The difference between slow and intermediate groups

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Rockburner

Re: The difference between slow and intermediate groups

Post by Rockburner »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:17 pm Tough one as bikes nowdays can also make novices look fast, as i've found it can also make inters riders looks slow.

First thing they need to do is remove the stigma of the group names.

1, 2, 3..

Whatever, but not novice, as Scotty says, there's not that many novices i think. But there are plenty of people who are not 'fast' and don't need or want to be, for whatever reason. They're happy cruising (relatively) on slower or inappropriate machines and having a bit of fun. But they don't want to go in 'novice' ...
"Relaxed", "Posing", "Serious"

Should make it clear. ;)

I haven't done a trackday in years, last one was at Silverstone where I (and everyone else present) realised that the Rockster is not a very good track bike (der).
non quod, sed quomodo
Craigyboy9

Post by Craigyboy9 »

As someone relatively new to trackdays, I did my first year all in novice group, which was 8 days in total. Two euros (Cartagena & Alcarras, with a Knockhill and a Donny in between. I never felt slow or fast. So I just presumed I was in the right group. One of the boys on the end of season trip said I should try moving up next year. Going back to Cartagena the following year in the Spring sounded like the right thing to do. A track I already knew and by then I was much more comfortable on the bike and on the track. It was like a revelation, I just found it so much easier in inters. I’m sure I went 12 seconds faster or there abouts. I learned a lot from faster guys on 600’s because I’m on the 750 I could be close to them at the end of the straights and then see their lines. The timed euros have much less people in the wrong groups though and that’s probably got a lot to do with it.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I had maybe 10 years 'off' trackdays, I was mostly racing during that time. When I decided to do a trackday in 2014 things had changed ALOT!

They no longer had scrutineering to make sure your had brake pads in, etc.. and 99% of the peeps there were on 'track' bikes.

Back in the day almost everyone rode their on bike there and home at the end of the day, there seems to be almost none of that anymore.

There's bikes that wouldn't look out of place at a BSB meeting. I always used to go in inters, but if I was taking a road bike I'd probably be scared of all the pukka race kit in there now.