How to deal with cyclists

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: How to deal with cyclists

Post by demographic »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:40 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:26 pm It's REALLY difficult to understand the frustration when you're a cyclist, i simply can't fathom it.
When you're A cyclist, it's fine, when your a family group, it's fine, when you're one of the local clubs time trailing or whatever you're all cuddly beary boos.

Although the 3 horse riders this morning take the biscuit for arrogant cunts, start of rush hour, not pulling over etc etc etc.
Cyclists doing time trials usually set off at minute intervals and aren't allowed to ride in groups.
Two up time trialists are in pairs and one is either in front, slipstreaming the one in front or passing ao the one in front gets a bit of a rest in the slipstream.

Are you saying they're hard to overtake?

Club runs on the other hand...
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

demographic wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:24 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:40 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:26 pm It's REALLY difficult to understand the frustration when you're a cyclist, i simply can't fathom it.
When you're A cyclist, it's fine, when your a family group, it's fine, when you're one of the local clubs time trailing or whatever you're all cuddly beary boos.

Although the 3 horse riders this morning take the biscuit for arrogant cunts, start of rush hour, not pulling over etc etc etc.
Cyclists doing time trials usually set off at minute intervals and aren't allowed to ride in groups.
Two up time trialists are in pairs and one is either in front, slipstreaming the one in front or passing ao the one in front gets a bit of a rest in the slipstream.

Are you saying they're hard to overtake?

Club runs on the other hand...
What they're actually doing I haven't a clue, time trialling, club riding, bob a jobbing, racing, it makes no never mind, when you come across groups of 5+ riders on rural roads yes they are a pain to overtake.
And when you get a procession of traffic trying to overtake at every opportunity it gets worse, and when the group or groups you've already overtaken catches up and under / overtakes you as you're stuck behind another group due to the road or hesitant drivers it takes all the will in the world not to open the car door.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:08 pm it takes all the will in the world not to open the car door.
Comments like this and the other bile on threads/internet confuse me, you do realise these are real people with jobs, wives, kids and you're saying it's taking all the will in the world not to injure them, put them in hospital, kill them ?
I don't think car drivers see cyclists as humans and don't see that there's a consequence to their actions potentially of life changing injuries just because they were held up for a few minutes.
Funny thing is, the car driver was likely only going home to sit on the sofa, rather than you know, something really important.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:36 am Comments like this and the other bile on threads/internet confuse me, you do realise these are real people with jobs, wives, kids and you're saying it's taking all the will in the world not to injure them, put them in hospital, kill them ?

I don't think car drivers see cyclists as humans and don't see that there's a consequence to their actions potentially of life changing injuries just because they were held up for a few minutes.

Funny thing is, the car driver was likely only going home to sit on the sofa, rather than you know, something really important.
I'll admit it's said half in jest, but fret not the other half of the sentiment isn't reserved just for fragile little lycra clad twats, it applies equally to all inconsiderate road users, the delivery driver blocking the road, horse riders, car drivers hogging the middle lane, those that stick to 40mph (how I'd love to give their back end a little tap and see them spin off into the central reservation, bouncing off in a fiery ball) etc etc, wagon drivers, travellers with their horse and buggy set up etc etc.

Regular road users with a modicum of common sense and courtesy, no matter what they ride or drive, get a free pass
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You've got issues big fella :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:36 am You've got issues big fella :D
I don't know. I think a lot of people have random thoughts like that - the difference between those people and actual maniacs (psychopaths?) is that they know that it's wrong to actually do it!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Good job I only have to drive 1 day a week init.
Although I do occasionally have to drive for the weekly shop, and those trips are a lot more chill, they're at the weekend when I've got nothing else to do or places to be
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:41 am
I don't know. I think a lot of people have random thoughts like that - the difference between those people and actual maniacs (psychopaths?) is that they know that it's wrong to actually do it!!

How to create an overtaking gap in a continuous chain of cyclists. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:08 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:41 am

How to create an overtaking gap in a continuous chain of cyclists. :D
For me it's much more about 'chatters' blocking the aisles in supermarkets! I hate shopping, I hate shopping whilst avoiding fuckwits more!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Have to admit that as a cyclist* I won't ride in groups on the road, far to many risky overtakes due to drivers frustration, bunch riding is fair enough but long strung out groups is just asking for problems. But as a car, lorry, bus, driver your number 1 priority should be not to kill or risk anyone else's lives so just chill out please - you are far more likely to be held up for extended periods by other drivers than occasional cyclists.

* I'm more cycle than motorcycle