Yorick

Re: Find me a van then...

Post by Yorick »

Beer fridge?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:49 amBeer fridge?
Cold box for sure, but most places have catering and beer etc.
G.P

Post by G.P »

These guys will come to your house and rack it to your spec.

https://comm-ply.co.uk/our-services/
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:26 am These guys will come to your house and rack it to your spec.

https://comm-ply.co.uk/our-services/
I think I'd need a 2nd mortgage.

The reality is, at the moment I don't really know what we want or where we want it. It's all guesswork right now until we get used to things and how they all play out.

@Welsh Muffin drove it today. Whilst it wasn't a love affair, she hated it less than expected lol.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Security installed today on the van... Happy :)

OK so you can still open it with a can opener :D but it's as secure as a van gets
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I do have the Question now of the Pragmasis ground anchor. It has a van fitting kit with break away bolts... but it does mean of course drilling 4 holes in the van floor (correctly and not damaging anything underneath lol

What's the forum thoughts on a ground anchor in a van ? somewhat silly ? excessive ? or "yeah go for it".

I do have the option of returning it.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:46 am I do have the Question now of the Pragmasis ground anchor. It has a van fitting kit with break away bolts... but it does mean of course drilling 4 holes in the van floor (correctly and not damaging anything underneath lol

What's the forum thoughts on a ground anchor in a van ? somewhat silly ? excessive ? or "yeah go for it".

I do have the option of returning it.
I wouldn't drill holes in a newish van floor, personally. a) not a great thing to do to the corrosion protection and b) what do you do when you sell it, leave 4 holes in the floor or just stick bolts in the holes? It wouldn't help sell it to me.

Edit: I assume that, given the job it does, it won't be easy to remove....
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I wouldn't be concerned about drilling holes in the van floor, most ply kits just self tap into the floor so lots of vans have loads of little holes (and you could just fill them with grommets if it was removed.

I'd be more worried about how easy it would be to just pull out, it's surprisingly thin the floor metal, unless it bolts to a chassis rail?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I suppose it is what people do with vans and I have a car mindset. I definitely wouldn't be taking a drill to a car floor, double skinned or not. Floor panel corrosion is probably not why most vans reach the end of the road either. I had to have a plate welded into the footwell in mine when it corroded. But that was mainly because it used to fill up with water when it rained. :lol:
Voltaire
crust

Post by crust »

I'd be fitting it to the partition.

Ok, you'd need a longer chain but no holes in the floor, you can see where the holes are going to come out and no-ones going to complain about holes in the lower part of the partition or just leave it there as a selling point.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

crust wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:55 am I'd be fitting it to the partition.

Ok, you'd need a longer chain but no holes in the floor, you can see where the holes are going to come out and no-ones going to complain about holes in the lower part of the partition or just leave it there as a selling point.
Not sure there's a long enough chain in the world lol. It'd need to be about 7' long....
crust

Post by crust »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:05 am

Not sure there's a long enough chain in the world lol. It'd need to be about 7' long....
How big are the wheels now? You running 129" wheels? From floor to frame is not much more than radius of wheel, from back of wheel to rear of chain stays is not much more than radius of wheel. Chain will be roughly same length whether it goes up and over or out and through.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:21 am But that was mainly because it used to fill up with water when it rained. :lol:
Feels like holes in the floor would help with that.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Are you likely to leave the bikes in the van for long enough unattended to warrant the faffing about with anchors and things?
I've never done that and my assumption would be that if someone is sufficiently tooled up to get into the van then they're probably going to quickly defeat any sort of bolt down device.

I'd maybe put a plate on the bulkhead with a loop (like a ground anchor I suppose but on the vertical sheet bulkhead) and then use a cable type lock to secure the bikes, it wouldn't stop a proper thief but it might stop a smackhead chancer if he did manage to get into the back.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:21 am
Count Steer wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:21 am But that was mainly because it used to fill up with water when it rained. :lol:
Feels like holes in the floor would help with that.
I took the rubber grommets out so it drained. :thumbup: I used to get in on wet mornings and have to roll my flares up. :lol:

(It was the windscreen that leaked, it then ran down into the footwell).
Voltaire
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yup fit it to the bulkhead, or don't tbh and just drill a couple of holes in the bulkhead a metre or so apart and get a long loop of steel wire and a padlock and run through all the frames/wheels. It'll be enough to stop most people, anyone that can defeat that is gonna take them anyway
Potter

Post by Potter »

Or get one of those devil dogs from the video and keep that in the back and keep it hungry :D

At some point you've got to hold your hands up and leave it to chance though, if someone wants it badly enough to get past what you've done so far then even if you catch them in the act they're probably just as happy to hold you at bay with a hammer whilst they take an extra minute to get through another chain.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The tie down points are pretty solid but not very big. I padlock a chain to the tie down point, run out through the bikes then a padlock at the other end. There's only so much you can do.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:02 pm Security installed today on the van... Happy :)

OK so you can still open it with a can opener :D but it's as secure as a van gets
Did you get someone else to do it? That's my job on Friday to install the locks on mine.