Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: Insignificant Things That Make You Happy.

Post by cheb »

Jody wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:25 am
Felix wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:50 pm
Jody wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:39 pm
Today, a customer arrives at 5 minutes to closing.

I'm instructed by the boss to simply ascertain what tyres he needs. We will not be fitting them tonight, he can come back tomorrow.

As I go out, the guy is all apologetic, " Sorry it's late....... I'm not from round here ........ I'm going home tonight" . One glance at his tyres and I almost had no choice. They were completely bald, I couldn't even make out the tread pattern. Cords hanging out the edges.

" OK sir, I can't let you leave with them like that, I will stay late and fit these for you. Give me your keys, go see the girl in reception and lets get this done "
TBF in that state i would have probably said get on your bike and hope you get nicked.
With a long drive home and a storm expected, he might not have made it. How might I have felt if he crashed and killed someone ?!

That's awfully close to 'If it saves one life, Think of the children' arguments that really irritate me. He was, an assumption on my part, a competent adult. If so it's his fault and nobody elses. One day we might get back to people having a concept of personal responsibility. If not then he shouldn't be driving a vehicle.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Wossname wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:56 pm I remember seeing a sign behind the counter of a business (unspecified): “ a lack of preparedness on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours”.

Well done tho - both of you will have had a warm feeling, which is what it’s all about…
This was popular at one point!

Skub

Post by Skub »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:24 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:54 pm Coming near the end of my daily dander,I chanced upon a flock of Goldfinches on the path. Such a blaze of vivid colours in the Autumn sunlight. My mood was as bright as the sun. 8-)
Get a bag of nyjer seed and a feed and you'll have a garden full of gold finches.
Gonna do that. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:47 pm
Wossname wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:56 pm I remember seeing a sign behind the counter of a business (unspecified): “ a lack of preparedness on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours”.

Well done tho - both of you will have had a warm feeling, which is what it’s all about…
This was popular at one point!

Was that in an NHS hospital recently?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I put the winter liner in my new Alpinestars jacket today. It has the two press stud loops in each arm to secure the liner and they are colour coded so you don't get it around the wrong way. Its the little things... :thumbup:
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Hello scumbags. Long time no see.Beers in the bath...they make me happy. Be thankfull I didn't use the wide angle lens and get my junk in shot. Stay classy, easy now...

Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Still off work with my busted hand so getting to watch daytime telly. Luckily ITV are showing Dempsey and Makepeace, followed by Magnum PI followed by The Professionals.

Brought back memories of how insanely hot Glynis Barber was. (And still is)

And how many bad actors were about back then.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:18 am
Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:55 pm
Jody wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:39 pm

Today, a customer arrives at 5 minutes to closing.

I'm instructed by the boss to simply ascertain what tyres he needs. We will not be fitting them tonight, he can come back tomorrow.

As I go out, the guy is all apologetic, " Sorry it's late....... I'm not from round here ........ I'm going home tonight" . One glance at his tyres and I almost had no choice. They were completely bald, I couldn't even make out the tread pattern. Cords hanging out the edges.

" OK sir, I can't let you leave with them like that, I will stay late and fit these for you. Give me your keys, go see the girl in reception and lets get this done "
Kind of you but how come he drives around until he's on the canvas :shock: then suddenly it's a last minute job?
IIRC Jody's still working in France...
You don't :lol: :lol:

October and November are traditionally spent in the UK for me.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Jody wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:57 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:55 pm

Kind of you but how come he drives around until he's on the canvas :shock: then suddenly it's a last minute job?

Mea culpa.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:50 pm
Jody wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:57 pm

Mea culpa.
Ooh I love a bit of Latin. :thumbup: Hic, haec, hoc and Cotta being mortis est by the ol' saggitis barbororum. :D
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Gremlinette has anxiety issues that she's been struggling with for years. Going up to Manchester has set her back a bit, being that she's away from home and familiarity. She's been down home a few weekends and we've been trying to get her back on track, reassuring her that feeling like this is natural, etc. Anyhow, she went back last night and must have taken a few things on board that we've been discussing, including sharing her feelings with people and letting them know she has these issues.

