Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Slenver

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Slenver »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:37 pm The most telling point (to my mind) that he made was to point out the nature and location of the initial flame; it was right where the hybrid batteries would be located and the flame was bright white/orange with virtually no smoke, let alone the plumes of thick black smoke a diesel fire produces. That to me spells battery fire, not hydrocarbons. It's also comparatively difficult to set diesel alight especially when compared to petrol and, as said before, produces lots of black smoke which was absent from the blaze in the video.
Well, sort of.

Again, see the posts with the images on the previous page. This is again confusing hybrid with mild hybrid to some degree.

It's all pretty speculative seeing as how nobody actually even knows what model car it is, let alone what its powertrain is. It can be rounded down to a shortlist, but that's it currently.
David

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by David »

Potter wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:20 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:59 am We're a two PREE-US family now. No other vehicles.

It feels good to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

;)
I probably nullify your contribution every time I start up my 4.4L V8 Range Rover :lol:

It feels good to be a man, with a mans car :thumbup:
Hasn't it caught fire yet?
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

My Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4.2 TD had a moderate under bonnet fire when the alternator decided to let go.
Thankfully a fairly small dry powder extinguisher I kept in the car managed to extinguish it, and with a bit of cautionary piping replaced and a new alternator saw it back on the road.

I have an Ampera with a 14kWh battery.
I'm more concerned (though only a small amount) about the Ampera catching fire than, say, my V6 diesel Discovery (even if it has c.500kWh of diesel in it) because I charge the battery in the Ampera at home most nights.
That might be the most likely timing for it to burst into flames, when it is unattended, whereas for the Discovery it's more likely to be either when I'm driving it or, most likely if I don't keep an eye on things, on a cold morning startup as the auxiliary diesel heater fuel pipes perish and spray diesel onto the hot (enough to ignite the diesel) exhaust pipe as has happened to quite a few of this particular model.
I keep a fire extinguisher in most of my cars, along with tow rope, hi-vis jacket, breaker bar, jack, socket set and, in stormy weather, a chainsaw.

Be prepared! :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I used to keep a fire extinguisher in my auld BMW E30 with the lowered suspension and sport seats, but only 'cause I thought was cool, being a random BMW optional extra. It even had the BMW roundel on.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

David wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:08 pm
Potter wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:20 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:59 am We're a two PREE-US family now. No other vehicles.

;)
I probably nullify your contribution every time I start up my 4.4L V8 Range Rover :lol:

It feels good to be a man, with a mans car :thumbup:
Hasn't it caught fire yet?
It's been running for a few years so, as long as it's maintained it should be fine. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Kneerly Down wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:37 pm My Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4.2 TD had a moderate under bonnet fire when the alternator decided to let go.
Thankfully a fairly small dry powder extinguisher I kept in the car managed to extinguish it, and with a bit of cautionary piping replaced and a new alternator saw it back on the road.

I have an Ampera with a 14kWh battery.
I'm more concerned (though only a small amount) about the Ampera catching fire than, say, my V6 diesel Discovery (even if it has c.500kWh of diesel in it) because I charge the battery in the Ampera at home most nights.
That might be the most likely timing for it to burst into flames, when it is unattended, whereas for the Discovery it's more likely to be either when I'm driving it or, most likely if I don't keep an eye on things, on a cold morning startup as the auxiliary diesel heater fuel pipes perish and spray diesel onto the hot (enough to ignite the diesel) exhaust pipe as has happened to quite a few of this particular model.
I keep a fire extinguisher in most of my cars, along with tow rope, hi-vis jacket, breaker bar, jack, socket set and, in stormy weather, a chainsaw.

Be prepared! :D
No snow shovel? 😀
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:44 pm I used to keep a fire extinguisher in my auld BMW E30 with the lowered suspension and sport seats, but only 'cause I thought was cool, being a random BMW optional extra. It even had the BMW roundel on.

Is that a W212?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's whatever Google images found :D Couldn't find an actual BMW E30.

EDIT: Found one! Same cloth pattern and everything.

