What bike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Re: What bike?

Post by KungFooBob »

If it does all fall through, then I might make a below starting price offer on this (it ends in a day and has no bids).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234049471706
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:18 pm If it does all fall through, then I might make a below starting price offer on this (it ends in a day and has no bids).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234049471706
Don't do it. Get deposit back and get the gsxr youwant when the next one comes up
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

There are plenty of 11s on flea bay
Honda Owner
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:57 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:43 pm A very sensibly priced GSXR1100L street fighter just came up on the Butchered Classics Facebook page, must resist buying another old bike that I don't need.
If I wanted it I wouldn't hesitate, if it's cheap then it'll sell equally as easily once you've scratched the itch.
If I was in the UK I'd have a new bike like that every week until I got tired with the sales process and the clowns that accompany it.
I've got tired of the sales process and clowns but it was fun :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Apparently the parts are all there and it's next on the workshop list to be done.

Yeah right, strange coincidence the parts arrive as soon as I kick up a fuss.

With a bit of luck I might have a bike next week.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Great News. So we can get back to taking the piss yeah.

Ritebike mechanics earlier...

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'd not go for that Aprilia if I were you. You seemed proper chuffed when you found the GSXR and you've waited this long...

Obligatory piss take meme

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My thoughts are...

1. All is good, the parts have just landed and its all going to be fine.

2. The parts came ages ago and they're slack bastards.

3. The parts haven't arrived, so rather than lose a sale they're going to send it out without them. They originally said it was carb parts they were waiting for, today he said it was rear calliper seals. I could get a set of rear calliper seals next day if I needed them, so why has it taken them 4 weeks?
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Because ritebike, as the retail arm of webuyanybike they only wanna buy cheap sell cheap and do nothing more than that. Get deposit back and move on. As a bonus you won’t have to ride the 1100 👍🤣
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The thing is, the bike itself is immaculate. It's probably in better (cosmetic) condition than when it left the factory.

They seem to be going out of their way to find problems with it to fix. Normally a dealer would punt it out and hope for the best that you wouldn't bring it back.

It's nice that they're replacing all the calliper seals, but I've owned loads of old shitter and they've never needed them.

A private one in the same colours has just been listed on Friendface for £2k less, but it's got double the miles and looks well worn (missing decals, etc..).

I'm certainly not going to transfer the funds until I've seen it in the flesh running... without fluids pissing out of it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

It could only really be three things, either they were/are genuinely waiting for parts, or they're lazy, or they think they could get more for it so they're holding it back hoping you pull out and they can sell it on.

If they're a buy 'em cheap and sell 'em on outfit then they'll want to move stock quickly, so it wouldn't make sense for them to hold stock and wait for payment. It might genuinely be that they don't want any comebacks so they're trying to send it out in a condition where it lasts for any kind of warranty period.

It's an old bike and it's been standing, for possibly long periods, so maybe they test rode it and some of the perishable seals shat themselves and now they can't send it out like that until they've replaced them because it's dangerous.

Any old, low mileage bike is going to keep hitting you with stuff like that, rubbers and seals will perish, the carbs will gum up if you don't use it, etc.
Le_Fromage_Grande

What Potter said is true, old bikes that don't get used regularly can be an utter pain, in some ways you're better off with a high mileage bike that's been ridden, nothing seizes up, and if it does it gets fixed.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:29 am What Potter said is true, old bikes that don't get used regularly can be an utter pain, in some ways you're better off with a high mileage bike that's been ridden, nothing seizes up, and if it does it gets fixed.
Or a nice modern one that just works
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 am Or a nice modern one that just works
Where's the fun in that?
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:29 am What Potter said is true, old bikes that don't get used regularly can be an utter pain, in some ways you're better off with a high mileage bike that's been ridden, nothing seizes up, and if it does it gets fixed.
Or a nice modern one that just works
If someone were to make a new bike I wanted to buy them I'd buy one, but with what's currently available new I feel like I'd be buying a new bike just to say I've got a new bike, though nothing has grabbed me like that since the 1998 R1
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:04 am
weeksy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:52 am Or a nice modern one that just works
Where's the fun in that?
1. It arrives
2. It goes and stops when you want it to

Where's the fun in getting frustrated because the bike you want isn't here because it's broken before it even arrived
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm knew it was broken, that doesn't frustrate me. The time it's taken for the parts and the coms from the dealer frustrate me.

Dealers can be frustrating, even on brand new bikes :)

I almost hope it has some small issues, because I like tinkering in the garage.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

inewham wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:44 am
KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:06 am I almost hope it has some small issues, because I like tinkering in the garage.
So tell them knock a couple of hundred quid off and you'll take it as-is, now ?
Give them an excuse to sell it as spare and repairs without 3 months warranty?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:55 pm The thing is, the bike itself is immaculate. It's probably in better (cosmetic) condition than when it left the factory.

They seem to be going out of their way to find problems with it to fix. Normally a dealer would punt it out and hope for the best that you wouldn't bring it back.

It's nice that they're replacing all the calliper seals, but I've owned loads of old shitter and they've never needed them.

A private one in the same colours has just been listed on Friendface for £2k less, but it's got double the miles and looks well worn (missing decals, etc..).

I'm certainly not going to transfer the funds until I've seen it in the flesh running... without fluids pissing out of it.
I still think you should wait it out. You wanted one of these and this was the best you found. Once you've finally got it home, the wait will soon be a distant memory and you've years ahead with it.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Well the fuckers said on Friday that all the parts were in and it was next on the ramp.

Heard nothing this week so far.

If they've not rung by Friday I'm buying a convertible and a comfort seat for the Enfield.