Inflation

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: Inflation

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:00 pm Drink it if you wish, but petrol, per litre. Significantly less than it was 2 days ago.
Wow. One hundred and fifty eight quid per litre. Wow ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

I filled the bike tank with full fat superunleaded today.It may be my imagination,but the bike feels sharper than with cooking E5. £1.72 per litre. 10p dearer than regular.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Felix

Post by Felix »

Skub wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 pm I filled the bike tank with full fat superunleaded today.It may be my imagination,but the bike feels sharper than with cooking E5. £1.72 per litre. 10p dearer than regular.
Wifes little VW is like that. Runs like shit on poor mans fuel and its like its hunting when idling. All gone when you fill up with super.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Felix wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:14 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 pm I filled the bike tank with full fat superunleaded today.It may be my imagination,but the bike feels sharper than with cooking E5. £1.72 per litre. 10p dearer than regular.
Wifes little VW is like that. Runs like shit on poor mans fuel and its like its hunting when idling. All gone when you fill up with super.
Wife's previous car struggled through the emissions test one MoT, put a few tanks of Super through it and it passed with flying colours the next time. My car feels a bit sluggish on cooking petrol.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:31 am Some interesting stuff on the wireless this morning re the inflationary impact of VAT. Every time something goes up the tax amplifies the inflationary impact. No talk of reducing it back to 15% though. :(

I see that he's taken 5p off fuel duty (the rest still gets VAT added in top and onto the price/litre increase). It would have been nice if he'd lowered the VAT instead if tackling inflation is really the target.
Bear in mind it’s only the consumer that pays vat. The businesses that produce or supply the goods get the vat back (or technically only pay vat on profit).

Plus I’m not sure the maths of that stack up anyway…..

If something costs £10 inc vat then the ex vat cost is £8.33. If inflation hits the ex vat cost @ 10% then that makes that £9.17. Add the vat back to that gives £11.00, still a 10% increase on the vat inc price.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Asian Boss wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:49 pm
Greenman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:41 am
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:01 pm

Finishing your day knowing you could have done better.

For me it's not trying to push past what I previously did.
If I go running I try and beat yesterdays time, in my job I try and be better than I was yesterday, if I have a quid in my hand today then I want one pound fifty tomorrow.

I can live with failing sometimes, but not trying is mediocrity.
TBH Iccy, the ability to just say 'ahh fuck it' sometimes might do your mental health the world of good.

I used to be like you. I used to be 100mph all the time and used to get so angry when others we're not doing the same. But i then discovered that the world is just full or corruption and shit so decided there was no point, no point in my working my socks off for someone who quite likely doesn't give a shit about my productivity, the person in the other office having 2 hour dinners and working at 30% productivity will be valued just the same as you working at a higher level...IME.

Truth is, some people just want an easy life, or a simple life away from the pace of normal life. This is not failure, this is not avoiding trying your hardest, it's just being the person you want to be and not the person society wants you to be.
The way I see it is the earth turns on its axis, one man struggles while another relaxes.
I've seen Horace Andy sing over that Massive Attack track live here in Bristol.....:)...was epic
Felix

Post by Felix »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:25 pm
Wife's previous car struggled through the emissions test one MoT, put a few tanks of Super through it and it passed with flying colours the next time. My car feels a bit sluggish on cooking petrol.
Wifes failed on last emissions. Garage phoned to ask about the fuel as he blames E10 what we were using. He asked if it was OK to put a cleaner in and get his grease monkey to rag it round the back roads to help clear it what i said yes. Hour later we had a pass s its been on super since (Or whatever Tesco call it)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:36 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:31 am Some interesting stuff on the wireless this morning re the inflationary impact of VAT. Every time something goes up the tax amplifies the inflationary impact. No talk of reducing it back to 15% though. :(

I see that he's taken 5p off fuel duty (the rest still gets VAT added in top and onto the price/litre increase). It would have been nice if he'd lowered the VAT instead if tackling inflation is really the target.
Bear in mind it’s only the consumer that pays vat. The businesses that produce or supply the goods get the vat back (or technically only pay vat on profit).

Plus I’m not sure the maths of that stack up anyway…..

If something costs £10 inc vat then the ex vat cost is £8.33. If inflation hits the ex vat cost @ 10% then that makes that £9.17. Add the vat back to that gives £11.00, still a 10% increase on the vat inc price.
I was probably fixating on the tax angle too much. If, say a litre was 50p and fuel levy 50p and VAT 20% ie £1.20/l - it ends up as 58.3% of what you pay is tax. If you cut the levy 5p ie 10% the final tax is 54% ie a 4.3% drop but it IS better than taking 5p off the pump price.

Must work harder at maffs. :D

I guess I just object to putting a Value Added Tax...on a tax.
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 pm
I was probably fixating on the tax angle too much. If, say a litre was 50p and fuel levy 50p and VAT 20% ie £1.20/l - it ends up as 58.3% of what you pay is tax. If you cut the levy 5p ie 10% the final tax is 54% ie a 4.3% drop but it IS better than taking 5p off the pump price.

