Reading: The Book Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Sunny

Re: Reading: The Book Thread

Post by Sunny »

Read Richard Osman's latest over the weekend: 'We Solve Murders'. Light and fluffy, not as good as his Thursday Murder Club stuff for me, but still decent for a bit of brain-out reading. 😊
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

The Anxious Generation: https://www.anxiousgeneration.com/book

If you have kids coming up to teen years, I urge you to read this book.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Sunny wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:42 pm Currently on the last of the 'Beartown' trilogy by Fredrick Backman. (He wrote A Man Called Ove, which was excellent, and turned into the somewhat mediocre recent A Man Called Otto film). Not my usual fare, but.
Having read the Ove book I wondered about the film - the USA version with Tom Hanks looks like another 'why bother when there's a better version already available?'. So I bought the original Swedish version, with English subtitles and 'Wallander' as Ove. I'll report back when I've watched it.

Reading binge continues. Just read 'Cider with Rosie' for the first time in umptyninethousand years. Loved it. :thumbup: Will follow up with the other two in the trilogy. (Have read 'When I walked out...' years ago but not the 3rd).

Oddly enough I'd just read another book where WWI features. 'The Skylarks War' by Hilary McKay - supposed to be for 9 -12 year olds but I wouldn't let that put anyone off, it doesn't pull punches about life/death in the trenches etc. Costa award winner. (There's a follow up covering WWII called 'The Swallows Flight').
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

On holiday, so i downloaded a Kindle Unlimited series to stave off the ennui of endless beaches, bikini clad lovelies, swimming pools and surf...

Its called the Drop Trooper series by Rick Partlow. If you liked Marko Kloos' Frontlines series, you'll find it's ok. It certainly keeps the ball rolling, I'm on book 4 already....
non quod, sed quomodo
millemille

Post by millemille »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:31 pm On holiday, so i downloaded a Kindle Unlimited series to stave off the ennui of endless beaches, bikini clad lovelies, swimming pools and surf...

Its called the Drop Trooper series by Rick Partlow. If you liked Marko Kloos' Frontlines series, you'll find it's ok. It certainly keeps the ball rolling, I'm on book 4 already....
I love the Frontline series and I'm itching to know what Kloos is going to do with the universe he's created now that he appears to have written the protagonist out because all of the discoveries about the lankies made in the last book deserve to be followed up.