New Bike- Triumph 765RS Street Triple

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Slenver

Re: New Bike- Triumph 765RS Street Triple

Post by Slenver »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:17 am
Slenver wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:39 am Very much on my shortlist too :)

I'd been looking at older ones but the newest one does sound to be an improvement. Which is annoying. I'm very much a Buy A Year or Two Old For a Few Grand Less kind of a guy.
Think how it is for me, I'm a buy a 30 year old bike for a grand kind of guy
In fairness, my previous statement was a kind of best case for me. Usually it's more of a 5-to-10 year old for somewhere in between.

Not sure I could actually buy a new bike though, much as it would be nice.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 am The only current modern bike that I think looks good and I would consider buying, I live round the corner from a Triumph dealer and they've got a couple of these a demonstrators, I'm very tempted to try one, but I've a feeling that if I do I'll buy one.
Go on- variety is the spice of life, and all that :thumbup:

And it'll make you appreciate your old shitters even more (perhaps :D )
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Tricky wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 am
Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:17 am The only current modern bike that I think looks good and I would consider buying, I live round the corner from a Triumph dealer and they've got a couple of these a demonstrators, I'm very tempted to try one, but I've a feeling that if I do I'll buy one.
Go on- variety is the spice of life, and all that :thumbup:

And it'll make you appreciate your old shitters even more (perhaps :D )
On holiday next week, but I might take one out the week after, I do genuinely fancy one, I had a very good look at them at the NEC bike show and at Ally Pally
Honda Owner
IOU0

Post by IOU0 »

Vnb TD.
It's the one you should've bought to start with ;)
Or Weeksy's XSR when he flogs it on
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Tricky wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:39 pm
Couchy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 pm They look lovely and it’s a bike i so want to like, your experience almost makes me think I got it wrong or had a duff one tbh. I feel a demo coming up 👍👍
Dunno, as I said I don't really have any other recent relevant Triumph reference point- the 2020 Street Triples have a more blingy dash, and supposedly have more bottom/mid-range than the slightliy earlier ones, but I think thats about it.
What didn't you like over the 675- engine, chassis, or what?
The 675 was a playful bike easy to wheelie in the first 3 gears and always felt very light. The 765 I jumped on straight from my 675 felt more grown up and serious and seemed to have lost that edge the 675 had. It was faster but that’s all I came away with. It wasn’t bad by any stretch it just didn’t seem as fun. I can imagine on track it is awesome though so will try and blag a go one day 👍
I will get a demo though as I can’t believe we’re that far apart on how a bike feels
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:02 pm I can imagine on track it is awesome though so will try and blag a go one day 👍
I will get a demo though as I can’t believe we’re that far apart on how a bike feels
Come to Pembrey , i am sure he will let you try it for a session to compare notes ;)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:02 pm
Tricky wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:39 pm
Couchy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:33 pm They look lovely and it’s a bike i so want to like, your experience almost makes me think I got it wrong or had a duff one tbh. I feel a demo coming up 👍👍
Dunno, as I said I don't really have any other recent relevant Triumph reference point- the 2020 Street Triples have a more blingy dash, and supposedly have more bottom/mid-range than the slightliy earlier ones, but I think thats about it.
What didn't you like over the 675- engine, chassis, or what?
The 675 was a playful bike easy to wheelie in the first 3 gears and always felt very light. The 765 I jumped on straight from my 675 felt more grown up and serious and seemed to have lost that edge the 675 had. It was faster but that’s all I came away with. It wasn’t bad by any stretch it just didn’t seem as fun. I can imagine on track it is awesome though so will try and blag a go one day 👍
Dunno what your 675 had in the way of electronics ( the old 675 Daytona I rode years ago had none) , but sounds like may have been electronics affecting your enjoyment to me.
That's one area where the 765 is definitely behind the KTM IMO, electronics are less sophisticated and have less granular options- to disable anti wheelie you have to go into "Rider" mode and turn TC off.
In Track' mode , it's still active, and although possibly would get you around a track faster, it's a bit dull as it doesn't wheelie like it can- it's wierd though, in Track' mode, it will let you lift it in first , but not the other gears- it easily lifts off the throttle in 2nd, or even 3rd with it disabled.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

It's all a bit hectic for me this week and the events of the next few days mean I'm not going to be able to get out on the 765 but have put other 100ish miles on it on Wednesday and starting to get to know it better , and loving it.

I've also bought another couple of little extras, both genuine Triumph- hoping that the screen makes it a bit less blowy, as it's definitely worse in that respect than the 790/890 with the screen on, albeit its so diddy I'm not expecting much either than a slight cosmetic improvement- I like the look of it installed and I'm a tart.

And I got the case protectors to complement the frame protectors, hopefully they'll ever be needed of course, but this will be my trackday bike, so just in case...

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Rode this today and must admit I'm a little bit confused about my opinion. The roads were not ideal and neither was the traffic which didn't help.

