What's your opinion...... (inheritance)

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Dodgy69

Re: What's your opinion...... (inheritance)

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yep...sell everything divide by 3. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Solution: Give the oldest the field and the middle and youngest the houses.

If the middle one wants the field, offer to swap it for the house. If they don't, put a pig farm on it. :lol:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

If it's what the middle sibling wants then go for it.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Jody wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:57 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:20 pm I doubt a 40k field can increase the value of an adjacent house by 300k, it will have agricultural use only which doesn't include extending gardens.
Or is it development potential and the existing house would become an access route for a large new estate?
I was shocked too, but apparently, house with a garden is great and all. A house with a field, thats a lifestyle, you could have horses and chickens and goats......
Sis-in-Law bought a run-down little house and converted it into a mansion.

They also bought the 5 acre field beside the stream.

And, when there was heavy rain, found out what a 'water meadow' is :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

As others have said, it’s the parents’ estate to leave however they wish. It’s not a case of being fair or unfair. It’s up to the executors to disperse the estate according to the will.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The parents should do what THEY think is fair. It is their money, to spend, or leave to whoever they want in whatever way they want, or to a cat charity if they wish.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

You can't please everyone. You can't be expected to know who is expecting to benefit from your estate, how they might react if they get more or less than they think is fair and how cunning and influential any spouse they might marry in the interim might be. If I "fell on hard times" would I expect to benefit more than "is fair" than my siblings who had done rather well? Maybe. It certainly happens quite a lot that way anyway.

Personally I've divvied mine up equally between children and stepchildren. I wouldn't want any of them to fell any less loved than the other. I can see why Jody's example using properties of approximately equal value makes sense though.

I know my missus was gutted when her father's estate went totally to his (newly wedded) wife, who then divvied up his property (passed down from -his- father's family) and family heirlooms between her own daughters. It still grates on her 30 years later that she and her sisters weren't considered in his Will.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I have a simple solution (for me). One daughter, no other offspring.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:40 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:39 pm The best answer is to sell up now and spend the proceeds on drugs and hookers
...and a Panigale.
Should be able to get a couple for that money.
non quod, sed quomodo
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Any inheritance isn't in the bank until the person dies, it might end up paying for a care home.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

wheelnut wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 8:31 pm As others have said, it’s the parents’ estate to leave however they wish. It’s not a case of being fair or unfair. It’s up to the executors to disperse the estate according to the will.

Different system here in Turkey.

I can make a Will (I'm in the process of doing so) and put anything and everything in it except my house.

Anyone given anything in my Will (for example, my friend Mustafa E has the choice of any or all of my tools) has to go to the local court, prove that they are the person mentioned in the Will and claim what has been listed - and be given the court's permission to take the stuff. There is no executor as such.

The house though is different - I can't leave the house to whoever I want. Blood relatives can follow the same basic procedure in the local court. In my case, that is my son (who some of you know) and my grandchildren due to my other son's early demise. It's possible of course that I don't want them to inherit my house and there are some legal ways I can prevent them claiming it. These ways are not loopholes that I can exploit; the basic principle of direct blood relatives, primarily my children, claiming my house is set in stone. If I have sold the house though . . . ;)
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I happy to say none of this is a problem for me, as my ol' mum ain't got a pot to piss in. :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Pirahna wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:29 am Any inheritance isn't in the bank until the person dies, it might end up paying for a care home.
I don't like the way that care home fees can be claimed like this, it's not right that one person can sit on the dole all his life and get a care home for free, and someone else who has saved for his family ends up losing the lot to pay their fees.

We decided to give our kids as much of our money as we could now, rather than wait until we're dead.
It means I have to work a bit longer because I've basically given them a big chunk of our retirement money, but at least it means that they get a decent big chunk of cash whilst they're young enough to put it to good use.

The government could still take the house I suppose, an appalling situation, I hope we're able to die in it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Potter wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:24 am
Pirahna wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:29 am Any inheritance isn't in the bank until the person dies, it might end up paying for a care home.
I don't like the way that care home fees can be claimed like this, it's not right that one person can sit on the dole all his life and get a care home for free, and someone else who has saved for his family ends up losing the lot to pay their fees.

We decided to give our kids as much of our money as we could now, rather than wait until we're dead.
It means I have to work a bit longer because I've basically given them a big chunk of our retirement money, but at least it means that they get a decent big chunk of cash whilst they're young enough to put it to good use.

The government could still take the house I suppose, an appalling situation, I hope we're able to die in it.
In the 7 years my MIL was in need of nursing care,the care home fees were over £300k. They took every last penny of her savings and her house before she died.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

In the 7 years my MIL was in need of nursing care,the care home fees were over £300k. They took every last penny of her savings and her house before she died.
How else could it be paid for?
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:24 am

BoJo promised to sort that out! :roll:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Ditchfinder wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:10 pm
How else could it be paid for?
From the same fund as the people that didn’t save up or stretch themselves to buy their own house.

There should be a threshold, I’m not saying millionaires shouldn’t pay but if someone has worked hard and bought their own house then (for example) the first 500k shouldn’t be considered when looking at means tested healthcare - if they’ve paid NI all their lives.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

There should be a threshold, I’m not saying millionaires shouldn’t pay but if someone has worked hard and bought their own house then (for example) the first 500k shouldn’t be considered when looking at means tested healthcare - if they’ve paid NI all their lives.
Going to need a bit of an increase in NI then. Esepcially as we have no-one to fill all the care vancacies. Most care agencies are paying well above minimum wage now and recruitment is not easy.
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Maffs innit...

NI just ain't gonna cover care home fees, it doesn't even cover the stuff it's meant to cover already :D

I kinda agree with the argument of "why should I have to pay when the doleys who didn't try harder at school get it all for free?"...but then again, I (the hypothetical me anyway) got to spend the last six or seven decades with a considerably higher standard of living by virtue of my hard work. Scroungers* might get it free now, but they had to live a scroungers life up to this point.

I think I'd rather have it my way around!

*Other inflammatory trolley terms are available
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:31 pm
I kinda agree with the argument of "why should I have to pay when the doleys who didn't try harder at school get it all for free?"...but then again, I (the hypothetical me anyway) got to spend the last six or seven decades with a considerably higher standard of living by virtue of my hard work. Scroungers* might get it free now, but they had to live a scroungers life up to this point.

I think I'd rather have it my way around!

The issue is why do they potentially get the same level of care . . . ? ;)