What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Got a sort of interview for a job this morning (waiting for the call to tell me he's on his way to resort)

Downside - I had the worst nights sleep EVER. For no apparent reason. If I'd been sick I'd have thought it was food poisoning but I didn't eat anything weird/off yesterday (and don't normally get ill from food, even though I still can't smell much!). Out of bed every 40 mins or so until 5am 'just in case'

FFS :roll:

Hopefully by the time I get the call I'll feel half decent. Can't even have full caff coffee or tea as still have a massive headache :(

At least he doesn't make the final decision!! This is more of a talk through to confirm that I know what it's all about!! LOL Cross fingers
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Skub wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:17 pm I had a narrow escape today.

While clearing out my brother in law's house,my other BIL and myself were gutting the kitchen. He assured me the power to the oven was off before I cut the wire.

It wasn't.

The resulting bang blew a chunk out of my knife and scared the shit out of him at least! Fortunately I was wearing rubber work gloves,or things may have been very different.

I wanted to take a pic of the damaged blade,but I've lost it today. More annoyed about that than my near miss. :roll:
Years ago I was in a cellar doing a job and I asked my mate if I could borrow his voltage testers, he told me they were in his toolbox - short version of the story is I tested, it was dead, then I blew myself off my steps and destroyed my cutters, it didn't half make a bang, destroyed my cutters and burned my hand.

When he'd finished laughing and I'd finished shaking he simply said "I thought they might be knackered, but it's your own fault, you should have tested them on a known source".
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Plus side: Got out on the Ducati for a few hours just to play which was nice :thumbup:

Down Side: Got home and spent the next few hours painting all the wooden fencing at the front of the house in its annual coat of black paint :thumbdown:

I should get away from the laptop and spend the time more usefully finishing the painting :(
Skub

Post by Skub »

Spent nearly three hours cleaning a bathroom in the house we are clearing to be sold. I doubt it had been cleaned in years. :sick:

All the rest of the family took one look and wouldn't even go in. Perhaps it takes a wise man/woman to play the fool,but I seemed to be the only one willing to do the job. :roll:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Realised that I'll be working for British Rail again, and that we'll probably have that nice Mr Saville chap helping with the advertising.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tried to buy four bolts.
Camaro is getting spiffy upgraded brakes. There are four Titty Bolts* on each side for a total of eight. Two hold the caliper to the bracket & two hold the caliper bracket to the wheel hub.
I have the four that hold the calipers to the brackets.
I've tried 3 different auto parts stores in town for the other bolts & each store has ONE bolt in stock. I need four of them... So apparently three different people in charge of keeping parts in stock require a foot in the ass.
There's a very religious person working at one store who was so offended that I used the term "titty bolts" that he asked another salesman to help me. I think he's in the wrong business.

* TTY: Torque To Yield bolts, crank em down to the required torque, then turn another 90deg. One time use. What a fucking PITA.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Work, work, work.
Got in around 6pm, wife is away, kids were out, ate half a roast chicken with a pile of red peppers and tomatoes, watched a movie on my tod and then went to bed at 9pm.
Up at 4am, coffee, swim and now back to work.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:25 pm
There's a very religious person working at one store who was so offended that I used the term "titty bolts" that he asked another salesman to help me. I think he's in the wrong business.
Wait til you ask him for a tool to bleed your nipples :mrgreen:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Went to Waitrose to buy a sandwich as I was too lazy to bring anything in today. Lady was reducing whole garlic chickens to a quid.

How much chicken is too much chicken? About 3/4's of one, according to my indigestion level now. :sick:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:31 pm Went to Waitrose to buy a sandwich as I was too lazy to bring anything in today. Lady was reducing whole garlic chickens to a quid.

How much chicken is too much chicken? About 3/4's of one, according to my indigestion level now. :sick:
After seeing you eat, you should be able to scoff a couple.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:55 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:31 pm Went to Waitrose to buy a sandwich as I was too lazy to bring anything in today. Lady was reducing whole garlic chickens to a quid.

After seeing you eat, you should be able to scoff a couple.
I'm too bloated to even think of a witty response....
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I'd be more worried about how much garlic is too much.
David

Post by David »

Careful....garlic chicken can turn your toenails green if consumed to excess.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mussels wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:58 pm
I'd be more worried about how much garlic is too much.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Sold the BYV.
It's a real end of an era moment for me as I bought it getting on for 16 years ago- it's been the length and breadth of the UK, and over to France, Belgium and Luxembourg too taking me and my bikes and my mates and their bikes all over the place and picking up many new ones (and one or two old shonkers too :) ) over that time - we've been through a lot together! :cry:

But it's gone to a real decent (ex-forces) bloke and is destined for a new life as a camper van complete with internal shitter so it lives on

And the best news is, I sold it for just £2k less than I paid for it, all those years ago- now that is good value

Goodbye old girl, you will be missed
( well for a few days or so until you're replaced with a much newer, faster, quieter, better looking and more comfortable one :lol: )

Last edited by Tricky on Fri May 21, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

inewham wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:32 pm What are 'titty bolts'

Google just gave me film clips from Yorick's basement :oops:
TTY bolts, Torque To Yield, hence *titty*
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had my 2nd jab today. :banana-dance:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tricky wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:55 pm Sold the BYV.
It's a real end of an era moment for me as I bought it getting on for 16 years ago- it's been the length and breadth of the UK, and over to France, Belgium and Luxembourg too taking me and my bikes and my mates and their bikes all over the place and picking up many new ones (and one or two old shonkers too :) ) over that time - we've been through a lot together! :cry:
Is there a shortage of surpy watter where you live? (you just read that in a Geordie accent....)
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Drove to Portsmouth Hall of Residence and back for my son to collect the last of his items from the rooms there. He is looking for new digs as the halls were a nightmare for him (autistic spectrum) with all the noise and shenanigans going on.

Back in time to see how our offer on a house in Manchester area is going... have to wait a bit for info. Niece is viewing another place for us today that is cheaper, but not quite as nice.... fully refurbished though.

Had coffee, going to have lunch and then I'll have a siesta snooze.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Changed the cam chain tension on the car.

The thing was sounding like a 70's Transit for the first mile in the morning. A common issue with the Price engine they say.

It could mean the cam chain has stretched, the plastic guides worn and the whole thing, including the cam gears needs replacing... $$$

There was a mid-life part update to the cam tension, a new one is £50, so I thought I'd try that first.

Spot the difference.

The new one is 3mm longer and 'stiffer'.

I think it sounds better already, but that might be all in my head. The first cold start will tell!

If it has 'fixed' it, I just hope the flapping chain didn't prematurely wear the guides.