General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
slowsider

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by slowsider »

Ronnie Pickering has to cross the road somewhere
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:29 pm This doesn't wind me up (very little does) but I guess amuses me.

I'm talking about stupid instructions. There are a few, one was familiar if you are a lover of Marmite - "spread thinly on toast". How fucking ridiculous is that? :D

The one that amused me today was "Do not block the aisle while putting your hand luggage in the overhead bins."

Planes are designed to require you to block the aisle ffs. :thumbup:
This is a strange instruction! :lol:

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:59 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:11 pm This BMP daily. Fair play to him for stopping the twat.

Watch the clip again if you think the cyclist is at fault.

The cyclist was doing what he's supposed to do, i.e. give way to the pedestrian. He's aiming for the gap behind the pedestrian..
The pedestrian stops and moves back into the cyclist's path. The pedestrian is the cause of the altercation.

Some people think vehicles are supposed to stop at pedestrian crossings. They're not, they're supposed to give way.
I was taught that you mustn't enter/go onto a pedestrian crossing until the crossing is clear - as in the pedestrian has completed the cross from one side to the other

Ok, I was taught that a loooooong time ago and it may not have been in the highway code!!

But, if the pedestrian saw what was probably yet another cyclist not following the code (if he was taught the same as me) then I get why he might have suddenly lost patience and made a stand.

It did make the other cyclists wait out until he'd finished the disagreement and finished crossing :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Noggin wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:59 pm I was taught that you mustn't enter/go onto a pedestrian crossing until the crossing is clear - as in the pedestrian has completed the cross from one side to the other
Hare's the relevant parts of rule 195 (you can check it here)
Zebra and parallel crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
you should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross
you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
The cyclist did all of that. The drama was caused by the entitled pedestrian.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Yambo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:22 pm...But then, he's a cyclist so is by definition, ignorant of the law.
That explains a lot. I'm a cyclist so obviously I know nothing .
Last edited by Saga Lout on Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:16 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:03 pm I've worked out what's been giving me a low level niggling "something not right" feeling about rail tickets:

"Valid via any permitted route"

In other words: "Valid where it's valid". :roll:
I have a similar thing about Masterchef and similar cooking programmes.

"The secret is to cook it not too much and not too little".

That is true of ALL cooking, pretty much by definition. And indeed almost any other activity you care to partake in.
That's the Goldilocks rule:

Not too hot, not too cold
Not too soft, not too hard
Not too large, not too small
etc.
:)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Taipan wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:11 pm This BMP daily. Fair play to him for stopping the twat.

Brolly in the front wheel would have sored the cunt out :thumbup:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I'm still a massive wuss :(

I thought it would be a good ides to change the dressing on my wrist yesterday (I had carpal tunnel surgery on Monday)

Bandage off, here's my gash (copyright Noggin)

got in the shower, started feeling light headed, got out of the shower, had to go and lie down.

Eventually got my head back together and managed to redress the wound.

45 year old, snowboarding, mountain biking, snowboarding hero, can't handle looking at a small cut on his hand :(
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I couldn’t wait to see my gash and haven’t stopped grossing people out with the pictures since and regaling them with the tale of amazement at how easy it was to cut and remove the staples!😄

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Fooking hell - did you do the surgery yourself? :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:52 am Fooking hell - did you do the surgery yourself? :D
Either him or the lad from the Cornish pasty bakery down the road.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Saga Lout wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:44 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:59 pm I was taught that you mustn't enter/go onto a pedestrian crossing until the crossing is clear - as in the pedestrian has completed the cross from one side to the other
Hare's the relevant parts of rule 195 (you can check it here)
Zebra and parallel crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
you should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross
you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing
The cyclist did all of that. The drama was caused by the entitled pedestrian.
SL is bang on - the pedestrian has gone looking for trouble. He walks off in the same direction as he started as the clip is ending. I'm a little disappointed that they cyclist took that shit from him.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Seems pretty obvious to me that the pedestrian started walking, sees a cyclist bearing down on him and instinctively steps backwards again to avoid a collision. Meanwhile the cyclist assumes the ped is gonna keep moving forward, so when said ped reactively steps back the two come together.

As a pedestrian it's not a safe bet that someone is going to stop at a zebra crossing, I'd never assume they're going to stop until either they have or they've given you the universal hand wave.

