Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by MrLongbeard »

He might struggle servicing the newest trend in charging

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-tech/ ... um-create/
gremlin

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by gremlin »

Docca wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:07 pm If you’re thinking of getting an EV- chose one that suits your needs and then there is no looking back
Well, I think the lack of a rear-view mirror would seriously put me off buying one. ;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mercedes' record breaking EQXX doesn't have a rear window or mirror.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/elec ... xx-concept

They did >700 miles on a single charge in that thing ^, the battery is a 'normal sized' one too not some comedy large thing for the sake of record breaking.

The really impressive thing about that Merc is that a 'normal driver' can also get the mega milage figures, you don't need to drive it specially.

Stuttgart to Goodwood, a distance of 747 miles, without the need for recharging. However, this was achieved by a team of highly trained test drivers with real-time access to all the information thrown up by a boot full of data loggers and in constant radio contact with engineers back at Mercedes’ base in Germany.

Nevertheless, so confident is Mercedes in the Vision EQXX’s ability to hit lofty efficiency targets with any driver at the wheel that it has just thrown me the key and told me to go for a drive to find out for myself just what is possible....

...When we reach the end of our test drive, we receive a readout from the data logger...It is the economy figure we’re after, though. To our surprise, it actually betters Mercedes’ claim, at 8.0 miles per kWh, despite the operation of the air-con and the inclusion of a passenger throughout.

London to John o’ Groats on a single battery charge? No problem at all. In fact, by our reckoning, you’d achieve it with range to spare.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:16 pm Mercedes' record breaking EQXX doesn't have a rear window or mirror.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/elec ... xx-concept

That's 2 years old. Harry Metcalf did a video on it a or two ago.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

One of Tesla's EV big rig trucks caught fire, road is still closed, truck is still burning & they're using helicopter water drops to stop the fire spreading to the forest..

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Correction, road opened after 16 hours...

636mick

Post by 636mick »

I’ve not read the whole thread.
So I’ve got a Yesla Y on trial at work. It’s tinny, plasticky and cheap and today has broken the hinges on the rear tailgate. Quality is not a word to describe this piece of crap. It’s a 22 plate, less than 35k miles and this isn’t the first problem.
Used a Tesla supercharger, to get another 100 miles cost £15.40.
Not impressed so far.
Mick
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Ford just shit canned their EV SUV plans....

https://climatechangedispatch.com/after ... iveOldPost
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

And another airport parking car fire, allegedly started by an EV...

https://www.portugalresident.com/pj-pol ... ctric-car/
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

As a market indicator, revcomps have started raffling EVs again. The last tesla and taycan sold out, whereas in recent times they've been massively undersold. By way of contrast, I was talking to my motor trader neighbour yesterday and asked him if he had started selling EVs yet? He said no, they are to the second hand market what Ladas were in the early 80s! :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

This thread always reminds me of this bloke (whose intention is generally misunderstood). :lol:

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

In fairness to EVs, it's asking a lot to go head to head with a deeply entrenched industry that has been going for well over 100 years and expect to win hearts and minds over quickly with a new and relatively unproven technology (unproven as in propelling motor vehicles, not unproven per se). We're still really in Early Adopter territory with EVs, and I'd expect the battery technology to advance pretty quickly. EVs (and the charging infrastructure) will probably be ready for prime time in about 15 to 20 years...

And another barrier to EVs is the malign presence of Elon Musk. As long as he is the poster man-child for EVs they're facing an uphill struggle.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'd be :thumbup: with one of these as the shopping trolley car. 55mph, 125m per charge, 4 hours charging on a mains socket - and more attention than a Lambo. :D

The Microlino.

Slight snag. £18k. Which compared with the Citroen Ami at £8-10k is just a tad ridiculous.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I managed to get a drive in the demo EV we just had in work. A Hyundai Ionic 5 N. Holy crap, now that is a machine, probably one of, if not the fastest thing I've ever driven on 4 wheels, staggering quick and handled very well too. Only issue, £65k!!

But if that's the sort of EV that manufacturers are going to produce then it's not all bad. Astonishing thing.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Nordboy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:48 pm I managed to get a drive in the demo EV we just had in work. A Hyundai Ionic 5 N. Holy crap, now that is a machine, probably one of, if not the fastest thing I've ever driven on 4 wheels, staggering quick and handled very well too. Only issue, £65k!!

But if that's the sort of EV that manufacturers are going to produce then it's not all bad. Astonishing thing.

Where I live is totally not conducive to EV ownership, but if I was ever somewhere that it was possible (for charging more than anything!) then power is the reason I'd want one. I've never had the chance to drive them, but everything I've read of and been told about the power of them, and the handling, makes me really really want one!! :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/3 ... g-be-built

Makes a change from the usual boxy SUV.

Wonder how much the final car will look like the concept?
636mick

Post by 636mick »

So, our loaner Tesla is still parked up in my yard due to a bent tailgate hinge. Seems it’s a common problem with them. Tesla service has been rubbish when I compare it to Volvo and BMW. Twice waited for it to be collected, twice not happened as it wasn’t arranged, not impressed. The Tesla Ranger who came out originally, had a Tesla S on a 2015, he was saying his range should be 315 but due to supercharging every day he only gets 220.
We’ve also got a Maxus pickup thing, that can’t manage a full 8 hour shift without needing charging.
My trip to work is 4 miles each way, I looked into a 330 BMW hybrid but was warned off as batteries only last 5 years, don’t know how true that is but it put me off.
Mick
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:53 pm

'And this, gentlemen, is why socks and sandals should never be worn together on the beach'
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:53 pm This thread always reminds me of this bloke (whose intention is generally misunderstood). :lol:

Sony probably said the same thing about Betamax.