If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yambo

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Yambo »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:06 pm Keeping toms in the fridge is a bad idea; ruins the flavour and they don't ripen properly. Keep 'em in the fruit bowl.
And that Sir, is the bottom line.

A nation that has no idea how to treat tomatoes is, to be honest, a bunch of tossers.
Ant

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Ant »

I popped into a supermarket again yesterday to get some lunch bits in, plenty of fruit and veg again. Bought another 6 tomatos which I don't need. But anyway, as a brexit special, today I'm going to make bacon, lettuce and tomato baguettes :thumbup:
Ant

Post by Ant »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:47 pm It was my intention, when I retired, to live as much of a full year in our place in the south of France as I could - see the village and the surrounding countryside as it changed during the course of a year. Thanks to Brexit, that's one thing I now won't be able to do, at least not without having to apply for an extended visa. I can now only spend a maximum of 90 days in a rolling six month period.

And what do I get in return? Sovereignty. What the actual fuck is that when it's at home?
Well decide where you want to live and stop blaming other people for your bad decisions. There are people who can't even afford one house to live in, let alone a holiday pad. Count your blessings.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Ant wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:46 am
mangocrazy wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:47 pm It was my intention, when I retired, to live as much of a full year in our place in the south of France as I could - see the village and the surrounding countryside as it changed during the course of a year. Thanks to Brexit, that's one thing I now won't be able to do, at least not without having to apply for an extended visa. I can now only spend a maximum of 90 days in a rolling six month period.

And what do I get in return? Sovereignty. What the actual fuck is that when it's at home?
Well decide where you want to live and stop blaming other people for your bad decisions. There are people who can't even afford one house to live in, let alone a holiday pad. Count your blessings.
Just for a change, Ant does have a point there ....
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

irie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:10 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:43 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm

No, it isn't if you have a secure job/income and a home you silly boy. *slap*
In relation to Iccys comments it is though, the general attitude of people is shit, if you don't see and feel this in your general life then you are obviously quite privileged and live away from the real grind that is the UK society of today!

If you just want to work, fuck and bring up gremlins in a perpetual cycle of boringness then maybe i agree, but some people want more than that and for those who want more it's a very frustrating place to live!
Well then, live somewhere else that you like better. Simples.
If only there were dozens of interesting, viable and suitable countries nearby we had freedom of movement with. Oh..... Brexited away! :D

Not that I personally want to leave the UK. I love it here; life is good.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:53 am

Not really. Mango decided - with the options available at the time - where he wanted to live. However, he is unable to do so, for no reasons of his own making.

And as to how he earned then spent his money, that's his business.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Sounds like the politics of envy at work here. As Horse points out, I made decisions based on the state of play at that time (2003, as it happened). I'm still happy with my decision, but the landscape has changed quite dramaticaly since 2003, and not for the better. You're clearly unhappy with other people having choices and freedom of movement. Quelle surprise...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:25 am
Horse wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:19 am
Not really. Mango decided - with the options available at the time - where he wanted to live. However, he is unable to do so, for no reasons of his own making.

It's a good job that you've been appointed as his spokesman, he'd be lost without you.
Says the chap who loves to regale us with his globe-trotting activities...
Ant

Post by Ant »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:27 am

Sounds like the politics of envy at work here. As Horse points out, I made decisions based on the state of play at that time (2003, as it happened). I'm still happy with my decision, but the landscape has changed quite dramaticaly since 2003, and not for the better. You're clearly unhappy with other people having choices and freedom of movement. Quelle surprise...
Envy? No, I have two houses in the UK, as it is, but I just recognise that I should count my blessings when there are less well off people about. I'm very happy for people to move and have a choice, I had a choice I made it, you have a choice too but it sounds as though greed is clouding your blessings.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:25 am

It's a good job that you've been appointed as his spokesman, he'd be lost without you.
Glad to help. If it's obvious to someone of my limited brain, then it's strange that the clever people got confused :)
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Ant wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:38 am

