Find me a van then...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Find me a van then...

Post by weeksy »

I got 34mpg from the first tank. As it was not the sort of conditions today that need the screen/windows clearing with the air-con i thought i'd switch it off when i was out.

Over a 2 hour trip.
Image2023-01-05_12-51-18 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Got to be happy with that... mostly motorway and sitting at 67mph on the Cruise control.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Screw a couple of rows of https://www.first4magnets.com/magnet-ma ... 2|ps_2_679 on them, should help stop small parts growing legs and going missing when you're working on the bikes ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Oh man this starts getting fun when you get to the bigger pieces.

I'm doing the side piece behind the driver... it's top to bottom in height and about half a van length. I'm not quite sure how this one will go.

I've got it cut out, laid and the glue now drying with the carpet on.... Then need to flip it and do the edges onto the back side, then re-fit and screw back in.

I REALLY don't like drilling towards a van panel... i know i shouldn't drill through the side of the van, but it still makes me nervous !

Image2023-01-10_08-42-05 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2023-01-10_10-21-08 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Side done... that's it till this evening/afternoon. Wheel arch next and then over to the passenger side later in week
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Looks a bit gloomy in there. May I recommend one of these? https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-rech ... 00lm/339pg

Is it a sound deadening kit you're fitting or are the boards already in there and you're padding them with carpet tiles? (Or cutting the boards as well?).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:42 am Looks a bit gloomy in there. May I recommend one of these? https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-rech ... 00lm/339pg

Is it a sound deadening kit you're fitting or are the boards already in there and you're padding them with carpet tiles? (Or cutting the boards as well?).
Boards/Ply already are in place, so i'm just removing them, carpeting them and re-fitting them. I didn't bother with sound deadening stuff, it's a van not a Lexus. I don't think it'd ever reach the status of a car no matter what i do with it. It's not carpet tiles, it's just a 5m x 2m length of carpet you then need to cut, glue and re-mount.

Lighting is something i'm debating. Whether to do with a 12v setup and get a grown up to wire it in. Or even an LED that can plug into a USB battery pack thing. It's the sort of thing that whilst i may get things done this week, this month, i may then find in the coming months that i change my plan, swap things about and do things slightly differently.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Not sure I really see the point of carpeting the panels? That's more something people do with campers, than utility vans. It's certainly not the most durable of coverings and I doubt it'll be looking good in a few months time. I think you'd have been better off just painting them white for better light reflection. You can easily repaint after it gets scuffed etc.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:39 am Not sure I really see the point of carpeting the panels? That's more something people do with campers, than utility vans. It's certainly not the most durable of coverings and I doubt it'll be looking good in a few months time. I think you'd have been better off just painting them white for better light reflection. You can easily repaint after it gets scuffed etc.
Was as much an experiment as anything. See how it looks, see how it lasts and address it from there.

Whilst it is a utility vehicle, it's also a van we use day to day and will be sitting in, around, potentially even one of us sleeping in it at times.. lunches, meals there'll be a fair bit of time with the van this year potentially.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2023-01-10_12-40-03 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Got slightly spoiled by the backing of the carpet tile on the top of the wheel arch, i didn't use the carpet i've used everywhere else because i wanted to put something harder wearing on the top as that's where we'll be sitting with muddy arses and with boxes being lobbed on there etc. But the carpet tiles have a thick black base, which is what we can see on the top of the wheel arch. I'm not convinced yet that it'll get left like that
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:43 pm But the carpet tiles have a thick black base, which is what we can see on the top of the wheel arch. I'm not convinced yet that it'll get left like that
Turn it over, use a sharp knife and a steady hand and cut a chamfer out of the backing, resultant leading edge will now be thinner and more cooperative to being formed over the edge of the wheel arch
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Given the hammer that it'll get, toolboxes, muddy bums etc I'd be tempted to use the stuff that they call 'coin plate rubber matting' that you can get for garages and maybe hang a couple of washable patio cushions nearby to stick on top if you want a comfy seat.
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:50 pm Given the hammer that it'll get, toolboxes, muddy bums etc I'd be tempted to use the stuff that they call 'coin plate rubber matting' that you can get for garages and maybe hang a couple of washable patio cushions nearby to stick on top if you want a comfy seat.
Good plan. I've just tested the theory with some gym matting i've trimmed to size and i have to say, yeah i like it.

Nice thought, thanks
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

BTW Weeksy, how are you getting on with the Ryobi stuff? I've ended up with quite a bit over the last 6 months or so and it seems pretty reliable.
non quod, sed quomodo
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:59 pm BTW Weeksy, how are you getting on with the Ryobi stuff? I've ended up with quite a bit over the last 6 months or so and it seems pretty reliable.
I rarely use the drill mate, but when i do, it works. It's the only power tool i own, so can't comment on anything else.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:51 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:50 pm Given the hammer that it'll get, toolboxes, muddy bums etc I'd be tempted to use the stuff that they call 'coin plate rubber matting' that you can get for garages and maybe hang a couple of washable patio cushions nearby to stick on top if you want a comfy seat.
Good plan. I've just tested the theory with some gym matting i've trimmed to size and i have to say, yeah i like it.

Nice thought, thanks
Coolio. :thumbup:
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

For the lighting I'd suggest a hand held rechargable inspection light. They usually have a magnet so can be stuck to steel in the back. I've go a Lidl one that charges via a usb connection, the as on my phone, satnav and ebook.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

For led lighting the 12volt self adhesive strip you get for under kitchen cupboard lighting works great. Just connect a strip into the rear light that’ll come on when you open doors. For a working light one that charges from the 12v socket e-while you drive works well
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2023-01-10_04-01-12 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Getting there.. 1 panel and the wheel-arch left to do. Getting dark now though so it can wait until another day.