In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Cousin Jack

Re: In todays news...

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:40 pm How does that viewpoint relate to your sig about remembering An Gof?
I reserve the right to be inconsistent and illogical. :)

(and anyway, Cornwall doesn't need a wall, we only need to put a gate on about a dozen bridges :D )
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Noggin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:43 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:21 pm
Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:01 pm

Its also causing grief within families again. My dad and his sister who were always close for decades were barely on speaking terms in the run up to the last vote as my aunt is fiercely pro independence (car logo'ed up and all that jazz) and my dad thinks independence is a terrible idea. Once the vote was done things improved and normality resumed but with Sturgeon cracking about having yet another "once in a lifetime" :roll: vote a few years on hostilities have resumed.

You would think looking at the fallout and problems Brexit has bestowed on us would give them a clue if its a good idea or not but hey ho
What’s the point in fighting about it? They can just vote whatever way they want, or not vote.
You don't know friends/family that fell out over the Brexit vote??

I agree, there's little point fighting about it. But many many people do
I do, and most of them don't need someone else to fall out with, a mirror in an empty room would suffice.
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:47 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:40 pm How does that viewpoint relate to your sig about remembering An Gof?
I reserve the right to be inconsistent and illogical. :)

(and anyway, Cornwall doesn't need a wall, we only need to put a gate on about a dozen bridges :D )
That's good enough for me. All we need to do out here is sink the ferries, and then live on a diet of potatoes and limpets.

FREEDOM!!!!!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Its a right good boot on the bollocks for Nic with the cock

Last edited by Felix on Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

An indepentant Cornwall will live off the land. On a diet of pasties, brocolli and fish.

And on the ransom from emmets. Come to sunny Cornwall, on holiday (and then pay a small fortune to be allowed out again).
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:54 pm That's good enough for me. All we need to do out here is sink the ferries, and then live on a diet of potatoes and limpets.
From what I've read in recent months in Sea Breezes magazine (my wife has some strange subscriptions :wtf: ) you don't need to sink 'em, just find the few that are still afloat and put them in for repair then cancel the build on any new ones that might have made it as far as the order book. It sounds a right mess!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

What happens when Devon demands a royalty on every pasty sold, they did invent it after all?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Felix wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:55 pm Its a right good boot on the bollocks for Nic with the cock

I'm torn. I 'm not sure whether I do or I don't want an explanation for that photo. Somebody tell me it's a Photoshop, please?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:50 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:54 pm That's good enough for me. All we need to do out here is sink the ferries, and then live on a diet of potatoes and limpets.
From what I've read in recent months in Sea Breezes magazine (my wife has some strange subscriptions :wtf: ) you don't need to sink 'em, just find the few that are still afloat and put them in for repair then cancel the build on any new ones that might have made it as far as the order book. It sounds a right mess!
It's a proper clusterbourach. Classic governmental fuck up, and all the fault of the previous lot. Sturgeon took full responsibility and then promptly blamed a disgraced former minister. There's cronyism, bad budgeting, vote blaggery, design by committee, frequent changes of design, the whole works.

As an aside I've a mate who's SNP to the core, and also won't hear a word against Glasgow shipbuilders. It's hilarious when trying to discuss this with him. Apparently the whole shitstorm is Thatcher's fault as if she hadn't closed the yards there'd be more to chose from. :?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:01 pm
It's a proper clusterbourach. Classic governmental fuck up, and all the fault of the previous lot. Sturgeon took full responsibility and then promptly blamed a disgraced former minister. There's cronyism, bad budgeting, vote blaggery, design by committee, frequent changes of design, the whole works.

As an aside I've a mate who's SNP to the core, and also won't hear a word against Glasgow shipbuilders. It's hilarious when trying to discuss this with him. Apparently the whole shitstorm is Thatcher's fault as if she hadn't closed the yards there'd be more to chose from. :?
I was just reading about a Shetland ferry built in Troon (the St Clair). Served for 20 years, then sold and carried on working in far distant seas. So, once upon a time you could design, then build a quite sophisticated, overnight cargo packet for use in exposed waters....in Troon. (Got replaced by ro-ro's as needs changed).

