The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Saga Lout

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:18 am I refer to this when making up lies about what watches I have to home. Wouldn't want to look stoopid... :D

https://www.watchtime.com/reference-cen ... n-guide/2/
Casio isn't on that list. :(

And I guess Rolex isn't prestigious enough either. ;)
Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Saga Lout wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 am
Taipan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:18 am I refer to this when making up lies about what watches I have to home. Wouldn't want to look stoopid... :D

https://www.watchtime.com/reference-cen ... n-guide/2/
Casio isn't on that list. :(
www.Councilhousewatchespronunciation.guv.gb
Saga Lout wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:53 am And I guess Rolex isn't prestigious enough either. ;)
www.spivwatchesonthebeachpronunciation.th

:thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Are there any Speedmaster experts or afficianados here?

My dad passed away last week which was predictably awful. He did however leave me his Speedmaster. I've always liked it but I don't really know much about them. Though I know a lot more after reading up for the last few hours.

I think it must be a 105.003 1969 from what I've read, but it seems pretty tricky to be sure until you open them up. It's possibly got a non-original chrono hand too.

What's really annoying is that although he told me where, when and why he bought it, I can't remember any of it and nor can my mum.

If anyone wants a go at trying to nail down the year then I'd be very grateful.
moth

Post by moth »

Sorry about your dad. Condolences.
Slenver wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:46 pm Are there any Speedmaster experts or afficianados here?

My dad passed away last week which was predictably awful. He did however leave me his Speedmaster. I've always liked it but I don't really know much about them. Though I know a lot more after reading up for the last few hours.

I think it must be a 105.003 1969 from what I've read, but it seems pretty tricky to be sure until you open them up. It's possibly got a non-original chrono hand too.

What's really annoying is that although he told me where, when and why he bought it, I can't remember any of it and nor can my mum.

If anyone wants a go at trying to nail down the year then I'd be very grateful.
Easiest way is to contact Omega.

Model number should be on the case back. After the model number there's -XX, that's the year.

Or should be, because that Speedy went out of production in 1965. Although they were sold until 1968, the last case backs still had -65 on 'em.

Pics?
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Thanks. Couple of quick ones.

I believe the key points are straight lugs, dot next to the 90. Pre-professional so must be a 105.003?

Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Lots of the lume is gone and there are a few light scratches on the glass, but from looking at others online it seems it's in pretty good nick. Was a little alarmed when I saw what they go for too... (Assuming he didn't just buy it in Bangkok! He travelled a lot...)
moth

Post by moth »

Not necessarily. Is there a stamp on the back of the bracelet buckle?

You could take it to an Omega AD and have them take the case back off. That'll give you the model and the calibre.

It'll cost you around 900 quid to have it identified and authenticated by Omega. Then you'll know for sure :)

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/cust ... d-extracts
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Sorry for your loss.

If you don't mind doing a bit of research then try some of the watch forums. The Omega guys are usually very pedantic and they'll tell you exactly what you have there.

Alternatively you can do what Moth suggests and get Omega to do it, or you can ask for an extract from the archives if you give them the serial number, I think there is a charge of something like £100 for this.

I think you're sitting on about £10-12k worth of watch there, so check your house insurance and/or buy a little safe and hide it away when you're not wearing it.

One more thing, I don't know what Omega do when they service these watches, I've never sent a vintage Omega for service - but some of the Rolex guys have been burnt by this when they sent their heirloom vintage Rolexes off and they came back with loads of new parts on that they didn't want. If you send it for service and you want it left original then make sure you specify EXACTLY what you want done.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

moth wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:40 pm Not necessarily. Is there a stamp on the back of the bracelet buckle?

You could take it to an Omega AD and have them take the case back off. That'll give you the model and the calibre.

It'll cost you around 900 quid to have it identified and authenticated by Omega. Then you'll know for sure :)

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/cust ... d-extracts
Cheers.

And yeah, the bracelet says 1171/1 which from a quick Google suggests it's not the original as these didn't come out until 1978. I don't think the bezel is original either. Maybe had a service and various replacement bits at some point?
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Harry wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 am Sorry for your loss.

If you don't mind doing a bit of research then try some of the watch forums. The Omega guys are usually very pedantic and they'll tell you exactly what you have there.

Alternatively you can do what Moth suggests and get Omega to do it, or you can ask for an extract from the archives if you give them the serial number, I think there is a charge of something like £100 for this.

I think you're sitting on about £10-12k worth of watch there, so check your house insurance and/or buy a little safe and hide it away when you're not wearing it.

One more thing, I don't know what Omega do when they service these watches, I've never sent a vintage Omega for service - but some of the Rolex guys have been burnt by this when they sent their heirloom vintage Rolexes off and they came back with loads of new parts on that they didn't want. If you send it for service and you want it left original then make sure you specify EXACTLY what you want done.
Thanks. And yeah, from what I've been reading it seems that Omega standard practice has been to replace parts with current ones which the collectors do not like!

Still, this is all idle curiosity really, I'm not selling it so I'm interested rather than obsessive about accuracy. But yes, I should add it to my home insurance...!
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Sorry to hear of the circumstances that resulted in you obtaining the watch but what a lovely piece to have handed down - it was clearly well used which is nice to see and not hidden in a box in a drawer somewhere.

Be nice to get in touch with Omega and obtain its history, a nice service and clean too.... :thumbup:
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am Sorry to hear of the circumstances that resulted in you obtaining the watch but what a lovely piece to have handed down - it was clearly well used which is nice to see and not hidden in a box in a drawer somewhere.

Be nice to get in touch with Omega and obtain its history, a nice service and clean too.... :thumbup:
Thank you.

Yeah, it was his daily watch. From rough memory he had it for 20 years maybe, possibly a bit longer and he always wore it.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Slenver wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:19 am
v8-powered wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:17 am Sorry to hear of the circumstances that resulted in you obtaining the watch but what a lovely piece to have handed down - it was clearly well used which is nice to see and not hidden in a box in a drawer somewhere.

Thank you.

Yeah, it was his daily watch. From rough memory he had it for 20 years maybe, possibly a bit longer and he always wore it.
I've had my Seamaster best part of 20 years now and that's been worn pretty much daily, when it comes back from its 3 yearly service it looks like new (for a while anyway!)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Well, I posted on the Omega forums and the consensus seems to be that my brief researching was pretty much spot on - early 105.003 but with replacement hands, bezel and possibly pushers and an 1980s bracelet.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Slenver wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 am Well, I posted on the Omega forums and the consensus seems to be that my brief researching was pretty much spot on - early 105.003 but with replacement hands, bezel and possibly pushers and an 1980s bracelet.
Triggers Broom! :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

BBC wrote:"The family are naturally delighted as this was a very sentimental piece."
Not so sentimental when there was £175000 involved!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:43 pm Blimey.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-not ... e-54631014
That's a good result.
If my latest Rolex goes up by the same ratio then it'll be worth about £50m in 56yrs - that would be nice for the grandkids to inherit.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

What do you reckon to this then...popped up in a banner ad.

Mechanical movement with smartwatch features added in. Uses a 'paperwhite' display like a kindle. I currently wear a 'real' watch on my left hand and a fitbit on my right, so something like this might suit better.