In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My point was, is that 6,500 figure people who've died at work or migrants who've died in Qatar? it's not the same metric is it?

I'm not saying it's one thing or the other BTW, just that the shocking figure might need qualification. AFAIK there's been like 50 people actually killed 'directly' in the Stadiums? Which is still a lot I agree, but it's not six thousand.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm sure Iccy might have a differing opinion, but my FiL worked in Oman for the petrol chemical industry, most of the migrant workers were Indians and they were considered by the local ruling classes to be disposable.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:52 am I thought it was about human rights and the 6,500 people who died building the stadiums?
That number died in the country during the building.
I think about 30 died involved in the building.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

I think it was to do with the working conditions than the number of deaths. Many went months without being paid, were lied to about the type of work they would be doing, the salaries were lower than promised but the workers couldn't change jobs or leave the country because their passports were confiscated and they needed the agreement of their employers to do either.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I have nothing at all to do with Qatar but most of the stuff on this page is simply rubbish.
I'm not going to argue their case because I have nothing to do with it, but you really should stop believing the shit that gets banded around like schoolboy gossip.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

"Disposable workforces" isn't a new thing. Historically there's loads of construction projects (off the top of my head: transcontinental railway and panama canal, amongst others) where the workforce has been paid badly and treated badly leading to excess deaths. And I'm sure loads a damn site more recent and a damn site closer to home.

It would be nice to know the unbiased truth about Qatar without it all being slagged as fake news.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:47 pm "Disposable workforces" isn't a new thing. Historically there's loads of construction projects (off the top of my head: transcontinental railway and panama canal, amongst others) where the workforce has been paid badly and treated badly leading to excess deaths. And I'm sure loads a damn site more recent and a damn site closer to home.

It would be nice to know the unbiased truth about Qatar without it all being slagged as fake news.
We should ask Iccy to pop over and scout out the situation...;)

Because 'disposable workforces' have a history makes it even worse though right! it is rubbing shit (or in this case death) in the faces of people just trying to make ends meet whilst others in their suits sit back forget about it and swim in their egos!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

To the moon!

I dunno. Tensions with Russia, exploding oil prices, looming recession, rockets flying off to the moon. We even had a US president meeting the Chinese premier for the first time in ages.

Plus ça change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/science ... t-62778868
Ant

Post by Ant »

Greenman wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:38 pm
DefTrap wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:47 pm "Disposable workforces" isn't a new thing. Historically there's loads of construction projects (off the top of my head: transcontinental railway and panama canal, amongst others) where the workforce has been paid badly and treated badly leading to excess deaths. And I'm sure loads a damn site more recent and a damn site closer to home.

Because 'disposable workforces' have a history makes it even worse though right! it is rubbing shit (or in this case death) in the faces of people just trying to make ends meet whilst others in their suits sit back forget about it and swim in their egos!
Are you one of these people who get all upset at the sight of a man in a well tailored suit?
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Ant wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:58 am

Are you one of these people who get all upset at the sight of a man in a well tailored suit?
Depends if they are dickheads or not?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Greenman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:19 pm

So seeking out people to name call 'dickheads' is how you prefer to have a conversation? How very left wing of you.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Are suits or dickheads in the news today?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:43 am To the moon!

I dunno. Tensions with Russia, exploding oil prices, looming recession, rockets flying off to the moon. We even had a US president meeting the Chinese premier for the first time in ages.

Plus ça change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/science ... t-62778868
Maybe they are really going to the moon this time. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Ant wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:42 pm

So seeking out people to name call 'dickheads' is how you prefer to have a conversation? How very left wing of you.
Stop being so silly
Ant

Post by Ant »

Greenman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Stop being so silly
Just to be clear, you're saying that it's silly to suggest that it would be better to use judgement based on policies, decisions etc, rather than to call people 'dickheads'?
irie

Post by irie »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:44 am 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since they were named as hosts >10 years ago, not 6,500 died building the stadiums. How many of those people would've died even if they'd stayed at home? I bet more than 6,500 migrants have died in the UK in the last 10 years,
You have missed the point.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Ant wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:11 pm
Greenman wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:49 pm

Stop being so silly
Just to be clear, you're saying that it's silly to suggest that it would be better to use judgement based on policies, decisions etc, rather than to call people 'dickheads'?
Stop being so silly, again!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

GOP wasted no time in announcing the oversight committee will be going after the Bidens... & now they have evidence tying Hunter to human trafficking.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:15 pm GOP wasted no time in announcing the oversight committee will be going after the Bidens... & now they have evidence tying Hunter to human trafficking.
Is Hunter Biden an elected official, or running for an office? If not, then what have his actions got to do with anything? If there’s evidence that he’s committed a crime then pass it to the police and let them get on with it.

Or is this just another US political witch-hunt?