Not sure what needs designing, never mind by committee, there's loads of existing designs they could have used.
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:53 pm What happens when Devon demands a royalty on every pasty sold, they did invent it after all?
They might claim they invented it, but they are unlikely to convince the Cornish. Nor get any royalty, if necessary we will invade Devon and reclaim ALL the Stannaries. They are all heathens who cannot be trusted to serve a split without getting the jam and cream reversed
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

What’s the point in fighting about it? They can just vote whatever way they want, or not vote.
Unfortunately my aunt is extremely vocal about it so ANY conversation ends up being steered towards the subject which my dad finds exhausting and annoying so yet again they are very distant and have little or no contact rather than fighting. Prior to the referendum saga they would have dinner all together pretty much every weekend. Its a shame :thumbdown:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:17 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:01 pm

I was just reading about a Shetland ferry built in Troon (the St Clair). Served for 20 years, then sold and carried on working in far distant seas. So, once upon a time you could design, then build a quite sophisticated, overnight cargo packet for use in exposed waters....in Troon. (Got replaced by ro-ro's as needs changed).

Not sure what needs designing, never mind by committee, there's loads of existing designs they could have used.
AIUI the Glen Sannox and hull 802 started off as identical sister ships. Metal was cut for both so construction could begin apace, then one got a slight redesign for some reason so the cut metal was the wrong shape.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:01 pm

Its also causing grief within families again. My dad and his sister who were always close for decades were barely on speaking terms in the run up to the last vote as my aunt is fiercely pro independence (car logo'ed up and all that jazz) and my dad thinks independence is a terrible idea. Once the vote was done things improved and normality resumed but with Sturgeon cracking about having yet another "once in a lifetime" :roll: vote a few years on hostilities have resumed.

You would think looking at the fallout and problems Brexit has bestowed on us would give them a clue if its a good idea or not but hey ho

Nope.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Being serious about devolution, let them have a vote. They can pay for it from the money they already receive, and if they do get a majority and wish to leave then they should be allowed to do so. They will then have to sort out a currency, and lots of stuff like that. They could use the £ (some small countries use the US$) but they get no say in how it is managed. If required we can move Defence stuff like Faslane back to England, but that will do their economy no good at all.
If they want to rejoin the EU I suppose they might be allowed to, but then THEY would have to put in a 'hard' border to stop the nasty English goods getting into the pure EU shops without restrictions.
Quite honestly it would be a nightmare, almost as unrealistic as Cornwall becoming truly independent!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:12 pm

Nope.
Lucky you. I've had friends stop talking to me and some of my family are barely speaking to each other due to having differing views. Weird to me, but hey - some people are like that
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Yep, there are some real fascists out there who can't comprehend that we all have different views, hence the right to vote. Democracy works for them if, they get their own way and when they could have their democratic vote. As soon as that vote was found to be the minority, they then have a problem with the democratic process in which they were perfectly happy to vote in. The remain camp really let themselves down with the hate and fascism they displayed towards those who didn't do exactly as they wanted other people to do, ditching friends and family who didn't succumb to the coercive control of those who can't stand a free democracy.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'm doing well today. :thumbup:

On one thread my generation are all rapists and now I'm a fascist. Just need racist for the hat trick. :wtf:

Is it International Completely Overstate Your Case Day?
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I wonder how the Brexit lot turned their minority into a majority? Was it through shouty, fascist, coercive, hatred I wonder? :p
It really puts your head in a spin this democracy malarkey.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:08 am I'm doing well today. :thumbup:

On one thread my generation are all rapists and now I'm a fascist. Just need racist for the hat trick. :wtf:

Is it International Completely Overstate Your Case Day?

Calm down fella, you're being hysterical.
irie

Post by irie »

DT wrote:Elon Musk tweeted that "the bird is freed" after completing his acquisition of the platform.

Shortly afterwards, European commissioner Thierry Breton issued a curt reminder of the EU's content-moderation laws, saying: "In Europe, the bird will fly by our rules."
So Musk closed down the Brussels Twitter office. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno