Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

Post by gremlin »

Felix wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:16 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:38 pm Jammy gits! I'm so envious of these first tracks - not of the day, of the season! Here's hoping for a sunny day and that someone has made some pistes by the weekend so I can co for a little sedate ski tour :D :D

Get up early and draw a big cock n balls :thumbup:
In urine.

Granted you may struggle given your lack of writing implement, so see if you can borrow one.

No cheating, either. It has to be in your hand writing. ;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:32 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:45 pm

While I was away recently I relaxed my gusset and had a glass of Primitivo (aka zinfandel)
I 'discovered' primitivo way dahn sarf in Italy years back. I liked it, but you couldn't really find it in the UK back then, as it was considered a bit rough, a bit working class, etc., and everyone was banging on about 'Super Tuscans'.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I find myself shelling out £80 on a bottle in a (granted, pricey) restaurant. I will admit, the producers have upped their game a bit down in Puglia. It was bloody lovely.
£80! Yoinks!

The most expensive bottle at The Wine Soc is £13.50 for a 2020 iirc. They're out of stock on several but they're due in soon.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/ ... -moro-2020
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

My electricity bill, well my meter readings really. I've been in for 18 days and I've used 50 units. That included bashing the air source heat pump on full for a day to test it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

cheb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:26 pm My electricity bill, well my meter readings really. I've been in for 18 days and I've used 50 units. That included bashing the air source heat pump on full for a day to test it.
Is the heat pump up to the job in the frozen wastelands?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
cheb

Post by cheb »

It was a couple of weeks ago. TBF it doesn't get that cold up here, the lowest is about -5c and that's rare. Heating is currently, and will be for the foreseeable, a multifuel stove burning old pallets or dried mud.

I'm close to peak scrat I think.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Ooooo, looks like we might get another 20-30cms of snow this weekend :D :D :D

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

cheb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:31 pm It was a couple of weeks ago. TBF it doesn't get that cold up here, the lowest is about -5c and that's rare. Heating is currently, and will be for the foreseeable, a multifuel stove burning old pallets or dried mud.

Burning dried mud? That's a new one for me.
Walt Whitman
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Skub wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:36 pm
cheb wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:31 pm It was a couple of weeks ago. TBF it doesn't get that cold up here, the lowest is about -5c and that's rare. Heating is currently, and will be for the foreseeable, a multifuel stove burning old pallets or dried mud.

You can burn peat. Which is kinda dried mud :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:38 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:36 pm

You can burn peat. Which is kinda dried mud :)
Imagine a bogtrotter missing that one. :lol:
Walt Whitman
cheb

Post by cheb »

Yep, peat. There's uncounted tonnes of the stuff here and it's simple to cut and dry. Preferable to coal as it's cleaner, it doesn't stain if you spill it.

Old pallets etc are even easier and easily got too.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I half nicked the line from P.J.O'Rourke. Only the Celts could get drunk enough to try and burn mud.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

A good meal, fine company and a bit too much Macallen for your b'day
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:20 am
gremlin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:32 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:45 pm

While I was away recently I relaxed my gusset and had a glass of Primitivo (aka zinfandel)
I 'discovered' primitivo way dahn sarf in Italy years back. I liked it, but you couldn't really find it in the UK back then, as it was considered a bit rough, a bit working class, etc., and everyone was banging on about 'Super Tuscans'.

Fast forward a couple of decades and I find myself shelling out £80 on a bottle in a (granted, pricey) restaurant. I will admit, the producers have upped their game a bit down in Puglia. It was bloody lovely.
£80! Yoinks!

The most expensive bottle at The Wine Soc is £13.50 for a 2020 iirc. They're out of stock on several but they're due in soon.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/product/ ... -moro-2020
Laithwaites do a half-decent Primitivo, I didn't realise it was from the same grape as that crappy Zinfandel! There again, In Paris i was told to never buy wine in Calais, the French used to dump all their shit there for Brits to buy. Having been to the USA they do some really superb wines, the only stuff available in the UK is the crap they cannot sell anywhere else. And the Zinfandel is the worst!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:53 pm Having been to the USA they do some really superb wines, the only stuff available in the UK is the crap they cannot sell anywhere else. And the Zinfandel is the worst!
The last time I was in the USA (2014, I think) I couldn't believe how crap the wine was in the restaurants we went to. Anything American was ridiculously sweet, no matter what grape variety it was. The only exception was Malbec, either Chilean or Argentinian, which was a complete life-saver as it was very drinkable. The only wine I drank in the time we were in the USA was Malbec, apart from the 5 litre bag in box of good French Languedoc wine I smuggled in for drinking at my sister in law's place...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Skub wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:49 pm Imagine a bogtrotter missing that one. :lol:
Burning what :o
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:21 pm
The last time I was in the USA (2014, I think) I couldn't believe how crap the wine was in the restaurants we went to. Anything American was ridiculously sweet, no matter what grape variety it was. The only exception was Malbec, either Chilean or Argentinian, which was a complete life-saver as it was very drinkable. The only wine I drank in the time we were in the USA was Malbec, apart from the 5 litre bag in box of good French Languedoc wine I smuggled in for drinking at my sister in law's place...
Most of my trips were in the late 90s and in the 2000s, but almost all the local wines from Washington and Oregon were good. In about about 97 we went to NY and had a meal at the restaurant at the top of the twin towers. That had a 50-60 page wine list, ranging up to $1000+ per bottle. All from the USA. The red we had was superb, and that was nowhere near the top of the price range.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:21 am
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:21 pm
Most of my trips were in the late 90s and in the 2000s, but almost all the local wines from Washington and Oregon were good. In about about 97 we went to NY and had a meal at the restaurant at the top of the twin towers. That had a 50-60 page wine list, ranging up to $1000+ per bottle. All from the USA. The red we had was superb, and that was nowhere near the top of the price range.
We were in Tennessee/Kentucky/Virginia so probably not prime red wine appreciation/growing country. And our restaurants were a lot more modest.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Got an email from Halfords giving 30% off. Decided to get a new trolley Jack, bought it and managed to get trade card discount as well, result!!
Even better, when I collected it today, they gave me the wrong one, I got the one that fits under lower cars which is more expensive so good day today.
Mick
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:53 pm [
Laithwaites do a half-decent Primitivo,
Pallestro.

It's alright, and I have a few bottles on standby for emergencies.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Finally justified to my self i can afford to sign up for Mixcloud Pro and have put my new Jungle Mix up....Tunes from 1995-2023 with loads of rare remixes.... :bblonde: