So then.... the forum 'problems' we're having with posting/arguing/bickering.

What can the Admins do to help, any requests for changes, updates, etc.
Skub

Re: So then.... the forum 'problems' we're having with posting/arguing/bickering.

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:50 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:32 pm Do people really pm you Weeksy when they fall out with each other?

It's like primary school kids running to teacher.

BTW, can you ban dodgy, his trip is making me jealous.
LOL. Even people who aren't involved do the PM thing, taking sides and telling us which one needs banning. :lol:
Really? You can do that?

PM sent. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Re: So then.... the forum 'problems' we're having with posting/arguing/bickering.

Post by Count Steer »

Skub wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:54 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:50 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:32 pm Do people really pm you Weeksy when they fall out with each other?

It's like primary school kids running to teacher.

BTW, can you ban dodgy, his trip is making me jealous.
LOL. Even people who aren't involved do the PM thing, taking sides and telling us which one needs banning. :lol:
Really? You can do that?

PM sent. :thumbup:
Got it, thanks. :thumbup:

:D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

porter_jamie wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:04 pm Life is too short, people being a dick just ban them, they won't me missed!
Now there's the rub, when they're not being dicks / overly obsessive they appear to be reasonable chaps who can post decent content, nursey just needs to up their meds.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

In my mind the <report this post> function was only ever to be used like the communication cord of a train - full on emergency, take notice now! sort of stuff - so in the case of forums where anything overly dangerous, damaging, illegal was being posted. If anyone is using the <report> as an opportunity to whinge you should tell them to feck right off - or how about short-term banning them for misuse?

I come in here less these days because it's more often the same set of fools, treading the same path, with an agenda that you can see from outer space. Yeah, I'm probably no better, not contributing much that is new, exciting, different, relevant - but it takes a bigger quorum of motivated and like-minded users who aren't fixated on US Politics and conspiracies to engage with new posts and bring them to life, otherwise you end up talking to yourself.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:40 pm In my mind the <report this post> function was only ever to be used like the communication cord of a train - full on emergency, take notice now! sort of stuff - so in the case of forums where anything overly dangerous, damaging, illegal was being posted. If anyone is using the <report> as an opportunity to whinge you should tell them to feck right off - or how about short-term banning them for misuse?

I come in here less these days because it's more often the same set of fools, treading the same path, with an agenda that you can see from outer space. Yeah, I'm probably no better, not contributing much that is new, exciting, different, relevant - but it takes a bigger quorum of motivated and like-minded users who aren't fixated on US Politics and conspiracies to engage with new posts and bring them to life, otherwise you end up talking to yourself..
Yup. The exact opposite of <report this post> is thanking people when they do post up something informative or funny. All too often it seems that people see it as some sort of right to be informed and entertained and a lot of the time posts that do just that just roll through like tumbleweed. It must get people thinking 'I don't know why I bother' when they go to the trouble of posting something useful/entertaining/thoughtful and it looks like nobody gives a toss or they just go 'Meh. I don't like that' ie when someone posts up a bike thread. Well, if they hadn't posted it they wouldn't have needed to trouble their keyboard. I guess that's the social media way...the world is here to entertain ME.

*wanders off to see who the most 'thankless' people are...*
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

He started it!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Month in jail for the trolling/bitching. Not taking heed then two month next time. Trolling was one of the main reasons WB stopped getting subs from me.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 5:10 pm
Yup. The exact opposite of <report this post> is thanking people when they do post up something informative or funny. All too often it seems that people see it as some sort of right to be informed and entertained and a lot of the time posts that do just that just roll through like tumbleweed. It must get people thinking 'I don't know why I bother' when they go to the trouble of posting something useful/entertaining/thoughtful and it looks like nobody gives a toss or they just go 'Meh. I don't like that' ie when someone posts up a bike thread. Well, if they hadn't posted it they wouldn't have needed to trouble their keyboard. I guess that's the social media way...the world is here to entertain ME.

*wanders off to see who the most 'thankless' people are...*
I don't generally look at the 'stats', but every now and then I realise that I've thanked way more than I've posted. Way more! But for me, putting a like on a post that makes me smile or think or learn is 'polite' (that isn't really the word I'm looking for but I'm sure you 'get' it!), and sad as it is, it makes me smile if I open up the page and have a like or a reply. (I do know that's very sad!! :lol: :lol: )

I used to love the Todays News thread because I don't look for news anywhere and the (sometimes) opposing views gave me a chance to see things differently, whether I agreed or not. But I don't want to read a shit ton of 'stuff' about the US or other topics that may or may not be some kind of theory (good or bad). The sort of info most people like is more fun than serious. You can go look for serious anywhere, less so the fun side of life (especially if you are somewhere that closes down for two months and you are seriously stressed)

It's like in a pub. How often do you walk towards the group arguing politics etc. You know none agree but they'll argue they are right till the end of time. Usually most people prefer the end of the bar that can discuss a topic and agree that they can all disagree and get another round in. (I once had someone say to me very forcefully - "You don't understand, I'll explain again because if you understood, you'd agree" :roll: :roll: :roll: FFS )

I miss the lightheartedness of some threads. I know I don't have to see the arguements, but I do use the 'New Posts' thingy, so I see all the posts are there - always try to be positive, so I do sometimes open them (but not if I'm miserable!!). Don't always read them, but then that makes me a bit sad because some of the threads used to be awesome and fun. Even on a serious topic.

I don't post that much because I don't ride at the mo, am not very mechanical and so feel I'm really not interesting enough to post too much. But this is like my 'local' - solitary life sans bike is not fun without a group of mates to read with and chat with :wub: :wub:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Wow, those Thanks stats are pretty damming. I think my button must be broken.... only 371 thanks given!

It's nice to see Taipan winning (if you don't include the boss).
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Like I said in my (many) exchanges, I RESPOND to trolling/insults or people who just deliberately scribble shite on my posts.

I am not an instigator but since my posting style is let's say contentious, it is always my posts being deleted, my threads getting locked and me being given some sort of warning. I don't force anyone to read my waffle. It is easy enough to ignore, just put me on ignore.

But I have a number of members who seem to only want to rile me up. Especially one who follows me around like a lost puppy, shitting on everything I write. I have most on ignore of course, but that one needs to be put in its place once in a while and if the "forum rules" allow such behaviour to continue, then I have to risk breaking those rules myself to try and dissuade such unnecessary nonsense.

Leave me alone, laugh at my "nonsense" posts about Russia invading Ukraine or the Biden Mafia, the ineffective overhyped "vaccine", excess death rates or even the continued weaponisation of viruses. I also happen to believe that the unmitigated rise of AI will be the biggest threat to our current society since forever. I believe it will be a game changing technology. If these things aren't something that concerns you, then why go out of the way to criticise or insult me. Just ignore my "nonsense". Wait and see.

The truth will always come out eventually. One of these days these "conspiracy theories" will either be confirmed or denied. Then we will know. By then of course it will be too late but hey, what else can we do except try to establish the truth. Unpalatable as it may be.
“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”
Plato
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I've not been around much, but I'm creeping back so I'm not aware of the arguing and bickering but I've notice a bit of it everywhere, all around - times are tough.

Can we not asked the offenders to say sorry? Don't laugh, I'm serious. It's more effective than a ban.
Lockdown refugee
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:56 am I've not been around much, but I'm creeping back so I'm not aware of the arguing and bickering but I've notice a bit of it everywhere, all around - times are tough.

Can we not asked the offenders to say sorry? Don't laugh, I'm serious. It's more effective than a ban.
That has already happened in one instance.

Mostly i was just making 'the forum' aware that i will be taking steps and being stricter if things get out of hand again. It often goes in cycles, where i get 2 months of quiet and happy then a month of rant-fest... I'm hoping we can now settle down back into a quiet time.

Normally we have spring which starts making everyone happy as their riding stuff kicks in again, but the weather hasn't helped there and even now, people don't seem fully inclined to jump on their bikes, so maybe a little all-round frustration. Hopefully that is now passing and we can get back to a bit of community spirit again.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pm Like I said in my (many) exchanges, I RESPOND to trolling/insults or people who just deliberately scribble shite on my posts.
Screwdriver wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pmIt is easy enough to ignore, just put me on ignore.
If you do as you suggest and ignore the trolling/insults, then things don't escalate.

Surely it's possible to accept that people think opposite or just don't like what is written? (on both sides)

You advise they ignore you - maybe it would work for you too?

xx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Noggin wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:45 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pm Like I said in my (many) exchanges, I RESPOND to trolling/insults or people who just deliberately scribble shite on my posts.
Screwdriver wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pmIt is easy enough to ignore, just put me on ignore.
If you do as you suggest and ignore the trolling/insults, then things don't escalate.

Surely it's possible to accept that people think opposite or just don't like what is written? (on both sides)

xx
...and that works except for...
Screwdriver wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pm one who follows me around like a lost puppy, shitting on everything I write. I have most on ignore of course, but that one needs to be put in its place once in a while and if the "forum rules" allow such behaviour to continue, then I have to risk breaking those rules myself to try and dissuade such unnecessary nonsense.
It got so bad a couple of years ago, I changed my username and even that didn't work. I can't blame the mods or Weeksy because they clearly don't follow my every move or the activities of the trolls who have latched onto me. I could literally write a compelling report since the activities and timings are there for all to see but life's too short. I take a swing one once in a while but then I am the one who ends up in schtick.
“The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.”
Plato
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:59 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:45 pm

xx
...and that works except for...
Screwdriver wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:01 pm one who follows me around like a lost puppy, shitting on everything I write. I have most on ignore of course, but that one needs to be put in its place once in a while and if the "forum rules" allow such behaviour to continue, then I have to risk breaking those rules myself to try and dissuade such unnecessary nonsense.
It got so bad a couple of years ago, I changed my username and even that didn't work. I can't blame the mods or Weeksy because they clearly don't follow my every move or the activities of the trolls who have latched onto me. I could literally write a compelling report since the activities and timings are there for all to see but life's too short. I take a swing one once in a while but then I am the one who ends up in schtick.
Even more reason to ignore then. Or put them on ignore?

I get what you mean but if you respond it escalates and spoils any original info/posting for others. I generally scroll past your posts because I'm not in the right headspace to even begin to address the comment/info. Or I could post getting miffed about info overload. I know which I prefer.

If the other person doesn't, you need to - for your sanity as much as anything
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Sighs heavily.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:56 pm Wow, those Thanks stats are pretty damming. I think my button must be broken.... only 371 thanks given!

It's nice to see Taipan winning (if you don't include the boss).
I won at something!! Sheesh, I wish my Mama was here to see it! :D
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Shove up a list of the serial reportees and reported. I would happily take a leave of absence if I was on that list TBH. I know I'm not one of the fecking narcs ;), but if I was often reported, that would be fine with me. Plus - I would get to be in the Winner's Club with TiePin.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

DefTrap wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:44 pm Shove up a list of the serial reportees and reported. I would happily take a leave of absence if I was on that list TBH. I know I'm not one of the fecking narcs ;), but if I was often reported, that would be fine with me. Plus - I would get to be in the Winner's Club with TiePin.
LOL that's not happening.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

8-) I'm liking every post, y'know, to keep my edge! 8-)