Spitfire flights over hospitals 18th August

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: Spitfire flights over hospitals 18th August

Post by Horse »

chillitt wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:41 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:31 pm
slowsider wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:17 pm

TBF few of those bases were significant in the defeat of Japan... and many were USAAF stations. :)
Please enlighten us, which of the bases on the flight path was based around RAF bases which were significant to the defeat of Japan. IIRC Enola Gay took off from the Mariana Island...and it wasn't an RAF bird...

Although it's funny you should mention some, although called RAF xxx some were indeed USAAF, now I wonder who actually finished WWII with the dropping of two atomic bombs.... RAF or USAAF. :think:
Everyones scared to go near the USAF based in case some dopey spies wife wipes them out driving on the wrong side of the road, so there's no point in them getting a fly past.
'RAF' Croughton doesn't have any fly boys.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Druid

Post by Druid »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:31 pm
Please enlighten us, which of the bases on the flight path was based around RAF bases which were significant to the defeat of Japan. IIRC Enola Gay took off from the Mariana Island...and it wasn't an RAF bird...

Although it's funny you should mention some, although called RAF xxx some were indeed USAAF, now I wonder who actually finished WWII with the dropping of two atomic bombs.... RAF or USAAF. :think:
Slightly off topic but interesting anyway. The B29 needed some fairly substantial modifications to enable it to carry the A bombs and it was by no means certain that those mods would be completed in time. The Lancaster could carry both bombs with no modification so a flight of RAF Lancasters were assigned as a back up so it was very nearly the RAF that dropped the A bombs. Google "Black Lancasters" for more details
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Black Lancasters Matter? :)
636mick

Post by 636mick »

The skies are clearing nicely over me, hopefully the route he takes should put him almost exactly overhead between Kettering General and Danetre Hospital, then a turn towards Rugby. I’ve not seen the Spit close up, always at a distance so fingers crossed.
Small problem is I’m on a dial in from 1000 so might do it on the phone not the pc so I can wander into the garden for a look.
Mick.
David

Post by David »

So not much chance of spotting them from Aberystwyth then?
Mind you, I will be in specsavers around then...
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Just gone over, lovely noise they make!! Bang on time too, Not on FR24 though.
Mick