which was basically the whole crux of my point, i.e. why I was doing it.

I can only assume it was for nothing more than to be contrary to what I'd posted, but with no substance.

And all this in a thread about UK Brexit where the last few pages appear to be a competition to bring in totally unrelated subjects like my tax affairs and Bangladeshi house boys.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:16 pm I can only assume it was for nothing more than to be contrary to what I'd posted, but with no substance.
It's the internet, nothing here is substantiated.

Assume what you like :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:26 pm
It's the internet, nothing here is substantiated.

Assume what you like :)
Seriously mate, then why post it?
This is a discussion, but you posted for a singular reason to try and be contrary, then when I enquire for further discussion you accuse me of trolling.

"Oh I was just..." - no you weren't.

Let's get back to Brexit eh.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:41 pm Seriously mate, then why post it?
I didn't say it was a lie, I said that it was unsubstantiated.

So, for clarity: I pay hundreds of pounds more uk tax than I need to.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire