Can you still put written off bikes back on the road?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Ditchfinder

Re: Can you still put written off bikes back on the road?

Post by Ditchfinder »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:25 pm
Ditchfinder wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 11:53 am Yup my Exeo got Cat N for a rear ender earlier this year.
passat/a4 (6) innit?
Old Audi A4 Avant but tailgate is different because of door latch.

Been a solid bus and is easy 55+mpg hammering the peage at 130km/h, Tank and a quarter from East Lancs to the Cantal :thumbup:

If there's any left in reasonable nick by the time this one dies I'll probably get another. Only thing that spoils it for me is rear seats don't fold flat.
'07 Griso 1100 (for sale), '94 Sprint 900, the scabbiest Himalayan in the country
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:27 pm Who determines these bikes can't go back on the road, considering I can build a bike with a frame lashed together in my shed and road register it.
Can you?

Don't you need an MoT or a single vehicle approval or something? I've never looked at what's allowed for bikes.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:06 pm
Don't you need an MoT or a single vehicle approval or something? I've never looked at what's allowed for bikes.
In theory if you have a frame with a VIN then you can do what you like. Old skool chopper shops would literally take the headstock and build a new frame around it. I've swapped engines into different frames in the Uk and you're supposed to notify DVLA as that ID also ends up on the V5 iirc, but at one point I did it often enough that I stopped bothering to tell them. Also in theory real bitsas are supposed to be scored by (major) part to determine whether the frame can retain it's registration or requires a Q-plate, but it's been forever since I've seen one of those (but then I haven't been to a chop show in ages either).
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's the same with classics. The bikes which are mostly likely to be falling apart lumps of crap are the ones which don't need MoTs or anything :lol:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

I thought that Cat A bikes had to have the headstock cut off so that they could not go back on the road?

My GSX-R was completely destroyed in an end-over-end crash, but was given a Cat B status. Maybe there were some parts the assessor thought could be sold on?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 2:06 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 12:27 pm Who determines these bikes can't go back on the road, considering I can build a bike with a frame lashed together in my shed and road register it.
Can you?

MOT but no type approval.
A lot of Harris and Spondons have the frame number from the donor bike, depends on your point of view, but from a safety perspective it isn't great

My much modified 1982 Kawasaki (which has about 120bhp) doesn't have to have any safety inspection.

BTW I have a Q reg 350 YPVS, it's Q reg because it's a 1983 race bike road registered in 1988, but I've also got a 1986 frame knocking about.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

'My' Bonneville has an old J plate (1970), a 1969 build date a 1973 year of first registration on the V5.

And no MoT.

Go figure :lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

A_morti wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 7:41 am If the frame is damaged in any way, especially if it's an aluminium frame, I would be surprised if it'll be categorised to be allowed back on the road.
Back in the early 90s I bought a ZZR1100 which had been crushed by a toppled artic and the bike's frame was broken at the welds on both sides. The ZZR was a big seller then,so I was just going to break the bike,scrap the frame and sell the engine etc. Before I had a chance I was offered a good price for the bike as it sat stripped down,but everything there.

The two guys who bought the bike had the frame jigged and welded,tuned the engine and put it back on the road. It was a seriously rapid bike,but around 120 it felt unstable and that's something a ZZR never was. I was glad to hand it back.

I don't know how they registered the bike for the road,but they certainly did.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

In my experience it seemed to be the assessor.

They put my GS as cat B when the only structural damage was a bent subframe which is an easy repair job.

Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve had another written of bike and especially in that case the assessor knew absolutely nothing about bikes. I suspect they are mostly experienced in cars and are just sent out to bikes because they are in the area.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I've read that a lot of vehicles are now getting classified by AI and not real people - shocking really.

A lot of categorised stuffing is now heading overseas where it's repaired and registered, then being exported again - get's around all but the most thorough condition checks. YouTube saddos (me!), check out Arthur Tussik - not unusual to see foreign registered cars going through his repair shop.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Scotsrich wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:39 am Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve had another written of bike and especially in that case the assessor knew absolutely nothing about bikes. I suspect they are mostly experienced in cars and are just sent out to bikes because they are in the area.
Same here. The assessor got out his car, said "It's not very nice is it?" (He was right!), got back in his car and drove off.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

v8-powered wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:55 am I've read that a lot of vehicles are now getting classified by AI and not real people - shocking really.
My son-in-laws not so very old Honda Civic was involved in a very light front quarter prang, and assessed by photos submitted to the AI assessor. Results returned almost immediately with a not economically repairable write-off decision and payout. The speed of decision must be hugely advantageous to reducing costs if you had to wait for the real live assessor to come round to shuffle papers and wave his clipboard at you.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Scotsrich wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2024 11:39 am In my experience it seemed to be the assessor.

They put my GS as cat B when the only structural damage was a bent subframe which is an easy repair job.

Maybe I’m wrong but I’ve had another written of bike and especially in that case the assessor knew absolutely nothing about bikes. I suspect they are mostly experienced in cars and are just sent out to bikes because they are in the area.
But how does it go from being an insurance write off to being not able to be on the road?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

If it's written off the DVLA are informed.

Iirc when's it's an N or S it's printed on any subsequent V5's.

Try taxing a vehicle that is registered with the DVLA as a cat A/B write off.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Buckaroo wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 11:16 pm Oooh, pray do tell!!
Same way as badly damaged cars have always gone back on the road, they ring them!