Must work harder at maffs. :D

I guess I just object to putting a Value Added Tax...on a tax.
Yep. And I think you’re correct on an earlier post - it’s fuel cost (both road transport and heating) that is driving the vast majority of inflation. Shipping costs from China and the missing cheap labour since brexit are other big factors. Add Chinese production issues due to Covid limiting supply and we have the perfect storm.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

I say shut this thread down.

My pool is warmer than your pool.

I’ve got this and I’ve got that.

Many people have nothing.

If you have dosh, don’t flaunt it. Don’t brag about it

My watch is bigger than your watch.

Weeksy...... this thread needs sorting
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Wscad wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:58 pm I say shut this thread down.

There are far worse ming mong ping pong threads.
I take all replies here as tongue in cheek.

And my pool was 23c this morning :)
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

I take on board what you have said Yorick.

I just don’t think people should be saying I’ve got this and that on this forum
Felix

Post by Felix »

I have a ThunderRat in the back garden collecting rust
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

You may or not know I lived and worked for more than ten years in china. My wife is chinese. We met, fell in love.

My wife’s parents where not too happy for her daughter to be married to a gualiio so I had to go up to Shanghai for a interview with the family to see if I was suitable I passed the test, provided I paid for my wife to get a degree in the uk, which I did.

We got married in the uk. At that time my sister was the top dog of birth deaths and marriages on the isle of white, so my sister performed the wedding do.

If anyone knows about Hong Kong , my wife’s family owns and developed discovery bay. I had no idea about this and I don’t know why I put this post up
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Wscad wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:58 pm I say shut this thread down.

We were back to talking about inflation (hurrah!)...until the thread got derailed again.....if you don't want to discuss inflation why derail it or ask for it to be closed?
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:00 am

Why ask for it to be closed?
I read it as a series of 'quotes'.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:06 am
Count Steer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:00 am

Why ask for it to be closed?
I read it as a series of 'quotes'.
Previous post said shut it down. So 1 post - shut it down, 1 post - sort it, 1 post - a potted biography. :eh:

Anyway. Larry Fynk, the boss of Blackrock, the world's largest asset management company says that the impact of the war will be a retrenchment by countries to become more self sufficient and less dependent on others, so it looks like globalisation is going in reverse. We could see a range of inflation rates across countries that have generally been pretty uniform.

If you have natural resources, low imported food levels, local access to oil and a decent industrial sector things may be peachy. If you're dependent on exporting some things that countries can supply themselves with, not so peachy perhaps. It will be interesting to see how uniform the EU states remain.

We'll crank up activity in the North Sea obvs (hopefully not losing control of it like we did by selling it off to foreign interests) but I wonder if agriculture and manufacturing is going to be given a big boost? Job creation would nice...proper jobs, not box shifting.

Interesting times.
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:29 am

Previous post said shut it down. So 1 post - shut it down, 1 post - sort it, 1 post - a potted biography. :eh:

Anyway. Larry Fynk, the boss of Blackrock, the world's largest asset management company says that the impact of the war will be a retrenchment by countries to become more self sufficient and less dependent on others, so it looks like globalisation is going in reverse. We could see a range of inflation rates across countries that have generally been pretty uniform.

If you have natural resources, low imported food levels, local access to oil and a decent industrial sector things may be peachy. If you're dependent on exporting some things that countries can supply themselves with, not so peachy perhaps. It will be interesting to see how uniform the EU states remain.

We'll crank up activity in the North Sea obvs (hopefully not losing control of it like we did by selling it off to foreign interests) but I wonder if agriculture and manufacturing is going to be given a big boost? Job creation would nice...proper jobs, not box shifting.

Interesting times.
And perhaps is the sensible way to go - with less environmental impact. The Covid pandemic certainly hinted at why "buy local" was a good idea. TBH most countries are perfectly able to grow enough food for their populations ( in the West).
Our issue has been the proliferation of "choice" driven by supermarket profit lines to bring us avocados and courgettes all year round.
It's about time we embraced "seasonal" again.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wscad wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:58 pm

In simple terms, there's a report function on every post in every part of the forum.

If enough people report a thread me or one of the mods will action it

I read some posts but not all. In threads like this I may read it once every 2-3 days and only the last couple of posts.

Until a thread is reported, there's nothing to action.

It's your job as much as mine guys.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:21 am
Count Steer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:29 am

Interesting times.
And perhaps is the sensible way to go - with less environmental impact. The Covid pandemic certainly hinted at why "buy local" was a good idea. TBH most countries are perfectly able to grow enough food for their populations ( in the West).
Our issue has been the proliferation of "choice" driven by supermarket profit lines to bring us avocados and courgettes all year round.
It's about time we embraced "seasonal" again.
Grow local is fine if there are people willing to pick local, and we've seen the issue there. Inflation has been managed in part by exporting labour requirements to low cost locations, so a return to home country manufacturing will put an immediate upward pressure on prices, and then on wages, and then again on prices.