Brake failure... could you jump off?

Anything you like about motorbikes
ninja

Re: Brake failure... could you jump off?

Post by ninja »

I expect he'd thought about the implications of carrying on after his brakes started playing up earlier in the race
His options were jump off, or die.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

A moto gap racer probably considers sliding along the road on his arse as part and parcel of the job.

Most of them will do it several times a season and some several times in a weekend so bailing off would hold no fears for them.

Your normal road riders experience of falling of is ..it hurts and is accompanied by broken bones, bruising, time in hospital and off work.

So your default position is to hang on as long as possible and hope for the best at the end.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Anytime I've come off a bike my lack of injuries have been mostly through luck rather than skill.
So...yes, no maybe?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I'd have jumped....

..... up into a perfect form surfing position on the seat, then executed a perfect 360 front flip over the barrier 2 milliseconds before it hit
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Horse wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:55 am
One of the great biking myths used to be "I laid the bike down to avoid a crash" aka "I panic braked, locked up, fell off".
Yeah you don't hear that half as much now that ABS is widespread.

I think I'd get as far as thinking 'hey this is like that time in the Styrian GP when Maver....' then I'd be in a hedge. :(
Skub

Post by Skub »

Nah,I don't kid myself. My old brain has a 1955 processor installed,way too slow for those kind of reactions!

A load of years ago,myself and a few mates were standing behind a 3ft wall in Clough village,watching the Mid Antrim races. We imagined we'd have time to jump if an off course bike came our direction. :roll:

Yeah,we all jumped,about 2 seconds after a bike hit the wall in front of us. If it had been just a little higher,I'd have been typing this with my head wand,or not at all.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I had brakes fail on my TL1000R race bike on snettertons back straight, luckily there was run off and lots of it.
Also ran off track at Charlie’s one at Cadwell around 100mph, I took a couple seconds or less looking at tyres approaching and jumped or more accurately fell off the inside. I was prob doing 60mph and it’s not pleasant but there was no doubt in my mind or hesitation, I reckon most would do it tbh. On another forum one of the lads jumped when his brakes failed at Jerez too
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I thought some of you were there?

Front brake lever fell apart possibly due to vibration, first flying lap after shakedown of new build, flat out into a hairpin.

What you can't see so easily is, after I jumped off, I landed back on the bike...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato