What's it called and where can I get it done?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: What's it called and where can I get it done?

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:09 pm I've seen IG stuff where they make 'river tables' by pouring stuff into gaps between slices of tree. Single or multiplepour. They don't seem to have bubble problems. 2 part epoxy, low exotherm. This is listed as 'deep pour epoxy river table resin' but the company does lots of stuff, some sorts are on Amazon.

https://www.clearcastresins.co.uk/deep- ... n-29-p.asp
Watch some long form youtube videos on it, they can have the devil of a time with bubbles, for a casting of a thing in resin I'm guessing the aim is for crystal clear with polished sides.

For tables https://www.youtube.com/@BlacktailStudio and https://www.youtube.com/@John_Malecki
For resin in moulds https://www.youtube.com/@nickzammeti and https://www.youtube.com/@BensWorx
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

And still nobody has asked the relevance of the peg....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:13 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:09 pm I've seen IG stuff where they make 'river tables' by pouring stuff into gaps between slices of tree. Single or multiplepour. They don't seem to have bubble problems. 2 part epoxy, low exotherm. This is listed as 'deep pour epoxy river table resin' but the company does lots of stuff, some sorts are on Amazon.

https://www.clearcastresins.co.uk/deep- ... n-29-p.asp
Watch some long form youtube videos on it, they can have the devil of a time with bubbles, for a casting of a thing in resin I'm guessing the aim is for crystal clear with polished sides.

For tables https://www.youtube.com/@BlacktailStudio and https://www.youtube.com/@John_Malecki
For resin in moulds https://www.youtube.com/@nickzammeti and https://www.youtube.com/@BensWorx
I guess they don't show the degassing on the tables stuff on IG short vids. However, for a clothes peg I'd probably make the mould twice as deep* and use a slow, low viscosity resin, stick it next to something that vibrates for a while. Bubbles rise, slice the top half off, polish. Job jobbed. :thumbup:

Edit. This is probably better, just reduce the amount of catalyst to slow things down.

https://www.clearcastresins.co.uk/polye ... n-55-p.asp

Edit 2. * assuming it will be moulded in the horizontal position. :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:05 pm
Potter wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:25 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:07 pm
"Well over" is underselling it :D You can get water way higher than 100°C with the right pressure, and indeed even 'normal' power stations run up well into the hundreds and hundreds of celsius.
Well yeah, I didn't want to be too boring :lol:

I have a few questions that I used to throw out in interviews to immediately see where someone was at, one of them was "How can I make a cup of water boil at 70c?"
It's a very easy question, but if you don't know then you don't know.

Back onto the subject, there are some brilliant videos on Youtube of people making tables and things using resin and bits of all sorts of things, I particularly like the old wood and resin tables, you can use coloured resin and make some really nice stuff. It's on my list of things to do once I've retired and got time to bugger about.
My old physics teacher used to do an experiment where he could get water boiling at about 38C, pointing out that that this was why tea at altitude tastes rubbish.
And the fact that you rarely get offered anything but UHT milk - and most of that is shockingly awful in tea!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:35 pm And still nobody has asked the relevance of the peg....
I think none of us have the mental capacity to bear it.
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Many years ago, pegs were used as currency between Gypsies and the settled community. So maybe it has some ancient monetary symbolism attached to it? Has Sadlonelygit ever quoted anyone for a driveway per chance?
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Taipan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:49 pm Many years ago, pegs were used as currency between Gypsies and the settled community. So maybe it has some ancient monetary symbolism attached to it? Has Sadlonelygit ever quoted anyone for a driveway per chance?
No, but I'll fight ya for a paaaaaaand.

The pegs were given to us on honeymoon in NZ by some locals which got us out of the poop.
This is the last one left intact, so as it reminds us of the great time we had away for 3 months, I thought best to preserve it.
She thinks they're all FUBAR, and was quite upset when she broke the 'last' one.
Sentimental old bugger, me!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:00 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 3:49 pm Many years ago, pegs were used as currency between Gypsies and the settled community. So maybe it has some ancient monetary symbolism attached to it? Has Sadlonelygit ever quoted anyone for a driveway per chance?

The pegs were given to us on honeymoon in NZ by some locals which got us out of the poop.
This is the last one left intact, so as it reminds us of the great time we had away for 3 months, I thought best to preserve it.
She thinks they're all FUBAR, and was quite upset when she broke the 'last' one.
Is it a classic 'dolly peg' type or a new fangled spring loaded one?

(Being NZ I'm guessing hand whittled :D ).
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Count Steer wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:07 pm
Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:00 pm

Is it a classic 'dolly peg' type or a new fangled spring loaded one?

(Being NZ I'm guessing hand whittled :D ).
Classic plastic dolly!
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

If you go DIY I’d certainly practice a bit first.

Presumably you’ve only got one peg of particular significance so cocking it up might not go down well.

If fact she might hang you out to dry.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Talking of pegs.

Some bugger nicked a pair of Mrs Y's knickers off our washing line.

Not too bothered about the knickers themselves, but we'd like the 10 clothes pegs returned.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Scotsrich wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:52 am If you go DIY I’d certainly practice a bit first.

Presumably you’ve only got one peg of particular significance so cocking it up might not go down well.

If fact she might hang you out to dry.
ba-dum-tsss-drum.gif
ba-dum-tsss-drum.gif (448.58 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Potter

Post by Potter »

This looks like a good small project, maybe not my cup of tea as an ornament but I bet it’s fun to make.
Attachments
IMG_3473.jpeg
IMG_3473.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 596 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The question is...are those bubbles intentional? :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:58 am The question is...are those bubbles intentional? :D
Are they buggery, they'd be coming from the divers if they were
Horse

Post by Horse »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:04 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:58 am The question is...are those bubbles intentional? :D
Do fish fart?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
David

Post by David »

Horse wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:07 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:04 am
Do fish fart?
No,but deep ocean chasms do . ..
cheb

Post by cheb »

The bubble size doesn't vary much from bottom to top. Allowing the divers are an average size the overall depth of the piece would be about 15m. That's enough to allow for a significant expansion in bubble size, depending on the depth the divers are supposed to be at. They're only wearing single tanks so it likely to be not more then 20 or 30m.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:13 pm The bubble size doesn't vary much from bottom to top. Allowing the divers are an average size the overall depth of the piece would be about 15m. That's enough to allow for a significant expansion in bubble size, depending on the depth the divers are supposed to be at. They're only wearing single tanks so it likely to be not more then 20 or 30m.
Also, those rock formations appear to be made out of wood.

It's just all wrong!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:29 pm
cheb wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:13 pm The bubble size doesn't vary much from bottom to top. Allowing the divers are an average size the overall depth of the piece would be about 15m. That's enough to allow for a significant expansion in bubble size, depending on the depth the divers are supposed to be at. They're only wearing single tanks so it likely to be not more then 20 or 30m.
Also, those rock formations appear to be made out of wood.

It's just all wrong!
I'll allow them some artistic licence.