Yamaha MT09SP

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Dodgy69

Re: Yamaha MT09SP

Post by Dodgy69 »

Is there any way you can turn it and prise out at the same time in the hope of catching thread. Iykwim. Other than that, dealer.
Yamaha rocket 3
tricol

Post by tricol »

Not really, it's so tight and fiddly that you can't get any purchase on it. I've tried a very small pick between the inner screw head and the outer but the gap is very flush. I'll wait and call the dealer tomorrow, I always forget they close on a Monday.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Awesome bike. Happy New bIke day! :thumbup:
tricol

Post by tricol »

Flyscreen now sorted, collected the missing collars from the dealer today. They didn't have any of the rivet screws, so I just ordered a couple from Fowlers. I'll chop the current offending items off and pop two new ones hopefully to do anything to them ever again.

Just need some drier roads to get out for the first blat!
Yamaha MT09 SP
tricol

Post by tricol »

Finally made it out. Roads are fairly dry at the moment, although far from ideal. Went out to top up the fuel and make sure all is well. Sorted the rad guard eventually. Needed to use a very fine and sharp pair of angled tweezers to basically get the screw out of the rivet. Popped two new ones in today, good service from Fowlers.

Need to adjust the suspension, feels very firm, although it still felt really nice over the bumpy b-roads around here.

Here's a few shots. Hopefully the flyscreen helps with the headlight hatred :lol:

ImageIMG_9373edit by Colin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9379edit by Colin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_9384edit by Colin, on Flickr
Yamaha MT09 SP
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Nice one! I'm starting to 'get' the looks, and I think the fly screen helps. It certainly has a very purposeful air about it. I think you might find the suspension softens up a bit as it beds in. It isn't just the engine that feels tight and needs running in on a new bike.

But happy new bike, and glad you could get out on it, even if only for a few miles. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mmmmm so about Pembrey
tricol

Post by tricol »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:35 pm Mmmmm so about Pembrey
Should be fun, and I'll be the only one throwing a leg over it ;)
Yamaha MT09 SP
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

tricol wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:02 pm
Here's a few shots. Hopefully the flyscreen helps with the headlight hatred :lol:
Nope ;)

Congrats on the new bike and have loads of smiles on it .....when you changing your username to Yamcol :mrgreen:
tricol

Post by tricol »

Update on the MT. Booked in for its first 600 mile service. Currently have 550 on the clock. Not much riding since the end of January, but hopefully the weather is on the turn now and can start getting out as normal.

Pros so far:
- It's a lot fun, punchy engine and good handling. It will happily lift the front wheel and play.
- Fairly decent economy, averaging mid 50's, so similar to the Trident
- Fits me better than the Trident
- Adjustable suspension

Cons:
- Some of the finish is odd, exposed looms etc. They don't seem to have made any effort to hide most of it, unlike other bikes I've looked at. Even the 'cheap' Trident concealed all that pretty well.
- The riding position is odd now that I've lived with it for a few hundred miles. Bars are very high. I can see why, to clear the tank on full lock. But the XSR has much lower risers probably because of the lower and narrower tank. It's comfortable, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like I can be aggressive on it, I'm sat too tall with my hands. But it will be good for longer days.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Any updates?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:31 pmAny updates?
Looking for a new bike suggestion once the Homda arrives ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:40 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:31 pmAny updates?
Looking for a new bike suggestion once the Homda arrives ;)
lol, no,just trying to drive the bike content... :thumbup:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Will bikes drive up gas prices?

Was covid caused by them French/Chinese Mash hipster bikes?

Will bikes become sentient and take over the world?

Will Putin invade Honda?

1000s of pages of content there!
tricol

Post by tricol »

Not much happening at the moment. A very wet and dull July hasn't helped, not sure I've been out at all this month. Oulton Park in June was a real highlight, loved it. The bike was great. I do feel I've lost the urge for it, that's the first time that's happened. I am a bit bored with the same roads and riding by myself.

I think there is about 1600 miles on it, maybe less. I'd have hope to have more by now, but that's how it is. I've thought about adding a few bits of engine protection, but other than that, I'm not wanting to add to it.

Looking forward to Pembrey and I'm also hoping I can get over to NI on it before the year is out. Just need to sort some soft panniers for it now.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I found getting a sat nav with a twisty route option helped me with that, TomTom rider was what I got and I like it. Just select a place and let it sort out a decent route. Opened up lots more road/route options and never worry about getting lost. I still have some old favs, and occasionally the sat nav route won't be as good as I'd hoped or it'll head down a goat track, but the majority of the time it's great for getting you to new places. I tend to sit down on a sat afternoon and have a quick look on google for somewhere interesting and then plug that into the TomTom as a destination and job jobbed.

You could do it via google maps and a phone but you'd need to plan it a bit more then to make sure it didn't just take you down the motorway.

I'm not too fussed about riding with others, it's the chat more at a place once there that I miss when alone. I do have some mates that it's great to ride with occasionally but 95% of the time I'm alone and happy as I can do what I want, when I want.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

My GS ain't moved since return from euro land. MT once. Don't care, its there when I want it. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
tricol

Post by tricol »

Thought I'd update this as it's been a few months and the recent new MT thread got me thinking. Pembrey was great, obviously, and I travelled with a nice new Kriega US20 seat bag. Did the job really well, easy to fit through the rear sub frame. That combined with the R20 backpack gave me plenty of space for a weekend away. Also fitted the OEM tail tidy. Wasn't too bad to fit overall, apart from the spring that keeps the key cover closed. A right PITA. The new tail tidy then needed a new plate, so off I went to Paddock. They sorted me with a new one, get home, holes aren't level. So, the whole thing looks a bit lob sided. I'll sort it again when I can be arsed.

Not much has happened since then, few days out here and there. Mileage is sitting at about 2800, much less than I'd hoped for this year. No issues at all with the bike, hasn't missed a beat. The tyres are looking like they will need replaced soon, so will I stick with the S22, or go to the new Road 6? The new model being released brought to light the high bar position. After much grumbling to myself and a bit of time spent on finding a solution, a set of Gilles Tooling risers have been purchased. So waiting for them to arrive and hopefully they will help with that riding position.

Now to start thinking about what happens on it next year. A few more trackdays, and maybe a short tour somewhere in the summer.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Skub

Post by Skub »

I think most rider's mileage is down this year as the Summer failed midway. A lot of my miles were done in the Springtime,the rest were the odd days it didn't rain.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yes, most of my miles were done in spring or autumn (France). The month of June (when the weather was mostly good) was a washout for me as I was recovering from hernia surgery. By the time I was fit again the monsoon season arrived.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.