I've just seen a screenshot of a conversation between Mrs. G and her, and all her flat mates have sat with her to get a plan together to walk with her to lectures, coordinating their timetables to meet her and walk back together, etc. Considering they've only known each other a few weeks I reckon she's fallen in with a decent bunch of young people.

She seemed really happy, which, as all us parents know, is a bloody huge relief.....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:18 pm Gremlinette has anxiety issues that she's been struggling with for years. Going up to Manchester has set her back a bit, being that she's away from home and familiarity. She's been down home a few weekends and we've been trying to get her back on track, reassuring her that feeling like this is natural, etc. Anyhow, she went back last night and must have taken a few things on board that we've been discussing, including sharing her feelings with people and letting them know she has these issues.

I've just seen a screenshot of a conversation between Mrs. G and her, and all her flat mates have sat with her to get a plan together to walk with her to lectures, coordinating their timetables to meet her and walk back together, etc. Considering they've only known each other a few weeks I reckon she's fallen in with a decent bunch of young people.

She seemed really happy, which, as all us parents know, is a bloody huge relief.....
Some groups of humans can be totally awesome. I'm so happy for you guys and especially your daughter x
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Laithwaites wine delivery!!! :thumbup:
IMG-20231108-WA0005_copy_864x1536.jpg
IMG-20231108-WA0005_copy_864x1536.jpg (311.54 KiB) Viewed 565 times
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:42 pm Laithwaites wine delivery!!! :thumbup:
Their festive brochure was delivered yesterday, we shall be placing our bulk order soon :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:45 pm
Their festive brochure was delivered yesterday, we shall be placing our bulk order soon :thumbup:
Use code 30OFF for 30% off.

Keep it to yourself, mind. ;)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:45 pm
Should have said, that code is for new customers only, so go Incognito browsing and find an email address you've never used before. Everything else can stay the same, it's only the email addy that needs to be unique.

:thumbup:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Free Beer

Ordered two boxes some six weeks ago and only one was delivered. Never seen the driver to question him as big print on the box did say 1 OF 2. Gave it till next day then complained to the supplier who sent another out that night. What is the box turns up i ask. Keep it but let us know so we can stop chasing the courier. Nice one. Guess what turned up today :D

Turned out usual Parcelforce driver was on Holiday. The relief took my beer to local post office but failed to leave me a card. Post office sat on it for a week or so and it went back to Edinburgh. Someone at the depot must have got sick of tripping over the box so they sent it out again. Crazy
Felix

Post by Felix »

Customer today gave me a bottle of red out his Laithwaites delivery. Oh its Syrian i said. Dono it came out a mixed box so when i got home and now with a real pair of specks it turn out i was looking at the Grape. Its Syrah Grape and fecking French :lol: :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Felix wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:48 pm Customer today gave me a bottle of red out his Laithwaites delivery. Oh its Syrian i said. Dono it came out a mixed box so when i got home and now with a real pair of specks it turn out i was looking at the Grape. Its Syrah Grape and fecking French :lol: :lol:
He's probably online now looking for Syrian wine, thinking it's the next big thing. :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:03 pm
Felix wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:48 pm Customer today gave me a bottle of red out his Laithwaites delivery. Oh its Syrian i said. Dono it came out a mixed box so when i got home and now with a real pair of specks it turn out i was looking at the Grape. Its Syrah Grape and fecking French :lol: :lol:
He's probably online now looking for Syrian wine, thinking it's the next big thing. :lol:
They were making wine in Syria 8 farsand years ago. Today they have 1 commercial vineyard, Domaine de Bargylus or something like that. The Middle East were quite handy with a grape until religion got in the way. :(

Meanwhile Shiraz is in Iran and quite why the Syrah/Shiraz grape got the name is anyone's guess.
Voltaire