Pfizer vaccine approved

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Pfizer vaccine approved

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:59 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:48 am Threads been going on long enough that Iccy's bait bucket is empty :(
Covid and the vaccine has been selling news to the masses based on it being the worlds biggest issue but for most of the world it's way down the list of stuff that is going to ruin their day.
Now that I agree with.

I just think you're (deliberately ;)) overlooking the fact that most of those things are already being addressed many times over.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 am
I'm honestly struggling to see where he's going about with all this.

Moaning about political threads and then basically trying to be as argumentative as possible as soon as the next one comes along...

Consider me completely bemused.
I thought it was simple, I'm simply trying to make people realise that forcing parents to inject their children with things that they don't want to isn't right. In order to make the point I had to remind some people that covid really isn't the biggest killer by a long way, every day perfectly legal things trump it by miles.

Remember on VD when I was an equally annoying person when the argument came in favour of euthanising disabled babies.
Sometimes it's worth making a point.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:05 pm
Remember on VD when I was an equally annoying person when the argument came in favour of euthanising disabled babies.
Sometimes it's worth making a point.
Nope, i don't recall.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:39 am Scary stuff eh.

Even with all those decades of information that smoking can lead to horrible disease and death, and all the effort, they've only cut the amount of people that smoke by a small percentage.

But you're arguing they shouldn't enforce vaccination - so presumably you support them not banning smoking? People's inability to limit damaging their own health supports the point in favour.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:17 pm
But you're arguing they shouldn't enforce vaccination - so presumably you support them not banning smoking? People's inability to limit damaging their own health supports the point in favour.
Agreed.

But if we're doing enforcement then I'd choose to ban smoking and alcohol before covid.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:13 pm
Nope, i don't recall.

If me suggesting that politics and religion shouldn't be given a forum means I can't argue my point on any other subject then you only have to say and I'll stay out of this section as well.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:19 pm
slowsider wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:17 pm
Agreed.

But if we're doing enforcement then I'd choose to ban smoking and alcohol before covid.
The difference is, that both of them were a choice. Covid isn't and never has been and never arguably will be. Both drinking and smoking, someone at some stage has chosen to both partake and continue to do so.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:21 pm
weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:13 pm
Nope, i don't recall.

If me suggesting that politics and religion shouldn't be given a forum means I can't argue my point on any other subject then you only have to say and I'll stay out of this section as well.
Argue your point all you like, just don't expect people not to pull you up on it when you're doing basically the same thing as you accused others of doing.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:23 pm
The difference is, that both of them were a choice. Covid isn't and never has been and never arguably will be. Both drinking and smoking, someone at some stage has chosen to both partake and continue to do so.
I'm being careful now because I don't know where this is going, but if you think alcohol and smoking only affect the people choosing to do it then you're being a bit blinkered.
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

I get that you’re playing devils advocate but maybe not everyone’s quite as poorly informed as you seem to be suggesting, putting yourself in the self-appointed position of educator to the thickies is only going to further polarise the debate IMO

Also, as soon as smoking and alcoholism are contagious I’ll be the first to agree they should be targeted with the same level of zeal
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:24 pm I'm being careful now
Don't be, you crack on. :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Argue your point all you like, just don't expect people not to pull you up on it when you're doing basically the same thing as you accused others of doing.
I'm engaged in the debate and I assumed the others were as well.
If I'm being reported for it then as I said let me know and I'll drop it.

I keep getting accused of trolling but I've not made anything up at all, I didn't have a problem with the general news bit of the other section, just the politics that seemed to lead to a lot of bad feeling. I don't see it here, but like I said, if I'm pissing people off then it only needs a nod and I'll wind it in.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:28 pm
I'm engaged in the debate and I assumed the others were as well.
If I'm being reported for it then as I said let me know and I'll drop it.

I keep getting accused of trolling but I've not made anything up at all, I didn't have a problem with the general news bit of the other section, just the politics that seemed to lead to a lot of bad feeling. I don't see it here, but like I said, if I'm pissing people off then it only needs a nod and I'll wind it in.
No-one said you were being reported fella. You just seem to be trying to cause an argument. I'd expect the only one you're irritating here is me, but that's mostly because i'm sadly having to enter a thread i'd rather not bother with just in case it all gets a bit ranty...

Arguably better if i stay out of it and only open if someone reports anything :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nidge wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:24 pm I get that you’re playing devils advocate but maybe not everyone’s quite as poorly informed as you seem to be suggesting, putting yourself in the self-appointed position of educator to the thickies is only going to further polarise the debate IMO
Fair enough, point taken.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Nidge wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:24 pm I get that you’re playing devils advocate but maybe not everyone’s quite as poorly informed as you seem to be suggesting, putting yourself in the self-appointed position of educator to the thickies is only going to further polarise the debate IMO
Can you point out the thickies, just so we know ;)
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:30 pm
No-one said you were being reported fella. You just seem to be trying to cause an argument. I'd expect the only one you're irritating here is me, but that's mostly because i'm sadly having to enter a thread i'd rather not bother with just in case it all gets a bit ranty...
I'll give it a rest then, I was getting carried away, fair play, sorry mate, I don't need to be right on the internet bad enough that it's worth getting on your tits :)
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Harry wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:39 am Scary stuff eh.

Even with all those decades of information that smoking can lead to horrible disease and death, and all the effort, they've only cut the amount of people that smoke by a small percentage.

Alcohol abuse is still fat.

[Charlie Sheen on] ...winning... [Charlie Sheen off]

No need for covid vaccines if you're happy 'winning' with reductions of just a few percent.
86% of adults NOT smoking is a pretty good statistic ...especially when you look back a bit further ,

Number of adult smokers
The highest recorded level of smoking among men in Great Britain was 82% in 1948, of whom 65% smoked manufactured cigarettes. At that time, significant numbers of men smoked pipes or cigars as well as, or instead of, manufactured cigarettes. By contrast, women have tended to smoke only cigarettes. Smoking prevalence among women in 1948 was 41% and remained fairly constant until the early 1970’s, peaking at 45% in the mid 1960’s.1
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

[baits up fresh hook]

This is the same Harry, who is really pleased at the draconian measures in a certain country, because it means there is little in the way of things like muggings, robbery, drunkards etc

[/baits up fresh hook]

[Fresh cast]

Waits

[/end cast]

:think:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:37 pm
Can you point out the thickies, just so we know ;)
You know what they say: if you enter a room and can't spot the thicky in 10 seconds, you're it.
irie

Post by irie »

Nidge wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:58 am
Harry wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:11 pm It must be grim, sitting there quivering in your slippers about going down to the pub in case you bump into someone that hasn't been vaccinated :lol:
It’s nothing to do with that, it’s about a civic responsibility to protect others and remove the restrictions that are blighting so many lives which in turn are leading to other health crises.

My work brings me in to contact with leading vaccinologists, epidemiologists and immunologists- it’s not an exaggeration to say some of the are the world experts at the top of the field. One aspect of modelling that is studied is “vaccine confidence” which, sadly, is at an all time low in Spain and some other European countries. This is factored into the likely impact of vaccine roll out. Unfortunately the 95% efficacy rates claimed by Pfizer assume 100% uptake, which of course will never happen, but we need a high uptake to realise the full societal benefits
Indeed it is.
DT wrote: An IPSOS survey found that 46pc of the French will refuse a jab, compared to Spain (36pc), Italy (35pc), Germany (30pc) and the UK (21pc).
I think the above came from the below survey.

https://www.ipsos.com/en/global-attitud ... tober-2020
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno