In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
JamJar

Re: In todays news...

Post by JamJar »

Yambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:29 am Linehan may well be a plank, I'd never heard of him before but I didn't post the video to bring attention to him or GB News.

I posted the video because I thought the story was fuckin' hilarious.
Is it hilarious? The Geebeebies whiner seems to be upset that they were called Brian?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

JamJar wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:39 am
Yambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:29 am Linehan may well be a plank, I'd never heard of him before but I didn't post the video to bring attention to him or GB News.

Is it hilarious? The Geebeebies whiner seems to be upset that they were called Brian?

No, it's far from hilarious although when you choose the ugliest competitor to win a beauty pageant it's pretty damn funny.

But the underlying principle that men should be allowed to compete against women in sport or what would normally be a women only competition is anything but hilarious. It's saying that women don't matter, that they shouldn't be allowed to compete only against other women. It's mysogyny pure and simple.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Apologise for the Fail link, but...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lying.html

FUCK!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

As you say - FUCK! :( :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:17 am

No, it's far from hilarious although when you choose the ugliest competitor to win a beauty pageant it's pretty damn funny.

But the underlying principle that men should be allowed to compete against women in sport or what would normally be a women only competition is anything but hilarious. It's saying that women don't matter, that they shouldn't be allowed to compete only against other women. It's mysogyny pure and simple.
A message repeated and amplified by many in the vociferous self interested tiny trans minority. Also by a small but highly active sector of the male gay community which wants pretending to be women to mean that they must therefore be treated as women. Which they're not of course.

Both groups are too blind to see that their campaigns are mysogyny, pure and simple.

The biology is simple. Sex is determined during conception: XX chromosomes means you are female, XY chromosomes means you are male. *

Those who dispute the science are playing with words.

Edit: * there are exceptions but these very rare.
Last edited by irie on Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Ant

Post by Ant »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:00 pm Apologise for the Fail link, but...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lying.html

FUCK!
This happens all the time in america. I follow a group for American PPL guys, they're always getting into trouble. They should leave flying to the British.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

This is the sort of mad lad we need, none of this tik tok nonsense.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63600184
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:20 am

A message repeated and amplified by many in the vociferous self interested tiny trans minority. Also by a small but highly active sector of the male gay community which wants pretending to be women to mean that they must therefore be treated as women. Which they're not of course.

Both groups are too blind to see that their campaigns are mysogyny, pure and simple.

The biology is simple. Sex is determined during conception: XX chromosomes means you are female, XY chromosomes means you are male. *

The “exceptions,” if you mean people with disorders of sex development, are all either male or female.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

DefTrap wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:53 am Linehan is a plank, why would you become an anti trans campaigner? It feels wrong now and will definitely age badly.
Why would you give a beauty queen prize and scholarship to a fat ugly man?

Was it the swimsuit round that clinched it?

irie

Post by irie »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:37 am
irie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:20 am

The “exceptions,” if you mean people with disorders of sex development, are all either male or female.
I meant that there are rare exceptions to having either XX or XY chromosomes.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Loads of folk are hating football more than normal coz World Cup is there next week

F1 goes to Qatar every year but nobody gets upset about that. Funny eh?

And curious that they didn't go this year :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:14 pm F1 goes to Qatar every year
So does MotoGP.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:03 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:14 pm F1 goes to Qatar every year
So does MotoGP.
Yeah. I knew that :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:14 pm Loads of folk are hating football more than normal coz World Cup is there next week

F1 goes to Qatar every year but nobody gets upset about that. Funny eh?

And curious that they didn't go this year :obscene-birdiedoublered:
I don't think it's about football, it's just an excuse for activists to get a platform and racists to declare reasons why brown people of a different religion than them shouldn't be liked very much.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:28 am I don't think it's about football, it's just an excuse for activists to get a platform and racists to declare reasons why brown people of a different religion than them shouldn't be liked very much.
I think we should be respectful of other cultures. Not religion as such - no religion should be respected, but I will act as a very respectful guest if I’m in another country and that would include acting in as a way as not to offend.

That said it would be nice if religions (western religions included) would move away from the Middle Ages.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I thought it was about human rights and the 6,500 people who died building the stadiums?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since they were named as hosts >10 years ago, not 6,500 died building the stadiums. How many of those people would've died even if they'd stayed at home? I bet more than 6,500 migrants have died in the UK in the last 10 years,

Let me clear, I don't think it should be hosted in Qatar (not the F1 or MotoGP) but I don't think they've been using the skeletons of migrant workers as concrete aggregate either.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:44 am 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since they were named as hosts >10 years ago, not 6,500 died building the stadiums. How many of those people would've died even if they'd stayed at home? I bet more than 6,500 migrants have died in the UK in the last 10 years,
You'd like to think that if it were [insert western 'civilised nation' of your choice] who had such a poor record that it would be proper scandalous and questions would be asked. I can't see a UK government having this on their debit sheet and getting away with it, brushing it under the carpet. 6500 migrant workers died, for whatever reason, during the building of the 2012 Olympics facilities? That would be properly shocking.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It sounds so shocking that it makes me wonder what stat they're actually quoting here....6,500 people came over specifically to build a stadium and died in the process, or 6500 people moved to a new country and later died? Out of how many total etc? Were those 6,500 people actually the grannies of the people who moved over to work etc. etc.

Then devil's advocate like, how many would've died if they'd stayed working in their home countries? I don't imagine Bangladesh has a stellar worker health record for example. Maybe moving to Qatar actually improved their odds!

It's more than 1 a day though! In fact it's nearly 1 before lunchtime.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:44 am 6,500 migrant workers have died in Qatar since they were named as hosts >10 years ago

I bet more than 6,500 migrants have died in the UK in the last 10 years,
UK fatal injury to workers
2017 135
2018 141
2019 147
2020 111
2021 145

Some estimates that 1/4 of road deaths are at work
2017 1793
2018 1782
2019 1752
2020 1462

So 400-500 every year.

Migrants in uk workforce
2004 est 9.1%
2021 est 18%

You must work in a really scary place if you think that many die :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: