In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
JackyJoll

Re: In todays news...

Post by JackyJoll »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:33 pm A link to the Daily Telegraph bombshell article - Project Fear Was Right

Important because it's in the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... ght-along/
Can’t read it. What does it say?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Odd, won't let me now!

Anyway, gist is 'you [if you voted leave] were warned'

But it takes a few hundred words to say that.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

If I were Jetemy Hunt, I'd start measuring up for new curtains and carpets at No 10 as he seems to have quietly taken over from Liz Truss.

Only she doesn't seem to realise it....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:12 pm If I were Jetemy Hunt, I'd start measuring up for new curtains and carpets at No 10 as he seems to have quietly taken over from Liz Truss.

Quietly? Apart from being on the front page of the newspapers etc :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:12 pm If I were Jetemy Hunt, I'd start measuring up for new curtains and carpets at No 10 as he seems to have quietly taken over from Liz Truss.

Hope he doesn't spend too much on carpets and curtains. According to an Opinium poll yesterday he's one of several high profile types likely to lose their seats in an election. (Also Johnson and Mogg :banana-dance: + all the 'red wall' seats. Johnson might not care but Mogg will). Apparently lots of calls to headhunters going out as MPs start thinking they might need a job.

Which probably explains the volte face rather than it just being pressure from the IMF, BoE etc. Not going to get much support from people that can hear the screech of the brakes on the gravy train getting jammed on.

Be interesting to see how much they actually recover if austerity is the new economic reality.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Is JRM near enough to the [artisan] breadline that he needs a job?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:34 am Also Johnson and Mogg

Shame. They have comedy value.

God save us from empty suits in politics, such as Ed Davey.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yorick wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:08 pm It's getting serious now :obscene-birdiedoublered:

https://www.euronews.com/2022/10/18/bri ... rikes-beer
What is so special about working there that they don't leave to take a better paid driving job elsewhere, I thought we were short of HGV drivers?
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-63304390

A man whose job it is to help preserve Japan's cultural heritage has accidentally smashed his car into the country's oldest toilet at a centuries-old Buddhist temple.

The communal loo at Tofukuji in Kyoto dates back to the 15th century and is designated an important cultural asset.

Background info on the 20 seater:

The oldest and largest toilet in Japan is at Tofukuji Temple in Kyoto, which has been used by many zen monks since the early 14th century. The inside was once partitioned into (clear) chambers, liquids, and solids stored in separate rows. Now a designated national treasure.

For 600-800 years these toilets made money for the temple dwellers because the results of urination and defecation from these toilets could produce fertilizer which could be easily collected every morning and sold to local farmers. The production of first-rate fertilizers is a source of income.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:34 am Be interesting to see how much they actually recover if austerity is the new economic reality.
Reinventing the English language along the way. I appreciate that the meaning of words can evolve, but ...

The PM's spokesman said she was aware of "how many vulnerable pensioners there are," and protecting the vulnerable was a "priority"

Liz Truss has abandoned a key election pledge to raise state pensions in line with surging inflation, as she asks ministers to look for spending cuts.

The PM said two weeks ago she was "committed" to the triple lock, so payments rise by whatever is higher: prices, average earnings or 2.5%.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I refer m'learned friend back to my earlier comment.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 am They don't call her the Iron Weathervane for nothing.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:40 pm Reinventing the English language along the way. I appreciate that the meaning of words can evolve, but ...

The PM's spokesman said she was aware of "how many vulnerable pensioners there are," and protecting the vulnerable was a "priority"

Liz Truss has abandoned a key election pledge to raise state pensions in line with surging inflation, as she asks ministers to look for spending cuts.

The PM said two weeks ago she was "committed" to the triple lock, so payments rise by whatever is higher: prices, average earnings or 2.5%.
It was a stupid promise to make in the first place. Yes, some pensioners need more cash, but promising that future PMs will honour your promise was downright stupid. A key feature of English 'democracy' is that no PM is bound by precedents. LT is doubly stupid, not for breaking the election pledge (they all do that), but for repeating the promise and THEN breaking it 2 weeks later.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:47 pm I refer m'learned friend back to my earlier comment.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 am They don't call her the Iron Weathervane for nothing.
Hopefully on a pivot, not threaded ...

Is anyone keeping track of whether she has kept anything from what she promised in the leadership elections? Or has she nicked all of Sunak's ideas?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:53 pm ... but for repeating the promise and THEN breaking it 2 weeks later.
And saying pensioners (at least, those who rely on it) are a priority.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:47 pm I refer m'learned friend back to my earlier comment.
I'll refer m'learned friend back to my even earlier comment - gleaned from a Tory MP - on assessing the candidates. 'If Liz Truss is the answer, you're asking the wrong question.'

(She's currently hunkered down in No. 10, wearing the equivalent of a political suicide vest. 'Try to get me out of here and I'll trigger an election, then you'll be sorry').
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I reckon Charlie Tres should go all in on the "it's a new monarchy" thing and trigger an election himself. He's the only person who's got the power to do so after all :D

And they thought Hunt was in charge.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:06 pm I reckon Charlie Tres should go all in on the "it's a new monarchy" thing and trigger an election himself. He's the only person who's got the power to do so after all :D

And they thought Hunt was in charge.
He should propose himself for PM...sort of joint Chairman and CEO. Slimmed down monarchy/politics. Efficiencies! Reduced payroll! :thumbup:
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:23 am
I worry more about empty heads tbh.
Skub

Post by Skub »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:15 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:23 am
I worry more about empty heads tbh.
"Those who are smart enough not to get involved in politics are punished by being ruled by people dumber than themselves."
Plato
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955