What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Yambo wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:48 am
weeksy wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:12 pm Is that imported sand? Or is that a daft question?

I was wondering if those palm trees were imported!
The palm trees are fed by miles and miles of pipes delivering treated and filtered sewage.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:31 am LEts be honest, how often in a given month do you go socially outside of something the size of the island he's on ? I know for us, it's not very often. Lets say 90mins driving, how often do you go further than 90 mins ? We're mostly home-birds i think in this country and don't stray often from our nest. The only real times we do is for MTB stuff, this weekend i'm going to the Peaks which is 3 hours away, but that's a trip that's been planned for months, not just a spur of the moment thing.
At least every other weekend, rising to every weekend during the rising season, just swing a leg over and point the bike towards a coast.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:13 am
weeksy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:31 am LEts be honest, how often in a given month do you go socially outside of something the size of the island he's on ? I know for us, it's not very often. Lets say 90mins driving, how often do you go further than 90 mins ? We're mostly home-birds i think in this country and don't stray often from our nest. The only real times we do is for MTB stuff, this weekend i'm going to the Peaks which is 3 hours away, but that's a trip that's been planned for months, not just a spur of the moment thing.
At least every other weekend, rising to every weekend during the rising season, just swing a leg over and point the bike towards a coast.
Ditto. I can see the coast of Fuertaventura right now. :)
cheb

Post by cheb »

weeksy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:31 am
Pirahna wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:49 am
Yorick wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:55 pm
I'm biting my tongue, or I'll get barred.

It's fucking amazing. We love it. If you don't, just fuck off with your cold, wet UK
Bite your tongue all you like, it strikes me as very sad. Look at my cheap beer etc but wherever you go it's all the same. Today I rode up a volcano, it's a volcanic island and if you want to go up then that's all you have. It's a small island, if you want to leave it's either a plane to somewhere or a boat to an African war zone. GSXR.
LEts be honest, how often in a given month do you go socially outside of something the size of the island he's on ?
I know for us, it's not very often. Lets say 90mins driving, how often do you go further than 90 mins ? We're mostly home-birds i think in this country and don't stray often from our nest. The only real times we do is for MTB stuff, this weekend i'm going to the Peaks which is 3 hours away, but that's a trip that's been planned for months, not just a spur of the moment thing.

I'm very much 50-50 on his lifestyle in the context of me wanting to take it up... Part of me would love to be on holiday every day from now to eternity.. but part of me could see me getting bored too... How bored, i don't know... It's not like i got rock climbing every week or building dens in the forest... I think in many ways the benefits outweigh the downsides and the boredom factor would be outweighed by having all day sun, bars nearby and somewhere to ride if an when i wanted.

Pretty much every day for me.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Home physio this morning followed by a chat with my god daughter who is in Southmead (Bristol) hospital after being diagnosed with fluid on the brain and having to suffer two days of attempts to do a lumbar puncture :o :o Hasn't solved things yet. Tough for a youngster (21) to be in hospital alone, her mum and fiance can't go check on her :( :(

Then down to the valley to sign some paperwork at French school

Physio proper

then up to a nearby resort to redo the haircut!! Liking it being even shorter at the back!!

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Breakfast at the yacht club, then went and test drove a Ferrari that I fancy, it's a 248TS, not great on reputation as they go, but I drooled over one as a yoof and always said "One day" so it's on my bucket list. I'd have gone after the Magnum PI one but I actually prefer the 248 and it's from the era when I was in a shitty situation and used to dream about what it would be like to not be the yoof living in hell and instead be the bloke that has his own yacht and a Ferrari 248.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am Breakfast at the yacht club, then went and test drove a Ferrari that I fancy, it's a 248TS, not great on reputation as they go, but I drooled over one as a yoof and always said "One day" so it's on my bucket list. I'd have gone after the Magnum PI one but I actually prefer the 248 and it's from the era when I was in a shitty situation and used to dream about what it would be like to not be the yoof living in hell and instead be the bloke that has his own yacht and a Ferrari 248.
No idea what one looks like... throw pics up.

What was it like then ?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I went to bed really late (trying to make progress with a baby blanket I'm crocheting and kept going till my eyes went fuzzy!!!) - so late up this morning. Am supposed to make crumpets to show my online French teacher when I translate the recipe later. Might have to try and fit that in between getting home from physio and starting the lesson!!

The last couple of lessons have been based on a recipe for Tomate Farcie Maison (stuffed toms to you and me) which I'd never had. We spent a lot of time reading the recipe (well I did and she corrected my pronunciation) - with my reading issues and reading aloud issues in English, it was an extra challenge in French. But we spent so much time on it that I felt the need to make them, so last nights dinner -

Need to make them again cos I forgot the egg and cream to go in them. But twas blooming lush and I have one for tea tonight :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:36 am
No idea what one looks like... throw pics up.

What was it like then ?
Typo, it's a 348ts.

It looks and sounds like this (without the dodgy tickover) (fast forward to 20 seconds).
Play it loud.

Most pleasing thing I've ever driven, but it's like a Landrover, shit on paper, but if you love them then nothing else will fill that gap.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 am
Play it loud.

Most pleasing thing I've ever driven, but it's like a Landrover, shit on paper, but if you love them then nothing else will fill that gap.
On a conference call.

I'm not judge at all when it comes to cars... If i win the lottery i'm buying a van for me :)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 am

Damn that's put a massive grin on my face!! :lol: I LOVE the noise of awesome cars! I've never actually made it to the Geneva Motor Show but the week it's on (and a few days either side) there are always amazing cars around the airport route that I use. Very often it's 'necessary' to open the window when in one of the tunnels - some passengers are confused, others grin like I do!! :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am Breakfast at the yacht club, then went and test drove a Ferrari that I fancy, it's a 248TS, not great on reputation as they go, but I drooled over one as a yoof and always said "One day" so it's on my bucket list.

You're getting on a bit. Were you OK getting in and out? :lol:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The only proper Ferrari's (if you grew up in the 80s)...

Testarossa, because they're cool.
318GTS, because they're cool and Magnum had one.
F40, because they're really fucking cool.

Everything else is shit modern crap.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My SiL just called. My sis is 50 this year and was avoiding having a get together (she'd booked to go sit in a field/see a music festival with her mates that weekend!).

SiL just called to say that was off and they are now sorting a get together on the weekend closest to her birthday. :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

I know there are no guarantees, but it looks like I might get to see my family in September :banana-dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :banana-dance: :obscene-drinkingcheers: We aren't particularly close, but I have missed them more than I thought possible

September will be 22 months from the last time I saw them all :shock:

Suppose I need to plan to see my mother as well, but the fun stuff will outweigh that visit!! LOL

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Dashed the Gremlinette's plans to grab a cheap long weekend in Bologna with her boyfriend in June by telling her that, yes, flights are cheap as chips, the hotel is a virtual giveaway and, yes, the weather will be good.
However, you will have to go straight to the hotel and stay there for 5 days in quarantine, which puts a serious dampener on the whole trip.

I can be such a killjoy at times. :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:24 am The only proper Ferrari's (if you grew up in the 80s)...

They're all just bits of metal and plastic, it's not about the actual thing, I don't value the thing, only the way it makes me feel.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:06 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:24 am The only proper Ferrari's (if you grew up in the 80s)...

They're all just bits of metal and plastic, it's not about the actual thing, I don't value the thing, only the way it makes me feel.
...and all three of those would make you feel cool :p
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 pm
If any of those three made me feel anything at all I'd already be going after them.
They're definitely nice cars, but there are a lot of things out there that are nice but I don't want them.

A materialistic person would buy them because he just likes having nice things, I don't know what the word is for me but I don't value things very much, I tend not to look after a lot of stuff properly because I don't value the actual thing, as I said it's just about the way it makes me feel.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:15 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 pm
If any of those three made me feel anything at all I'd already be going after them.
They're definitely nice cars, but there are a lot of things out there that are nice but I don't want them.

A materialistic person would buy them because he just likes having nice things, I don't know what the word is for me but I don't value things very much, I tend not to look after a lot of stuff properly because I don't value the actual thing, as I said it's just about the way it makes me feel.
So what DOES make you feel then ?
Etype Jag ? Morgan ? Audi Quattro ?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Sat through possibly the dullest training I've ever sat through. How to complete a vehicle walk round check app. I think they explained how to fill in each one of the 39 separate checks that are on the app, and each one is completed in exactly the same way.

Then there was the Accident app. I was stunned by the difficulty of this one, who knew that in the section for Drivers* details, you entered the driver's details? That's their name. :angry-cussingblack:

I think I died of boredom at one point. And I hate to think how much the taxpayer has splashed out on this.

*sic, There was no apostrophe.