What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Re: What bike are you thinking of buying next ? What's the shortlist ?

Post by Potter »

I'm really struggling to find anything that I'm desperate to buy.
I'd have a 916 to put in a glass cabinet to look at, if I had somewhere suitable to display it, but I wouldn't want to ride it.

Maybe it's the end for me. I'm happy with my old two strokes, classics and my RE.
I can't think of anything I'd rather ride.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 am So, as we're getting to the end of lockdown, who's thinking of changing their bike and to what ?
I am thinking of maybe riding mine this year ... :clap:
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

The only thing that's currently temping me is an 890R Duke
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:34 am The only thing that's currently temping me is an 890R Duke
I can understand that... There's deffo questions there.

Kestrel are throwing the track pack in for free if you ring and speak to Sam.

So i hear ;) :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Surprisingly enamoured with my current bike, so no plans to change in the foreseeable future. I did always plan to own a Africa Twin, but lost interest in those, so I suppose if I did have to replace the NCX it might be with one of these?

Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Nothing this year I suspect, but lots of looking at reviews of XSR/MT/Tracer 900s, Z900, GSXS, 790 Dukes. I think I've written off the latter just as I don't want another bike with any lingering doubts of reliability.

Gonna try and get test rides of Z9 and Tracer/XSR this year so as soon as I know money wise I can leap for the right bike. Also think I'll try the GSXS 750/1000 just to see, the the 750 is a bit too cheap looking (although gets rave reviews) and the thousand just too much power for the B roads I ride though.

If I get a chance I might also try a 1090, but think it's a bit big/tourer like for my normal riding.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tricky wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:34 am The only thing that's currently temping me is an 890R Duke
On paper they sound ace, but why oh why do they have to make them so ugly? That seagulls head and beak thing they do with the tank is horrible.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:29 pm
On paper they sound ace, but why oh why do they have to make them so ugly? That seagulls head and beak thing they do with the tank is horrible.
Yup, agree, I think they style their off-roaders well but wouldn't really call any road-based KTM good looking.
I can forgive it for the riding experience , and pretty or no, they definitely have a certain very recognizable style :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It is looking more and more likely that both Mrs. D and I will be WFH at least some/most of the time on a permanent basis. That means we will probably be a one car family in future. Since there will no longer be 'my car' and 'your car' but just 'the car' it means we both have more money to spend on whatever we like :D

So "whatever we like" in my context might look a lot like a bike. Man maths also suggests to me that I can spend more on a bike 'cause she doesn't have a bike licence - i.e. bike is my alternative transport but she always gets first dibs on the car.

I've been kicking around the idea of a new bike later this year anyway, I was gonna see how much I actually end up riding in 2021 before deciding. Likely candidate is gonna be ~100bhp and upright riding position, there are a few bikes I keep coming back to: Street Triple, R Nine T and CB1000R (I initially dismissed them, but having seen one in the flesh recently they're a lot more special than I thought).

However...something else cropped up in my mind the other day. R1200GS. I've wanted to do the GS thing off and on for years and if I'm getting a bike which is nominally 'proper transport' too....
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Get the Sprint ST MOT’d and sell it. Buy a Triumph Explorer. Loved the previous one, sold it to buy a Ducati which I never quite gelled with. Found a 2015, needs a tidy up, it’s the XC so a few extras but at a good price. Just awaiting a call back from the garage and I think it will be relocating to Northamptonshire.
Well, that’s the plan anyway!!
Mick
Druid

Post by Druid »

I'm pretty happy with the Monster tbh. I've had 5 different bikes in the last 6 years which is a lot for me, but I can't think of anything I'd rather have (that I can afford). I'll probably treat it to a suspension upgrade though.
Taff

Post by Taff »

I've been planning my next bike for about 2 years now. I've had my tiger since 2013 and it's done 60k miles commuting and the old girl is still trundling along nicely, but, it aint gonna last forever.

The Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT.
The AS model has a bigger fuel tank so I should get an extra day between fill ups, DCT because automatic gearboxes are ace, and paddle shift... :D

it has to be silver though

demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Can't see me buying another infernal contraption engined bike again really but as for changing my bikes?

I can see a bit of that in the future and I'm just getting a few bits together now to do some changes to one of em. Not entirely sure why I'm doing it cos its never gonna be a practical bike but I guess just cos I fancy a tinker about with it again.

Currently I guess I could make money if I flogged it but I never bought it as an investment anyway and there's no newer bikes I would want more yet.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

demographic wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:18 pm Can't see me buying another infernal contraption engined bike again really but as for changing my bikes?
This is part of the reason I'm hesitant to buy a new new bike. On paper I could just go to a dealer and buy a GS or whatever and then keep it to run into the ground....but part of me thinks I'd rather wait a few years and do that with a leccy bike instead.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:25 pm This is part of the reason I'm hesitant to buy a new new bike. On paper I could just go to a dealer and buy a GS or whatever and then keep it to run into the ground....but part of me thinks I'd rather wait a few years and do that with a leccy bike instead.
For a while the lecky bikes are too expensive for me but the bikes I have already seem to be gaining a bit.
That won't continue forever and eventually will plateau and possibly drop.
I really don't want to be adding loads of money to buy something else so I'll see how it goes.
I've never ever bought a bike as an investment though and to me that way lies sadbastardness. I've either bought them because I needed one or because I wanted it, Badly.

Having an electric van (and the ability to charge it) would be far and away more important to me as currently I seem to be doing about 20,000 miles a year in that. Mind, just working closer to home would be a good start as recently it seems the further away from home I work the worse the managers of the sites seem to be.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well it may sound a bit perverse.....hell it probably IS a bit perverse :D...but I want an electric bike because it'll be fun!

Bikes have always got to have some element of 'heart' to me, if it was purely a head decision I'd buy a super scoot and be done with it. Electric bikes are the ones which actually excite me.

Besides, I've always got the old Triumphs for when I want something with petrol fumed character.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I'm happy enough with my 675R Street Triple,however if we're ever allowed to travel again I'm looking for a used 650 V Strom or 500X Honda for a trip to the Nordkapp & some exploring on the TET.
I'll sell it when I get back & look for a 865 Bonnie or 650 Interceptor to join the Street Triple in the garage.
If I wasn't keeping the Street Triple I would be looking at one of the versions of the 660 Aprilia,Lamb Chop Rides did a review on the two versions last week,it's on YT.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Like Taff, I've got a high mileage Tiger, also trundling along with any Issues. I've also got he 1200 Monster which I love, but I'm thinking of swapping both for a Multistrada and maybe an entry level eMTB. That still leaves me with a Track Ducati to finish and a resto on the stock '94 900SS.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'm probably not going to buy any motorbikes this year, I've got two project bikes to fiddle with, a road legal bike and a track bike, and none of them really get used much, I'm more likely to spend money on either an Evo X or a full suspension eMTB.
Honda Owner
636mick

Post by 636mick »

636mick wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:50 pm Get the Sprint ST MOT’d and sell it. Buy a Triumph Explorer. Loved the previous one, sold it to buy a Ducati which I never quite gelled with. Found a 2015, needs a tidy up, it’s the XC so a few extras but at a good price. Just awaiting a call back from the garage and I think it will be relocating to Northamptonshire.
Well, that’s the plan anyway!!
Mick
So, it happened today. Bought the Explorer XC, 2015, 17.5k miles, all the toys. Bought it unseen but that’s not the first time, long chats with the garage so happy what will need tidying. Delivery sometime fairly soon as part of the deal.
Happy day.
Mick