Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by ZRX61 »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:54 pm Depends on the drive I suppose. If I go to collect someone from my local airport it's a 40 minute drive, the T6 Kombi will do 60mpg on the way there. Uphill on the way back it's high 20's.
My ZRX11 gets 45mpg Mon-Fri, on Sundays it gets about 32mpg... :)
Yambo

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Yambo »

asmethurst99 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:42 pm Drove a Leaf today - has automatic braking collision avoidance v weird

I'm sure that's a wonderful thing - until it has to choose what collision is going to be worse when it's not a straight forward incident. If it's an AI system will it opt for self preservation?

If its collision avoidance results in high G forces on the occupants, who do you claim whiplash injuries compensation from?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

How does a human driver choose?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

asmethurst99 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:42 pm Drove a Leaf today - has automatic braking collision avoidance v weird
Prefer the BMW
How did you trigger the collision avoidance?

(I've done it once on our car - made a dive for a parking space in a v full hospital car park...at the same time someone else did :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My last three cars have had it...I triggered it in the previous 2 by approaching a car park barrier. I think the reflective tape on said barrier made it appear closer than it really was.

My current one seems a bit more "modulated". It gives you a heads up that things are getting close, I've not left it long enough to actually trigger the e stop yet.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:41 am How does a human driver choose?

Just like you, I can't answer that as I don't know the specifics of the incident or the mindset of the vehicle driver. It would be stupid to assume otherwise. A traffic accident (or whatever you want to call it) is a rare, random, multi factor event so you're going to have to give me a lot more information.

If avoiding a collision with another motor vehicle could result in a collision with a cyclist or pedestrian (or vice versa) would the collision avoidance system act the same as a human?

I've investigated enough traffic accidents to be pretty sure that programming a collision avoidance system is going to be a rudimentary effort that won't have been carried out by accident investigators.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:11 am
I've investigated enough traffic accidents to be pretty sure that programming a collision avoidance system is going to be a rudimentary effort that won't have been carried out by accident investigators.
If it's AEB - automated emergency braking - then it will first beep to attract your attention, then apply the brakes. Not 'avoidance'.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:52 am
Yambo wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:11 am
If it's AEB - automated emergency braking - then it will first beep to attract your attention, then apply the brakes. Not 'avoidance'.
'tis true, it's a pure "STTTOOOOPP!" system at the moment.

I doubt it'll stay that way forever. Well, it's not staying that way is it? Lots of cars automatically try and keep you between the white lines don't they? Some are already homologated for (limited) self driving....
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

2:30 in...

I love that shit, mine often beeps at me on a downhill right hander where a car parks on the pavement at the turn in point. I've not had it actually brake on me yet.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My car is also meant to have a system where it theatre spotlights the pedestrian you're about to hit using the headlights. Just so you can really surprise 'em, then crash into them.

Sadly because of UK law regarding 'non constant' headlights the system is deactivated in this country :(
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:55 am
Prefer the BMW
How did you trigger the collision avoidance?

(I've done it once on our car - made a dive for a parking space in a v full hospital car park...at the same time someone else did :lol: ).
Electric bike food delivery Hobbit shot across the road at 45 degrees to me and the car gently started braking(is this collision avoidance ?) - he was holding back anyway but came close - my foot was on the brake but he slowed until he saw i was slowing - I was doing 19 mph - 20 limit in Canning Town.
He shot off doing at least 25 mph as I kept to the limit
Horse

Post by Horse »

I managed to blag a few minutes on this scooter, to have a try of the early prototype radar operated braking.

Warning
Viewer discretion advised for boredom
(I'm not going to watch to see where the braking is demo'd)

The test area was a bit decrepit, the radar would randomly trigger on grass or stones.

When working against an obstacle, it braked too little too late.

But it was a test mule, nowhere near intended for production.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:37 pm
Pirahna wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:45 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:26 pm

Or fit IC engines designed and built in the 21st century, jesus, I got 60mpg today without trying in an 11 year old diesel

Edit: and it's only a proposal and they'd have until 2032 to implement it.
If that's 58 US mpg then it's 70 Imperial mpg.
I'm aware, so more than achievable in a car of today let alone giving them the best part of a decade to innovate, sheesh can put a man on the moon put can't build an efficient ICE
As you pointed out,we did have them. Most early TDis were 65+mpg. My old Megane 1.5 tdi was returning over 70mpg when driving through France on open roads. My WIfes Mini Cooper SD is lucky to see 40mpg!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My two ton, 5m long, 2.0l automatic diesel is averaging just over 50. My commute is usually 51 to work and 52/3 back.

It's nipping to the shops that drags it down.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230809-130245.png
Screenshot_20230809-130245.png (310.51 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:04 pm It's nipping to the shops that drags it down.
Which is why hybrids are a good idea!

Plug in hybrid would be perfect for me (assuming I'm not including full EV in this consideration). Leccy motor for shop nippage, 60-70mpg for long range stuff.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:52 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:04 pm It's nipping to the shops that drags it down.
Which is why hybrids are a good idea!

Plug in hybrid would be perfect for me (assuming I'm not including full EV in this consideration). Leccy motor for shop nippage, 60-70mpg for long range stuff.
I looked at the 530e, 20 odd miles on leccy alone.... When new and the weather is warm. The 3-4 year old ones I was looking at had a dramatically lower range than when they were new.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I either send the wife, or child or walk, doesn't have any impact on my fuel usage :shhh:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Brilliant!! When the Califailure power grid doesn't have enough capacity they're going to take power from your EV batteries... So if you have a full battery charge & your neighbor needs to charge his EV, they will basically just charge it from your EV...

https://climatechangedispatch.com/calif ... -its-grid/
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:44 pm Brilliant!! When the Califailure power grid doesn't have enough capacity they're going to take power from your EV batteries... So if you have a full battery charge & your neighbor needs to charge his EV, they will basically just charge it from your EV...

Vehicle to Infrastructure (V2I) has been part of the plans for years. Why build extra infrastructure to store electricity when it's already connected?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:49 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:44 pm Brilliant!! When the Califailure power grid doesn't have enough capacity they're going to take power from your EV batteries... So if you have a full battery charge & your neighbor needs to charge his EV, they will basically just charge it from your EV...

Vehicle to Infrastructure (V2I) has been part of the plans for years. Why build extra infrastructure to store electricity when it's already connected?
Because it doesn't create any generating capacity & what they pay for *my* electricity is a fraction of what I pay for theirs.. so I pay (ferinstance) $1.00 Kw/Hr to charge my car & then they pay 10c Kw/hr to drain the battery.