I got off it thinking 'that was ok' rather than WOW. It did everything well, up the box, down the box, power delivery, brakes, turn in, everything was nice. But I wanted a bit more wow from it I guess. I was changing up early as tricky told me he was taking it gentle on the rpm. Well, I say I was, but I'm not sure as the dash is a complete mystery as to what's going on, it's very very busy, with loads of stuff but that means you have no idea what's happening on it. Maybe you get used to that, but it has about a billion different display configurations you can set.

It was less cramped in the legs than the Monsters I rode at the weekend, but about the same as the 790/890 I guess, bit easier on the wrists than the monster too. The gearbox was effortless, snick snick, lovely.

It's hard to find a single thing bad to say about it, other than, I don't want one because it lacked any soul or character that I like in bikes. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for worse, but it adds a little something to the event and the ride.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Lamb Chop mentioned the dash being unclear in his test this week
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:02 pm Lamb Chop mentioned the dash being unclear in his test this week
Yeah I whole-heartedly agree with that, the dash is shite, - looks quite pretty but has too many options and is trying to be too clever- why they didn't just whack the one from the Speed Triple on beats me, its miles better.

As for the rest of the bike, I've got 600 miles on it now, and still loving it, albeit if I'm honest, not quite to the same extent I loved the 790, I will admit, albeit I suspect that view could change after a trackday or two as it just feels like it will be so much more composed and competant than the 790, and probably 890 was, although of course I'll probably never know that.

Riding Weeksy's XSR bck to back with it a week or so back was interesting, particularloy as I'd done exactly the same thing with the 890R and XSR a week or two previously- most pronounced two immediate difference for me between the ST and XSR were the amount of low down grunt, and weight.
XSR has lots more low down, but interestingly for me, when I jumped ff the 890R onto the XSR, I thought that the 890 had slightly more than the XSR. ST feels loads lighter, more precise and just easier to go fast on than the XSR, but its to be expected- the XSR isn't trying to be a sportsbike, whereas that really is exactly what the ST is IMO, it just has no fairing and different handlebars
If you never rode a 790/890 or XSR, and were used to , say CBRs, ZX636 R6s etc, and in fast most 1000cc jap IL4s, you certainly wouldn't think the ST lacking low down, as TBH it really isn't, but the Yam CP3 and KTM 790/890 engines are all about low down shove, what it translates to is where the ST will easily loft the front purely off the throttle on 2nd, and 3rd too if you get it right, you need 7-8k on the (almost impossible to read :roll: revcounter before attempting it, whereas the others do it with half that number of the dial

But I think a couple of things Weeksy's post above misses on through is the top end of the ST, as in he wasn't wringing its neck, as Id told him I was taking it relatively steady, and when you do let it sing, it takes on another character IMO- you get it up past 8k and it absoloutely flies right the way through to 12-13k, it really is a peach of an engine and really pretty loud too for a standard bike , albeit I have to say on the road at least, I prefer the characteristics of the KTM 790/890 engine.
And the chassis- I know I've said it before, but it just feels so sorted, precise, and light in comparison to the XSR, and just more sorted and stable than the 790/890, whilst still retaining the light and small(ish) feel that they have
It's booked in for its first service tomorrow, and then we've got my first trackday of the year at Brands on thursday, and I have to say, I reckon it could be just the tool I need to win Inters on that circuit , albeit this time I'll be in Fast, so that'll have to wait a bit until I next see couchy at a circuit and let him have a go on it :D ;)
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Ten months or so have passed since I last posted in this thread so I feel it's due an update.

And the big news is that the 765 is still very much here - it didn’t get ridden much (well, at all really) from October-ish last year until early this year but that probably won’t surprise many people.

We’ve now clocked the grand total of roughly 1500 miles, and TBH most of them since the last post have been on track
The first of these was at Brands last August in-between lockdowns, a scorcher of a day with the Weeksys and one or two others there too , where in fact it came very close to not existing anymore.
A Fireblade that I was dicing with blew its guts (or more accurately the oil filter spun undone) and covered me and the765 in stinking hot oil just before you shut off for Paddock- was quite an experience, and by a good deal more luck than anything else, I and the 765 made it down the other side together and in one piece by not touching the brakes and using all the track and a bit more, which is, unfortunately, more than the Fireblade or its rider did (was a very fast off)
Anyway, I digress- it was the first time I’d taken it on a track, Brands Indy of course isn’t a complex one but it did show up some deficiencies in the standard suspension set-up, which previously had felt great on the road- it was squatting far too much and weaving on the power out of corners and really didn’t feel good at all going from hard left to right in the bit at the end of the Cooper straight, so I gave some money to the suspension man there and we got it much better- TBH the big change was just getting the sag at each end better and it more balanced.
So it acquitted itself very well there and may have even just about won the Fast group (albeit it doesn’t count as it was a roadbike only day , and definitely nowhere near a real fast group :) )

Brands

Since then it’s been to Pembrey, and in the last few weeks Brands again, Donington and Cadwell – the weather and it has been simply brilliant every time, and although I still have occasional pangs for another 890R Duke, I have to say, the 765 is probably a better overall bike- it’s certainly screwed together a lot better, it is a quality product IMO with a great engine, brakes and simply the best QS and particularly downshifter of any bike I’ve tried.

