What bike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
KungFooBob

Re: What bike?

Post by KungFooBob »

My mate had that vintage Z1000 as his long termer at PB/MCN.

I managed about a mile of the N85 on it before insisting on my Blade back, it just didn't handle at all.
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:15 pm My mate had that vintage Z1000 as his long termer at PB/MCN.

I managed about a mile of the N85 on it before insisting on my Blade back, it just didn't handle at all.
The early ones were quite twitchy,the poor suspension did nothing to help. A very common mod is a ZX6R front end transplant and a decent rear shock. Apparently they ride not bad then.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

So I've just called Riteback, They've had clutch slave cylinder seals and caliper seals delivered, but they're still waiting on some 'other' seals.

But I'm not to worry, because "every day the bike is going up in value".
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm So I've just called Riteback, They've had clutch slave cylinder seals and caliper seals delivered, but they're still waiting on some 'other' seals.

And they're probably not worried because if you pull out then they'll sell it easily to someone else.

That's one good thing about these 'classic' bikes, you might not always get the highest price you want but you'll never be stuck with it for long if you want to sell it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:32 pm So I've just called Riteback, They've had clutch slave cylinder seals and caliper seals delivered, but they're still waiting on some 'other' seals.

This won't shock you, but i'd have bailed weeks ago... i don't do waiting or patience myself.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:43 pm

This won't shock you, but i'd have bailed weeks ago... i don't do waiting or patience myself.
I would have bailed as well, if I buy a bike I want it as soon as possible.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yeah, but I've got two other bikes to ride and no others as good as that one have been listed anywhere.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:14 pm The reason I go running and swimming at 0530 every morning is because I was getting too fat and it's cheaper to lose weight than buy new bikes.
I'm same with leathers. January is mega diet to get back in the buggers.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:57 pm
I would have bailed as well, if I buy a bike I want it as soon as possible.
On any kind of new bike then yes, but with something like this you have to have patience or you'll drive yourself crackers. You're lucky with the valve/zed in that because there is quite a following most of everything is available, but with many older bikes anything not sitting on a shelf in the dealers could take months (or even years) to get.

In this case though I think I'd be pushing them a bit and setting a clear cut off, i.e. if it's not done and on my drive in July then I'd call it a day, because otherwise the crap weather will be here before the bike will and it'll be next year before it gets enjoyed properly.

Not to mention that's a lot of bike and it's old now, so that experience doesn't come for free, you won't be able to just fire it up next spring without doing some work on it, so you have to balance that with enough enjoyment over summer to make it worthwhile. My bikes piss me off sometimes, I don't get much time with them and I spend more time working on them than riding them, these things are not ride and forget bikes.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Th e bit about not being ride and forget is true, it's why I'm looking at newer bikes, I enjoy working on and riding my old bikes, but I'd also like to ride a bike without something minor going wrong, modified old bikes can be a pain.

Though I'm surprised that GSXR needed much, they're usually pretty good, but if it's been sat with fuel that's part ethanol in it, that will damage rubber parts. I only use super unleaded on my bikes now, and that's not guaranteed to be free of ethanol.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I knew from going to look at it that it needed tyres and that the hydraulic parts of the clutch had failed.

The brakes looked in very good condition to me, but hey if they want to spend money pitting it right that is fine with me.

Iit must have been stood a long time, looking at the MOT history the milages suggest it was only ridden to the test and back.

I'll give them another week before I start getting pissy.

I knew it was a four week wait just to get it into the workshop when I paid the deposit. Another week won't hurt.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:48 am Th e bit about not being ride and forget is true, it's why I'm looking at newer bikes...
IME anything that has spent a dozen winters riding or stored in the garage has the potential to start giving issues unless it's been maintained like a race bike. I wouldn't be buying a 10yr old bike and expecting it to be any more reliable than a 30yr old bike.

If I was going for reliability then I'd be buying something new with a manufacturers warranty so I could just pass it back to them if it has a problem.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pm Selling my FZR400RR if you want it, £1300 and it's yours.
You have PM...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:03 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pm Selling my FZR400RR if you want it, £1300 and it's yours.
You have PM...
I've replied
Honda Owner
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

It'll be reet. Unless is isn't. FWIW I think I spent the best part of four grand on silly, fucked XL200s. I still like them though.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Le_Fromage_Grande

A very sensibly priced GSXR1100L street fighter just came up on the Butchered Classics Facebook page, must resist buying another old bike that I don't need.
Honda Owner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Even though I have an Aprilia Falco and an RC24 VFR750 whenever a nice one pops up on FB or ebay, I stll have to restrain myself. Why is that?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:43 pm A very sensibly priced GSXR1100L street fighter just came up on the Butchered Classics Facebook page, must resist buying another old bike that I don't need.
If I wanted it I wouldn't hesitate, if it's cheap then it'll sell equally as easily once you've scratched the itch.
If I was in the UK I'd have a new bike like that every week until I got tired with the sales process and the clowns that accompany it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:57 am If I was in the UK I'd have a new bike like that every week until I got tired with the sales process and the clowns that accompany it.
Me too!

I've not bought a new bike in several years ;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Just got off the blower with a fella at Ritebike...

I've told them if the parts are going to take forever I want my deposit back.

I'm waiting for him to go visit the workshop, get an update and come back to me.

He did mention maybe looking at their website and selecting a different bike... and maybe getting me the deposit back.

I guess I'll sit and wait for his call.