In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

Our cat Billy's reaction to Hunt becoming Chancellor 8-)
Attachments
Screenshot_20221014_152750_Gallery~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221014_152750_Gallery~2.jpg (215.39 KiB) Viewed 349 times
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:30 pm Our cat Billy's reaction to Hunt becoming Chancellor 8-)
Billy looks like he is getting ready to move into No. 10 when Larry gets blamed for the financial mess and gets sacked too.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

General Election before the end of the year
Is Jeremy the Hunt really the best financial brain they've got?
Honda Owner
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pm General Election before the end of the year
He is good at claiming expenses.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pm General Election before the end of the year
I wondered how many turned the job down before she found someone that would take it.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.nikonsmallworld.com/galleri ... -day-gecko

92 images to work through, including:

irie

Post by irie »

Don't think it makes much difference as long as the Chancellor does what the BoE Andrew Bailey, US Fed Jerome Powell, IMF Kristalina Georgieva, the Pension Funds, and the LDI managers tell them what to do. :silent:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:53 pm
I wondered how many turned the job down before she found someone that would take it.
At least it's not that slimeball Gove. :thumbup:
Felix

Post by Felix »

irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:30 pm
irie wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:42 pm
Don't think it makes much difference as long as the Chancellor does what the BoE Andrew Bailey, US Fed Jerome Powell, IMF Kristalina Georgieva, the Pension Funds, and the LDI managers tell them what to do. :silent:
Those people you list all have quite different policies and they're not all telling the UK chancellor what to do, you're showing your complete ignorance again.
To the contrary, all the above parties have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Felix wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:10 pm Vincent Van Broth

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... sunflowers
Is their problem its being an oil painting?
Felix

Post by Felix »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:45 pm
Felix wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:10 pm Vincent Van Broth

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... sunflowers
Is their problem its being an oil painting?
Leve them stuck to the wall till they starve. Bet they will soon regret wasting the soup.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:02 am
irie wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:28 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:30 pm
Those people you list all have quite different policies and they're not all telling the UK chancellor what to do, you're showing your complete ignorance again.
To the contrary, all the above parties have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.
They don't, an easy example is the Fed have quite a different idea of what they want out of the dollar than Mr Bailey does with the pound, even in very basic terms.

I'm not running a masters in economics, so I'm not going to lecture you, but ask yourself four things - Who has what, what do they want to do with it, to what level/standard, and how do they want to be measured.

If the answers to those four questions are the same when you apply them to all the examples of people/organisations in your post then you've got it wrong.
Oh yes, they certainly all do

Of course the Fed has a different idea of what they want out of the dollar than Bailey and the BoE does with the pound, and the IMF has different objectives.

The common factor which you profess to not understanding is that they all have financial irons in the fire which are at risk if the status quo is not maintained.

Surprised England with its liberal laws and stabbers and wokism is for you, but guess we all change our priorities as we age.

http://revtothelimit.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 25#p188325
Potter, Sep 19 2022 wrote: Our house (in the UK) is in a village(?) of just under 2,000 people, it has a bakers, a butchers, a barber/hairdresser, an offie/newsagent, a pub and a working marina where I can moor my boat less than 10 minutes walk from the house.

After that it's fields, but 25 minutes drive to a provincial town with major railway station and big shops.
The supermarkets deliver so no need to subject yourself to actually going there.

The problem with towns or large groups of people living together in the UK is that you will be close to the underbelly of society who will inevitably end up in your space as well, dossing and pinching and worrying the vulnerable. I think many people are so used to it that they don't even think about it, but some do, especially as they get older.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:22 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63253948

El Clasico: Barcelona to celebrate rapper Drake with special shirts against Real Madrid

Is it completely wrong that until i was this on the Football page of BBC i wasn't even aware of Drake ? 50Bn downloads and never even aware he existed.
My first thought when I saw that was " Why are Sheffield Wednesday sponsoring Barca' :lol:
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:01 am
irie wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:21 pm
Of course the Fed has a different idea of what they want out of the dollar than Bailey and the BoE does with the pound, and the IMF has different objectives.

The common factor which you profess to not understanding is that they all have financial irons in the fire which are at risk if the status quo is not maintained.
Oh I see, ok, your point seems to be that what they have in common is that they all want to keep their "financial irons" alive.
Well, it's a very basic grasp of it, but ok.

One might ask how can they all have different objectives and all be making different power plays in different directions, but all want to maintain the status quo? But I suppose you'd arrive back at your very basic common survival theory.

This isn't an argument, I'm pointing this stuff out to you as a favour because I've learned a lot in the past from being wrong.
Thank-you for trying to save me from my own stupidity.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:30 am On that note, Mr Bailey seems to have arrived at a conclusion... https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63271551

"Andrew Bailey said "inflationary pressures" meant a "stronger response" could be needed from the Bank than thought..." - Crikey, he must be a genius :lol:
Current inflation is unusual because it is not, as it normally is, excess demand fuelled by loose money.

It is supply side inflation driven by a sudden reduction of energy availability.

Central banks will not be able to control this inflation by reducing money supply (by performing Quantitive Tightening).

What QT will do is push economies further into recession.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Gosh, this thread has become sooooo interesting....
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hoonercat wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:55 pm Gosh, this thread has become sooooo interesting....
Lots of talking bollox ...

[BBC news, today]
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:19 pm
Hoonercat wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:55 pm Gosh, this thread has become sooooo interesting....
Lots of talking bollox ...

[BBC news, today]
Internal testicles? I think there have been times during the Winter when that has happened me. :silent:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
irie

Post by irie »

Just Stop Oil protesters spray paint over Aston Martin showroom and block Park Lane.

Doesn't look like your average AM purchaser.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221016_203822_Gallery~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221016_203822_Gallery~2.jpg (173.93 KiB) Viewed 269 times