As a cyclist you shouldn't be aiming to cut people really close. Pedestrians are like frightened horses a lot of the time.

Meh - 6 of one. As usual in these situations everyone looks like a cvnt. Both had the chance to not be dicks and both elected to not take that chance :lol:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:14 am Seems pretty obvious to me that the pedestrian started walking, sees a cyclist bearing down on him and instinctively steps backwards again to avoid a collision. Meanwhile the cyclist assumes the ped is gonna keep moving forward, so when said ped reactively steps back the two come together.

As a pedestrian it's not a safe bet that someone is going to stop at a zebra crossing, I'd never assume they're going to stop until either they have or they've given you the universal hand wave.

As a cyclist you shouldn't be aiming to cut people really close. Pedestrians are like frightened horses a lot of the time.

Meh - 6 of one. As usual in these situations everyone looks like a cvnt. Both had the chance to not be dicks and both elected to not take that chance :lol:
I think living in London does that to some people !
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:14 am Seems pretty obvious to me that the pedestrian started walking, sees a cyclist bearing down on him and instinctively steps backwards again to avoid a collision. Meanwhile the cyclist assumes the ped is gonna keep moving forward, so when said ped reactively steps back the two come together.

He doesn't step backward, he turns to confront the cyclist. Only one cunt in that situation.
The Martian

Post by The Martian »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:49 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:12 pm
:lol: It's not the £ with the house stuff, it's the hassle of having it invaded by decorators etc. My approach is like cars, buy house, use it until it's a bit tatty, sell it and buy another in better nick. :D
My sentiments exactly! Plus Mrs CJ is NEVER happy with the 'professional' tradesman and I usually have to sand something down and re-finish it to her standards. Or finish the job if the aforesaid 'professional' walks off in a huff because his idea of quality is not what she wants! We moved into a brand new house a while back, and I had to repaint every square inch of gloss, and at several walls of emulsion.
You're getting the wrong people in. I ask for a walk around close to the end of the job and rarely get any snags.
If you get a decorator in they should be spending about half the job on prep work to ensure the finish is right.
Expectations of quality should be sorted out when quoting, some people just want a refresh, others want it perfect.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Decorators who paint over the bleed ports of radiators :roll:
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I guess the rights and wrongs of the twat riding across the crossing are open to opinion, but that just the tip of the iceberg. They do that on light-controlled crossings and go against their red light. TBF, it's not all Londons cyclists that are cnuts, It's normally, but not always, the delivery boys or lycra clads that do this. The red light jumping and just plain irresponsible riding has become enough of an issue for me to upgrade and always use a GoPro now.

It's not all bad though. I saw two lycras crash into each other and decide to have a fight because of it. Funny as fook as they were sliding and falling over whilst trying to lamp each other cos they had those cleats (sp?) on! :D Wish I'd had my GoPro that day, the vid would have gone viral! :king:
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:00 am I guess the rights and wrongs of the twat riding across the crossing are open to opinion, but that just the tip of the iceberg. They do that on light-controlled crossings and go against their red light. TBF, it's not all Londons cyclists that are cnuts, It's normally, but not always, the delivery boys or lycra clads that do this. The red light jumping and just plain irresponsible riding has become enough of an issue for me to upgrade and always use a GoPro now.

It's not all bad though. I saw two lycras crash into each other and decide to have a fight because of it. Funny as fook as they were sliding and falling over whilst trying to lamp each other cos they had those cleats (sp?) on! :D Wish I'd had my GoPro that day, the vid would have gone viral! :king:
Lycra [x]
Red light jumping [x]
Don't pay road tax [ ]

Two out of three's not bad, I suppose. :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Saga Lout wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:21 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:00 am I guess the rights and wrongs of the twat riding across the crossing are open to opinion, but that just the tip of the iceberg. They do that on light-controlled crossings and go against their red light. TBF, it's not all Londons cyclists that are cnuts, It's normally, but not always, the delivery boys or lycra clads that do this. The red light jumping and just plain irresponsible riding has become enough of an issue for me to upgrade and always use a GoPro now.

Lycra [x]
Red light jumping [x]
Don't pay road tax [ ]

Two out of three's not bad, I suppose. :D
Number 3 is the silver bullet should you have an interaction! Mamils just love that retort! :lol: