Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by ZRX61 »

Biden Accelerating His EV Fantasy By Forcing The Sale Of Unwanted Cars:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/biden ... nted-cars/

Ford made some 46,000 Mach-E electric SUVs in the first half of the year, around 32,000 of which hadn’t sold.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:37 pm Biden Accelerating His EV Fantasy By Forcing The Sale Of Unwanted Cars:

https://climatechangedispatch.com/biden ... nted-cars/

Ford made some 46,000 Mach-E electric SUVs in the first half of the year, around 32,000 of which hadn’t sold.
I opened that to see if it was a complete load of nonsense, guess what, I was right
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I always enjoy arguments like this one...

10 million more tons of copper each year.

Anyone like to guess how many tonnes of oil and coal are mined every year? :lol: I'll give you a clue, it's got more than one zero more than that figure ^. :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:44 pm I opened that to see if it was a complete load of nonsense, guess what, I was right
Even after Piranha cited that website?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:17 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:44 pm I opened that to see if it was a complete load of nonsense, guess what, I was right
Even after Piranha cited that website?
It was worse than a local newspaper website, side links, adverts "have you seen how XYZ looks now", etc etc... just random bollox with clickbait bullshit written to try and get people to read in horror. It's basically all that's shite about the internet in one quick website. There may or may not be a few bits in there that are actually true and useful, picking them out though, that's anyones guess.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:47 pm I always enjoy arguments like this one...

10 million more tons of copper each year.

Anyone like to guess how many tonnes of oil and coal are mined every year? :lol: I'll give you a clue, it's got more than one zero more than that figure ^. :D
I was pondering this over breakfast and I was wondering how this mooted 10 million tonnes of copper compares just to US petrol consumption, leave alone total fossil fuel use.

For comparison like...the US alone consumes just over 1 million tonnes of petrol per day. That's just the US and just petrol in just one day. To make that million tonnes of petrol you would have to mine more a lot more than a million tonnes of crude oil. Funny how no-one calls digging oil up out of the ground "mining" though right?

Yet somehow the need to source 10 million tonnes of copper per year, which can also be recycled/reused unlike petrol, is a complete show stopper. :lol: :hmmm:
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:09 am Yet somehow the need to source 10 million tonnes of copper per year, which can also be recycled/reused unlike petrol, is a complete show stopper. :lol: :hmmm:
In the USA alone something like 60% of all copper feedstock into the mills is recycled. 3rd most recycled metal after iron and aluminium. 8.7 million tonnes a year recycled globally pa. There's 200+ years worth of it in the ground.

Comparing it to 'digging up' and burning oil is simply :wtf: (Which is par for the course for the world's most unreadable web site. If you could run cars on bullshit it would power a G7 nation).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:56 am It was worse than a local newspaper website, side links, adverts "have you seen how XYZ looks now", etc etc... just random bollox with clickbait bullshit written to try and get people to read in horror. It's basically all that's shite about the internet in one quick website. There may or may not be a few bits in there that are actually true and useful, picking them out though, that's anyones guess.
Takes but a moment to scroll down & click the link to the original story:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... c-car-fad/
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:51 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:56 am It was worse than a local newspaper website, side links, adverts "have you seen how XYZ looks now", etc etc... just random bollox with clickbait bullshit written to try and get people to read in horror. It's basically all that's shite about the internet in one quick website. There may or may not be a few bits in there that are actually true and useful, picking them out though, that's anyones guess.
Takes but a moment to scroll down & click the link to the original story:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... c-car-fad/
That's an even worse website... no wonder i don't look at the news. Are people really OK with sites like this ?

Imagine the income i could generate if i turn this place into an advert fest :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The Washington Times (subtly named but not the Washington Post). Founded by Sun Myung Moon of the Unification Church, currently owned by a financial arm of the Unification Church is, and always has been, a right wing political mouthpiece. Don't expect to find deep thought pieces or a lot of verifiable facts between all those adverts. It's just another agenda driven, mind-melting, alternative facts echo chamber like the climatethingy links.
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

US electric bus manufacturer Protera just went tits up. I guess Biden praising them didn't help matters.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

The National Highway Safety Administration’s July 28 proposal would raise the mandatory average fuel economy target for automakers to an improbable 58 miles per gallon, essentially forcing Ford, Toyota and Kia to sell more electric cars,
Or fit IC engines designed and built in the 21st century, jesus, I got 60mpg today without trying in an 11 year old diesel

Edit: and it's only a proposal and they'd have until 2032 to implement it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Old news over here in the modern world anyway, manufactuers have fleet wide CO2 emission limits for ages.

Unless you're VW or similar of course ;)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:26 pm
The National Highway Safety Administration’s July 28 proposal would raise the mandatory average fuel economy target for automakers to an improbable 58 miles per gallon, essentially forcing Ford, Toyota and Kia to sell more electric cars,
Or fit IC engines designed and built in the 21st century, jesus, I got 60mpg today without trying in an 11 year old diesel

If that's 58 US mpg then it's 70 Imperial mpg.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I get an average of 70mpg, ~500 miles from a ~£35 tankful from t'hybrid. :thumbup:

(<35mpg, from the t'not hybrid :( )

70mpg from everything seems a bit of a stretch target though.
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:45 pm If that's 58 US mpg then it's 70 Imperial mpg.
Apparently my dad's chipped TDI Focus can get 70mpg (UK)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bit of reading on how it works in Europe, the targets are comparable to those being proposed in the US.

https://theicct.org/publication/eu-co2- ... ans-may23/

Gotta love a "flexible compliance mechanism" though :lol:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Pirahna wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:45 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:26 pm

If that's 58 US mpg then it's 70 Imperial mpg.
I'm aware, so more than achievable in a car of today let alone giving them the best part of a decade to innovate, sheesh can put a man on the moon put can't build an efficient ICE
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:03 pm
Pirahna wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:45 pm If that's 58 US mpg then it's 70 Imperial mpg.
Apparently my dad's chipped TDI Focus can get 70mpg (UK)
Depends on the drive I suppose. If I go to collect someone from my local airport it's a 40 minute drive, the T6 Kombi will do 60mpg on the way there. Uphill on the way back it's high 20's.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Drove a Leaf today - has automatic braking collision avoidance v weird
Prefer the BMW