Envy? No, I have two houses in the UK, as it is, but I just recognise that I should count my blessings when there are less well off people about. I'm very happy for people to move and have a choice, I had a choice I made it, you have a choice too but it sounds as though greed is clouding your blessings.
Interesting; I'm greedy for wanting to enjoy the fruits of my labours (a second home) whereas you are not? I'm sure if access to your second home was restricted that we would hear all about it, and at great length.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:53 am

As you say, his money, and he can spend it on what he wants. But it was still a moan about have two houses and the difficult choices that creates. I was under the impression that prior to Brexit folks in Spain could apply for long term residency ? Was that the case ?
I realise a lot of the Costa Blanca posse kind of didn't bother - and yes the 90 days thing is an issue - so why not apply for long term residency?

Brexit has happened, we just need to get on with it. Once the bitchy "getting even" about Brexit dies down, I am sure in the usual Spanish way, a blind eye will be turned to the 90 days. Southern Europe needs money and investment - no matter what the "Serving Northern Europe for the sake of Germany's economy" EU says.
Ant

Post by Ant »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:01 am

Interesting; I'm greedy for wanting to enjoy the fruits of my labours (a second home) whereas you are not? I'm sure if access to your second home was restricted that we would hear all about it, and at great length.
You've got a lot to be thankful for, but nothing is ever good enough for you. Constant moaning, finger pointing and blame, it's always someone else's fault. The next time you feel hard done by, just think of what's going on in places such as Ukraine and poverty stricken areas of Africa.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:47 amBut it was still a moan about have two houses and the difficult choices that creates.
No. It was noting that he is unable to spend time how he had intended, through no fault of his own.
Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:47 am ... folks in Spain could apply for long term residency ? ... the Costa Blanca posse... the usual Spanish way
I was under the impression that his place is in France. M, care to clarify?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Thanks to Brexit we've now overtaken France as the biggest whine producers in Europe.

STFU the lots of youse.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:01 am second home
There's a 6 month visa you can get for France, add your 90 days to the start and another 90 days at the end and you can spend (almost) a year in the Schengen zone. Other than that it's 90 days in 180 or get residency.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Horse wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:30 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:47 amBut it was still a moan about have two houses and the difficult choices that creates.
No. It was noting that he is unable to spend time how he had intended, through no fault of his own.
Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:47 am ... folks in Spain could apply for long term residency ? ... the Costa Blanca posse... the usual Spanish way
My bad !
Perhaps he can clarify the French situation ( because I quite fancy buying a property in the SoF to get away from the UK winter)?
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:10 pm
Horse wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:30 pm
My bad !
Perhaps he can clarify the French situation ( because I quite fancy buying a property in the SoF to get away from the UK winter)?
Winter in the south of France might be a bit cooler than you imagine, there's a reason the French winter in Spain if they can.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Ant wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:17 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:01 am

You've got a lot to be thankful for, but nothing is ever good enough for you. Constant moaning, finger pointing and blame, it's always someone else's fault. The next time you feel hard done by, just think of what's going on in places such as Ukraine and poverty stricken areas of Africa.
Phew, that's a relief. Ant is back to his default setting - trying to blame others for his own shortcomings.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:47 am As you say, his money, and he can spend it on what he wants. But it was still a moan about have two houses and the difficult choices that creates.
You're doing an Ant here, and seeing only what you want to see. My comment was on a thread about the supposed 'benefits' of Brexit, one of which I pointed out. It was not a 'moan about having two houses and the difficult choices that creates', it was a comment on one of the consequences of Brexit. I have not and will never moan about the 'difficulties' of having two houses - I'm aware that I'm in what might seem to be a privileged position, but it's all down to choices. I don't lead an expensive lifestyle, I don't drive flashy cars etc., instead I prefer to spend my money on a) motorbikes and b) a modest property in the south of France. Your choices are doubtless different.