Pembrey 2020 extravangza with the boys

Anyway tyres- It comes as standard with SuperCorsas, so that’s what I’ve used all the way through, changing them only a couple of days ago at lunchtime at Cadwell as although they have kept a decent profile, the rear was starting to move around a bit too much, but they've lasted well and I've definitely had my money’s worth out of them IMO

I’ve replaced them with Dunlop Sportsmart TTs, both as I loved them on the H2, and I got a cracking deal on them- the rear is a 180/60 (replacing 180/55) , which I’ve never tried before so was interested to see what if any difference I could detect and I love it- definitely makes it feel a bit quicker steering, so that will be the default size for me from here on, on this bike at least.

So I think it’s here to stay, for a bit longer at least, I have had thoughts about both the current model Tuono, and getting a go on the latest Speed Triple and SD1290R, but the honest answer is that there is nothing else I currently want more, well possibly unless someone turns my head with a too-good-to-miss deal on an 890R perhaps.

Anyway, we’ll see, but in the meantime, another couple of pics taken on mine and Kev’s gripping night out in Horncastle (Lincs) the night before the Cadwell day, really is like stepping back in time :D

Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I know someone who lived in Horncastle, he complains about how rough it is and how much trouble there is there - it makes Ipswich look like the Bronx.

Triumph is still a nice looking bike.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Tricky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 pm Anyway, we’ll see, but in the meantime, another couple of pics taken on mine and Kev’s gripping night out in Horncastle (Lincs) the night before the Cadwell day, really is like stepping back in time :D
My wife is from Louth, so I've been to that part of the world loads of times. Her mum lives just down the road from a coal merchant and the shops there still shut on Wednesday afternoons.

I notice that shoe shop picture has single shoes and not pairs in the window. That's not cause they're saving space, that is genuinely what the locals need.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The triumph definitely ticks plenty of boxes, along with the mt09sp. 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:32 pm I know someone who lived in Horncastle, he complains about how rough it is and how much trouble there is there - it makes Ipswich look like the Bronx.
Triumph is still a nice looking bike.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:02 am
Tricky wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 pm Anyway, we’ll see, but in the meantime, another couple of pics taken on mine and Kev’s gripping night out in Horncastle (Lincs) the night before the Cadwell day, really is like stepping back in time :D
My wife is from Louth, so I've been to that part of the world loads of times. Her mum lives just down the road from a coal merchant and the shops there still shut on Wednesday afternoons.

I notice that shoe shop picture has single shoes and not pairs in the window. That's not cause they're saving space, that is genuinely what the locals need.
Both those posts really made me smile- we saw about two people there all night, so I think all the baddies were safely tucked in bed early when we were there.
Our hotel's kitchen shut at 8 pm, only 2 pubs were open neither were serving food or had anyone in them and the only other place we could find open was the Chinese takeaway so dinner was a bag of chips and curry sauce sitting on a bench in the town square, washed down with a few pints back at the hotel.
The shop windows were great - I didn't even realize people still bought home phones anymore :D

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:46 am The triumph definitely ticks plenty of boxes, along with the mt09sp. 🤔
You're very welcome to give it a go around Pembrey or the Welsh roads if you like, if you haven't bought anything by then - my view it's the 765 is a lot lighter feeling and better handing the MT09 or XSR, probably about the same max power but produced differently- the CP3 is a fair bit stronger low down, 765 a bit more of a screamer

Another gratuitous pic ;)

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I wouldn't mind a try on the Friday mate :) You're obviously more than welcome out on the XSR at the time .
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:34 pm I wouldn't mind a try on the Friday mate :) You're obviously more than welcome out on the XSR at the time .
Hopefully needless to say, but always welcome ( as of course you would be on the 390 too, if it's still around then and makes it through Pembrey noise testing- am guessing you might not be so keen on that one though :lol: )

On another subject, did you see this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-Duke-890 ... true&rt=nc

Am guessing it was nicked, maybe motors a bit rattley now or it's scabbier than it looks in the pics as although a fair few miles up (relatively speaking) considering what it is and the age, seemed reasonably cheap as these things go
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yeah saw that, with 11,000 on it I didn't consider it though.

I still occasionally wander towards the 890 in my brain, but I'd be putting another £4000 of my own in to get one, I don't believe in 95% of circumstances the 890 is better than the XSR though, so £4000 for just 5% of what is arguably a smaller part of my life these days, well it's just not happening.
If I were hitting Pembrey every 2nd week then I'd own one, but I've done 1 Silverstone up to now this year, where the XSR is actually great.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Thanks for the offer Tricky. I'm not looking at changing anytime soon tbh. The tracer does everything I need, but you know what it's like when you've had the same bike for a year or two. 🤔

There isn't anything realistically jumping out at me on the current market, perhaps the big tuono, but that ain't really practical for my needs. If mine had to be replaced, it would probably be a choice between the RS and the MT though. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3