BBC Highway Code Quiz

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Hot_Air

Re: BBC Highway Code Quiz

Post by Hot_Air »

@chutzpah I expect we're essentially in agreement (barring minor semantics).
chutzpah wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:07 pm It's worth noting that in Bikeability primary is taught as the default position.
Not in my experience but perhaps the teaching varies slightly.

And in that thrilling page-turner, How to be a Better Cyclist, the IAM also advocates Secondary as the default position (with Primary for the usual circumstances to prevent close passes, etc).
chutzpah

Re: BBC Highway Code Quiz

Post by chutzpah »

John Franklin (the main author) is a vehicular cyclist, ie he has often argued against cycle paths claiming that they encourage incompetent cycling. But hey ho.

Here's a parent handbook on the Bikeability standard (the replacement for the cycling proficiency test) that is being taught to their kids so that they can support them post-training, see page 12

https://bikeability.org.uk/manage/wp-co ... ndbook.pdf

Just because you may end up using secondary the majority of the time (as most of us do) doesn't mean it's not 'default' :)

But, whatever, main thing is we should all feel safe whilst using the roads! I think reminding everyone that cyclists can be in a primary position and the reasons why is important to prevent the oft cited rant about "cyclists in the middle of the road"