Slenver

Post by Slenver »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:59 pm Is that a W212?
It's an F10 5-series.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Slenver wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:19 pm
It's an F10 5-series.
The 'BMW' on the mat should probably have give me a hint :)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

ChrisW wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:27 pm
Slenver wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:19 pm
It's an F10 5-series.
The 'BMW' on the mat should probably have give me a hint :)
Well, that's what I noticed first but it didn't seem conclusive. So I did a reverse image search and found the whole set of photos :) Which are actually advertising the extinguisher bracket for an F10 on Etsy.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My bracket was OE BMW. Just saying.

Flogged it in the owner's forum when the car died of brown cancer.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Slenver wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:17 pm No snow shovel? 😀
I thought that went without saying! :D
And chains of course.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

;)

I'll be sure to cruise along in front of one next time I'm burning 100LL :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The enslavers must pay! :thumbdown:

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse

Post by Horse »

@Mr. Dazzle Heard about this - seems no more than a gimmick?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/toy ... r-AA1iZRm6?

Toyota intends to offer its manual transmission for electric cars as an option on its next-generation of EVs to ensure they’re not a “commodity”, and remain as fun and involving to drive as internal-combustion-engined cars.

The system, which has been in development for three years, will be a factory option buyers can select in models created on the new modular architecture being developed for launch in 2026. This will include a production version of the FT-Se sports car concept, which is being seen as a spiritual successor to the MR2. The system is likely to be standard in cars with this kind of performance focus.

The system is almost entirely software-operated, with hardware tweaks limited to a clutch pedal and gear shift borrowed from a Toyota GR86, and a rev counter and some new switchgear to select the mode. Paddle shifts are possible, too.

Engineers say the system is created as part of a drive to make electric cars “fun to drive” and respond to chairman Akio Toyoda’s brief to ensure electric cars are not simply a “commodity”.

Toyota is also developing ‘On Demand’ software for BEVs that changes the performance of the car to mimic certain other models. Installed on a Lexus RZ, a prototype version allows the performance of the car to cycle between a Toyota Passo supermini, a Toyota Tundra truck and a Lexus LFA supercar.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's kind've an obvious thing to do TBF. Gearbox manufacturers use leccy motors on a rig to simulate engines after all. One motor can be many engines. S'not a huge leap to put it in a car.

Won't do much for the price though :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Was reading a thread about a guy doing a round trip of about 1900 miles on another forum. He had a spreadsheet for distance/charging stops/Kw etc, but left out charging times... this was mentioned & he duly provided the info.

It occurred to me that it's actually faster to refuel a horse than an EV, altho they don't got quite so far on a bucket of oats & a flake of hay...
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:09 pm @Mr. Dazzle Heard about this - seems no more than a gimmick?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/toy ... r-AA1iZRm6?

Toyota intends to offer its manual transmission for electric cars as an option on its next-generation of EVs to ensure they’re not a “commodity”, and remain as fun and involving to drive as internal-combustion-engined cars.

The system, which has been in development for three years, will be a factory option buyers can select in models created on the new modular architecture being developed for launch in 2026. This will include a production version of the FT-Se sports car concept, which is being seen as a spiritual successor to the MR2. The system is likely to be standard in cars with this kind of performance focus.

The system is almost entirely software-operated, with hardware tweaks limited to a clutch pedal and gear shift borrowed from a Toyota GR86, and a rev counter and some new switchgear to select the mode. Paddle shifts are possible, too.

Engineers say the system is created as part of a drive to make electric cars “fun to drive” and respond to chairman Akio Toyoda’s brief to ensure electric cars are not simply a “commodity”.

Toyota is also developing ‘On Demand’ software for BEVs that changes the performance of the car to mimic certain other models. Installed on a Lexus RZ, a prototype version allows the performance of the car to cycle between a Toyota Passo supermini, a Toyota Tundra truck and a Lexus LFA supercar.
The new Hyundai EV5 N does this. It has 'gears' with a rev limiter and associated engine noises. Entirely subjective, but the Top Gear editor really liked it.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hyu ... irst-drive